• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VR Winter Operating Plan

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just received this email:

"With summer turning to fall in just a few days, the cooler temperatures and changing leaves have us dreaming of winter. We could not be more excited to welcome you back to our resorts for the 2021-22 ski and ride season.

Vail Resorts’ commitment to safety continues to be at the center of everything we do, including our planning for the 2021-22 winter season. Our goal is to keep our guests, employees and communities safe and to keep our mountains open for a long, successful ski and ride season.

This season, we are focused on COVID-19 safety protocols in indoor spaces. We are fortunate that the core of our experience takes place outdoors in vast mountain settings. However, as we welcome guests from around the world to the indoor experience at our resorts, we feel it’s important to do our part to combat the spread of COVID-19.

To this end, the key details of our 2021-22 Winter Operating Plan this season will include the following (all are subject to changing local public health guidelines and changing dynamics surrounding COVID-19):

• Mountain Access: We will not have a mountain reservation system this season and will load lifts and gondolas at normal capacity, optimizing guest movement around our resorts.
  • Face Coverings: Face coverings will be required in indoor settings, including in our restaurants, lodging properties, restrooms, retail and rental locations, and on buses. Face coverings will not be required outdoors, in lift lines, or on chairlifts or gondolas, unless required by local public health. (For example, Whistler Blackcomb requires face coverings on gondolas due to orders from the Provincial Health Authority of British Columbia).
  • Dining – Reservations: Like last season, guests will be required to book a reservation to eat at many of our on-mountain restaurants. However, based on current regulations, we are expecting significantly more seating and dining capacity than last season, and we intend to open reservations one day prior, versus the day-of last season.
  • Dining – Vaccinations: Guests will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccinations to dine at our indoor, on-mountain quick-service (cafeteria-style) restaurants. Proof of vaccination will be required for guests ages 12 and over at those locations. This requirement includes those guests 12 and over in our ski and ride school programs that include lunch. More details on the verification process will be released ahead of the season on our resort websites. Consistent with many other large-scale indoor activities and venues, we believe the vaccine requirement is important for the protection of our guests and our employees, given the number of people using these facilities and the fact that guests will not be wearing face coverings while eating and drinking. This is currently the only part of our experience that will require proof of vaccination, unless required by local public health. (For example, Whistler Blackcomb requires proof of COVID-19 vaccinations in all indoor restaurants, restaurant patios and bars due to orders from the Provincial Health Authority of British Columbia).
  • Employee Safety: We will be requiring all of our employees to have COVID-19 vaccinations for their safety and protection as well as the safety and protection of our guests and communities, and in compliance with the recent rules announced under the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Indoor face coverings, enhanced hygiene practices, daily employee health screenings, and other health and safety measures will also continue.
More information and Frequently Asked Questions about our safety protocols can be found on our Commitment to Safety page. Again, please know that all policies are subject to change based on the evolving nature of the pandemic as well as local public health guidelines. We encourage you to check resort websites prior to visiting this season for the latest information.

We are grateful for your understanding and cooperation once again this year as we work together to provide a safe and enjoyable mountain experience for all. We look forward to seeing you on the mountain soon.

Thank you,

Rob Katz

CEO Vail Resorts"

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I wonder how they will track proof of vaccination. Maybe we can upload a picture of it and it will get tracked on the pass product?

Seems dumb to provide the actual copy out of a pocket multiple times. Likely to destroy the original or lose it with gloves and pockets full of all sorts of things.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Ok with it all except the “show papers”. I don’t care you stand vax or no vax. I’ll never be ok with showing papers.

I suspect pass holders will be able to upload scans of their CDC cards and then the “papers please check” will be a pass scan similar to what happens when you are in the lift line. Day pass skiers might need to show the CDC card at the ticket window or upload a scan if they purchase a pass online.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A common 4"x3" ID/pass card holder works great to protect the vaccination card. They're cheap at any office supply store. I know, you can't buy one. Get a 10-pack for about $6 and give some to family & friends.

An iPhone has its Notes section where it can scan a document including the vax card. This may be handier than the photo section where the pic of the vax card may be with a thousand other pics. Do carry a photo of your card in addition to the card which may get lost while on your trip. Ditto for a photo or photocopy of your passport when traveling foreign.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wonder how they will track proof of vaccination. Maybe we can upload a picture of it and it will get tracked on the pass product?

Seems dumb to provide the actual copy out of a pocket multiple times. Likely to destroy the original or lose it with gloves and pockets full of all sorts of things.

At least here in CO you can create an account that is tied to your drivers license. It's called myVaccine record. The app is called myColorado. It knows if you have been vaccinated and uploads the info to your phone. It provides pretty much the same record as the paper card given to you when you were vaccinated. It is official proof you were vaccinated. No clue if it's only valid for use in CO. No clue how people from out of state will provide accepted proof other than the paper copy.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems like good progress

We've avoided a scan based system so far but maybe its on the way. Things are different in in different parts of the country and state restrictions will vary.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
In California you can get a QR code of your vax status, I imagine most states do the same.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Epic fail. Vail is requiring its employees to be vaxed, as well as all patrons at indoor resturants and such. If the vaccine is suppose to protect people, then why require masks indoors? Plus, they acknowledge people won't be wearing masks while eating so why bother with masks at all at resturants?

