• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VT or NH Big Mountain for New Skiers

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
and maybe rule out Sunapee as the learning terrain mentioned is really nice but separate from the main mountain, so won't have that big mountain feel. (I've been to both of those and the others mentioned, except for Bretton Woods.)

The problem with keeping her on the main mountain is that you run into Every-Run-Is-Blue-At-Top steepness profile of glaciated valleys. And speeder conflicts/ filtering at the bottom.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's worth the drive for a big mountain feel, but how about NY places, like Plattekill say?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem with keeping her on the main mountain is that you run into Every-Run-Is-Blue-At-Top steepness profile of glaciated valleys. And speeder conflicts/ filtering at the bottom.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's worth the drive for a big mountain feel, but how about NY places, like Plattekill say?

Belleayre would be my choice for the beginner area skiing, not for the ambience.

It's possible that the OP and daughter just wants to get away for an adventure to a take in the "je ne sais quoi" of a big mountain ski resort in winter. If the daughter practices/lessons enough at Sundown and they delay the trip till later in the season, any number of places with green top to bottom runs could be a winner.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Bretton Woods is a big mountain - for New England.
But it isn't filled with thrilling steeps. Gentle pitches abound.
It's family friendly, and great for beginners and intermediates.
Bretton Woods History - New Hampshire - NewEnglandSkiHistory.com

There are green trails and easy blues off every lift.
page1image3307885824

It offers big vistas from the summits.
Bretton Woods Mountain Resort - Wikipedia

There are alternative things to do - try the zip line.
A Day at Bretton Woods Mountain Resort - New England Today

It gets good snow into the season.
Wait for late January or February for all the terrain to be open.
Bretton Woods, NH

It's got a gondola, and a new lodge at the summit.
Bretton Woods sees some love on a worldwide scale - New England Ski Journal

There's something grand and historic across the street - the
Mount Washington Hotel.
3 & 2 Bedroom Condos in Heart of Bretton Woods Resort - Carroll

Don't miss après in the lobby. Ski clothes welcome, but not boots.
Esterno Mount Washington Resort - Picture of Omni Mount Washington Resort,  Bretton Woods - Tripadvisor

You can sit beneath the moose and play checkers.
Historic Hotels & Lodges: The Mount Washington Hotel

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Belleayre would be my choice for the beginner area skiing, not for the ambience.

It's possible that the OP and daughter just wants to get away for an adventure to a take in the "je ne sais quoi" of a big mountain ski resort in winter. If the daughter practices/lessons enough at Sundown and they delay the trip till later in the season, any number of places with green top to bottom runs could be a winner.

If they delay the trip to March, she might be ready for Mt. Bachelor :)

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I am planning to teach someone to ski, a never ever, then I bring them to Pat's Peak in Henniker NH. Its far away the best learn to ski beginner destination of all mentioned above (in my opinion). Its 700 ft vertical with skiing off the back side as well. Its skis bigger than it sounds. My reasons are:
its relatively small, so one walkable parking lot
two side by side base lodges, central location and not all spread out
enough lifts so lines rarely get long
much lower priced tickets than say Kton
Their learning slopes, and the steps from one level to the next are ideal. An almost flat 1st run area, a slightly more pitched second lesson area (both with magic carpets) and then a medium length chair feeding a very easy couple of green runs. Someone learning can usually ride the chair before the end of the day and feel very confident.
There's plenty of other runs and chairs once you are ready to get off the greens.

It is not the "big" mtn experience of the area's mentioned above. They will have beautiful views, multiple lodges and parking lots, very spread out, much more terrain, and typically much higher ticket prices. They are all great for sure, depends on what you are looking for, in your next step up from your local "bump".
When my son was learning to ski we spent a lot of time at Pat's. The trips were part of an after school ski program for middle schoolers and I chaperoned. We did it for a couple seasons and have some great ski memories from that time, and I agree, it does ski bigger than it is.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Being CT based, I'll throw out Butternut as good easy terrain that isn't too far. (Berkshires)

Pico is laid back family friendly not crowded, but has the same issue James raised, the green trails have some mandatory blue. It's short, but its blue.

Killington has a great progression of terrain, but can be crowded on a Saturday.

Jay has a great beginner chair, but it's just that one run. Plus they have a waterpark.

Saskadena 6 might be good for a quiet green day and branch out to Okemo, Killington or Pico from there.

Reactions: tch

Heiusa

Booting up
Skier
Just to clear something up-
Okemo really has very little “beginner” terrain. Almost all greens have short steep parts that are solid blue. Or, it’s crowded in sections with other skiers. Drives us crazy.

Easiest for real beginning is to start at the Jackson Gore magic carpets. But then there’s a problem progressing to the next step. The lower chair accesses a “green” back to the bottom. That green has a blue section funneling into a bridge over a railroad track. (Active maybe 2x per day). It’s not that easy.

I tell people to go to Sunapee. Has it’s own beginner section away from everyone else

Killington has quite good beginner stuff at Snowshed and Ramshead from what I can see casually. Don’t dismiss it. Plus, you could always take the gondola up to the top for lunch and a spectacular view on a clear day, then take it down.
Actually, you can take the K1 gondola to the top of Killington Peak and then ski Bear Trax / Snowshed Crossover / Great Eastern all the way to the bottom of the Skyship Gondola, which is approx 4 miles of continuous skiing. Then you take take the Skyship to the mid station, get off and take the Northbrook Quad, from there you can ski back to the bottom of the K1 gondola.

James

Out There
Instructor
Eh, that word choice makes one think they're looking for a Kicking Horse-type top-to-bottom cat track. In the East.
I think Europe would be a very good contender. (Hey, it’s East) Miles long beginner trails. The big question, like anywhere else, what do trail level do you have to go through to get there?

Beyond my knowledge to recommend anywhere.

I still think the ski areas should standardize a “learning trail” designation. Maximum pitch, also not a thorough fare for other skiers.

Possibly one reason they don’t, is many places would come up very short. Some of the best learning areas had condos built on the land long ago.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think Europe would be a very good contender. (Hey, it’s East) Miles long beginner trails. The big question, like anywhere else, what do trail level do you have to go through to get there?

Beyond my knowledge to recommend anywhere.

Or, slightly more driveable, Quebec. MSA has green off the top and is plenty enough to give a beginner big mountain feel.

Bonus: poutine and ginormous cafe au lait

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Eh, that word choice makes one think they're looking for a Kicking Horse-type top-to-bottom cat track. In the East.
No, @dbostedo is correct.

Having her ski what she's comfortable with at Sundown is great great because it will boost her confidence and she'll have fun doing it. But invariably that will become boring and I don't want to leap frog her to something way more difficult unless it's her choice.

Some mountains have more greens that are palatable for someone in that phase of learning while others have less, that's all.

2Old4Rails

Super Serious Athlete
Skier
Smuggler's Notch has some of the best value up there and you can dabble at Stowe while you are there. Some of the lifts are slow just FYI, very slow but you might like the vibe.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Smugs is beginner / family friendly but a long haul from CT. Closer to home: Stratton has genuine beginner terrain and variety, is relatively mellow crowd wise ( except holidays) and a sort of eastern big mtn ambience ; Mt Snow as well but is crazy town .
one suggestion: get her skills up to solid beginner level locally and then plan an early spring or mid to late winter trip to Palisades Tahoe ( aka Squaw Valley). A real wide open big mtn with the virtue of acres of actual beginner terrain at the top - take the tram up- that besides spectacular views of Lake Tahoe and the High Sierra is isolated from the rest of the terrain Squaw, er PT is known for. The chsirs in that area ( Off High Camp) are relatively slow and v beginner friendly. Plus, there are a number of greens/ blues nearby to advance to once more confident and skilled. Though note that PT is a great example of how trail ratings are relative to the area: blue runs there would be solid black at Stratton and the blacks are, well, nothing equivalent at Stratton.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
one suggestion: get her skills up to solid beginner level locally and then plan an early spring or mid to late winter trip to Palisades Tahoe ( aka Squaw Valley). A real wide open big mtn with the virtue of acres of actual beginner terrain at the top - take the tram up- that besides spectacular views of Lake Tahoe and the High Sierra is isolated from the rest of the terrain Squaw, er PT is known for. The chsirs in that area ( Off High Camp) are relatively slow and v beginner friendly. Plus, there are a number of greens/ blues nearby to advance to once more confident and skilled.

^ Can confirm, have taken many beginners up there. Empty in spring.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m liking the sound of this upside-down beginner setup at Palisades-Tahoe with easy trails at the top.
Beautiful vistas are a big perk of skiing. Usually, not available to lower level skiers.

Wherever you go, in the east especially, crowds can determine the experience. An uncrowded green trail is completely different to a crowded one with high speed human slalom skiers.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa, whoa... going to Palisades is a HUGE commitment compared to driving up to, say, Stratton or Bretton Woods from Connecticut. There are several western mountains with good high-altitude beginner terrain (Beaver Creek and Copper also come to mind)... but that's not what the OP asked for.

So far, it seems like Stratton or Bretton Woods are good options. What about Sunday River? It's Maine, not New Hampshire/Vermont though.

James

Out There
Instructor
What about Sunday River? It's Maine,
Might as well go to Denver or Salt Lake. ogsmile You could get to skiing quicker flying to Salt lake or Denver (Loveland).

Mini Lake Tahoe: Mt Sunapee, NH
Not sure about green trails from the top.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mini Lake Tahoe: Mt Sunapee, NH
Not sure about green trails from the top.
There's not much green at Sunapee, except for the separate beginner area.

Mount Snow was briefly mentioned earlier... it also has some long greens from the top or close to it. And it pretty close to Connecticut. But I've only been there one day and don't remember what that terrain was like.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anywhere in southern VT or NH is pretty benign with the exception of Magic which offers more challenging terrain.

Sponsor

Staff online