Better yet, it appears they are going to allow unvaccinated people to ride in gondolas under normal loading, which means mixed groups and singles. I can't think of a smaller and more enclosed space with no real air circulation than gondolas. The last thing I want is my under 12 year old unvaccinated child riding in a gondola with an unvaccinated adult.

This isn't a science-based policy, it's arbitrary.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Interesting to see how Vail is handling this. My guess is that these Covid safety measures will vary a lot state to state and will change over the course of the year based on what happens with infection rates. My gut tells me that there will be some states that mandate masks and vaccinations similar to what we have seen with restaurants and indoor activities. Bottom line is if you are not vaccinated and willing to show proof of it your activities will be restricted in the coming year. I also think wish washy protocols will be beefed up and standardized over time. In many ways we are still figuring out how to navigate what is now a greatly prolonged pandemic.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Epic fail. Vail is requiring its employees to be vaxed, as well as all patrons at indoor resturants and such. If the vaccine is suppose to protect people, then why require masks indoors? Plus, they acknowledge people won't be wearing masks while eating so why bother with masks at all at resturants?

Better yet, it appears they are going to allow unvaccinated people to ride in gondolas under normal loading, which means mixed groups and singles. I can't think of a smaller and more enclosed space with no real air circulation than gondolas. The last thing I want is my under 12 year old unvaccinated child riding in a gondola with an unvaccinated adult.

This isn't a science-based policy, it's arbitrary that they just happened to announce several days after they hit your credit card for season passes.
"and in compliance with the recent rules announced under the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration."
If you'd been following the news, you would know that the Dept of Labor has required all businesses employing more than 100(?) people to require vax to continue to be eligible to work.

You should probably follow the link in the email, it addresses most of your complaints, as you have misstated much of this year's policy.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Im fine with showing my vac papers but I hope they don't make their hourly workers police people and deal with pissed of folks. I saw too many lifites catching the rage from skiers pissed about mask/chair mandates the management made.

Agreed! A 24-year-old hostess in a restaurant in NYC was assaulted this weekend in an argument with a tourist unfamiliar with the laws and regulations. :huh: So unfair to these poorly-paid, poorly-equipped young people.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
"and in compliance with the recent rules announced under the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration."
If you'd been following the news, you would know that the Dept of Labor has required all businesses employing more than 100(?) people to require vax to continue to be eligible to work.

You should probably follow the link in the email, it addresses most of your complaints, as you have misstated much of this year's policy.

You missed my point, and maybe you should read the FAQs in the link you referenced to understand it:

Will you be physical distancing on chairlifts and gondolas?
No. We will load lifts and gondolas at normal capacity, optimizing guest movement around our resorts.

Do I need a vaccine to ski and ride this season?
No. If you wish to access our resorts to ski and ride this season, a vaccination will not be required. Vaccines will also not be required in outdoor spaces such lift lines, chairlifts, gondolas, outdoor restaurants and restaurant patios, or in indoor spaces such as restrooms, lodging properties, full-service restaurants, and retail and rental locations. However, if you wish to access our indoor, on-mountain quick-service restaurants, proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for those 12 and older.

So, it looks like I accurately stated the policy as it pertains to guests riding gondolas, and the potential issue of Covid infected people riding with unvaccinated children.

I'm also not questioning the vaccine mandate for employees (right or wrong), but question the logic of requiring masks in a quick serve restaurant when you are requiring all persons in the place to show proof of vaccination, while also allowing them not to wear them while eating.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed! A 24-year-old hostess in a restaurant in NYC was assaulted this weekend in an argument with a tourist unfamiliar with the laws and regulations. :huh: So unfair to these poorly-paid, poorly-equipped young people.

It's amazing what you can see when you look. There are plenty of signage in NYC on the indoor dining vaccine requirement. There were trying to sneak in two unvaccinated guys and got caught. Those folks have won a bonus extension to there NYC vacation. Their court date is scheduled for Oct 5th.

So unfair to these poorly-paid, poorly-equipped young people.

IDK. I skied 98 days on my Ikon and Taos pass last season. Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush, Taos, Deer Valley, Snowbird, Olympic Valley and Mammoth. Mask compliance was literally 100%. Didn't witness any push back from the skiers towards the resort employees. Perhaps Epic resorts patrons had a differing experience. :huh:

You missed my point, and maybe you should read the FAQs in the link you referenced to understand it:

Will you be physical distancing on chairlifts and gondolas?
No. We will load lifts and gondolas at normal capacity, optimizing guest movement around our resorts.

Do I need a vaccine to ski and ride this season?
No. If you wish to access our resorts to ski and ride this season, a vaccination will not be required. Vaccines will also not be required in outdoor spaces such lift lines, chairlifts, gondolas, outdoor restaurants and restaurant patios, or in indoor spaces such as restrooms, lodging properties, full-service restaurants, and retail and rental locations. However, if you wish to access our indoor, on-mountain quick-service restaurants, proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for those 12 and older.

So, it looks like I accurately stated the policy as it pertains to guests riding gondolas.

I'm also not questioning the vaccine mandate for employees (right or wrong), but question the logic of requiring masks in a quick serve restaurant when you are requiring all persons in the place to show proof of vaccination, while also allowing them not to wear them while eating.

Perhaps it's Vail's way of culling the herd.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I never witnessed anyone giving the lifties a hard time, but I saw plenty of non-compliance or semi-compliance (put it on when you're told, then let it hang under your nose as soon as you move on).

Maybe it is Epic locations! I saw this at Hunter, mostly, and Jack Frost! :roflmao: