• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VT or NH Big Mountain for New Skiers

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@GreenAthlete49, I've got just one more promo for Bretton Woods.

It's continuously put down for its "flat" groomers. I consider this a plus for beginners, novices, and cautious intermediates. Skiers who like to bomb steep groomers for the thrill of speed avoid Bretton Woods. They go to Cannon instead, and brag in the bar afterwards. I've taught at both mountains, so I know.

Weekend crowds at any mountain pose a problem for beginners. A beginner concerned about gaining speed will take up a lot of trail doing traverses to slow down between turns. This is the right thing to do. But it puts that beginner in danger of being run into by faster skiers coming down the trail from above. Speeding skiers are often not good at predicting what beginner/novice skiers below them are going to do next. They just aren't thinking about the danger their speed presents to the slower skiers below. This is sad, but it's human nature.

A beginner will most likely NOT be run over by such skiers while traversing a trail for speed control at Bretton Woods. BW is mocked and avoided by speed demons. They just won't go there. It's too expensive, too flat, and doesn't have the vibe they want to brag about. Plus snowboarders, who have a blind side, don't often ski Bretton Woods.

And the mountain is wide, so when all the terrain is open, skiers spread out. This thins out the crowds. As I've mentioned before, every lift (except the T-bar) has a green groomer route down to the base when everything is open. So novices have a variety of trails to ski.

General rule: a beginner/novice will be unlikely to be run into from behind at Bretton Woods. These days one should consider this as a pressing issue. The slopes everywhere in New England have been crowded since Covid struck, and "meat missiles" are a common problem at most mountains on weekends.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree with Bretton Woods. Up 91 to 93 south cut through Twin Mountain and your there. Like some have pointed out, base sits fairly high for the east (1500 ft) with the "Big Mountain" blocking storms as they go by, they get nice refresher's. We did a multi-family trip when kids were young. Stayed at the Bretton Woods Inn across from the Mt Washington Everyone had a good time though it was mighty cold. Some really fun low angle woods if your into trees

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OP, so it seems you are based in CT even though your location says Vermont. As a long-time NW CT resident and skier and father of skiers, here is what I say. Sundown is not a really great place to ski once your daughter has progressed past the very beginner slope. Many of the runs are actually pretty steep for how short the vertical is, and is often crowded with high school hotshots. I'd suggest you move on to Butternut in Great Barrington next: it is mostly all green and blue even from the top and will be a good move "up" in terms of length of run and getting used to a larger area. After a couple of days at Sundown, your daughter could probably ski 70% of the mountain at Butternut. That would lead to a greater sense of confidence and ownership. Then, the next step would be Bretton Woods, as @LiquidFeet has suggested.

While several of the other areas mentioned here have decent beginner terrain in specific places, the progression I suggest would lead your daughter through the areas with the most terrain at a reasonable gradient. She won't feel stuck in one area at either Butternut or BW, and that sense of getting comfortable with a bigger scope will be invaluable in getting her comfortable going to bigger, somewhat steeper, areas in the future.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Whoa, whoa... going to Palisades is a HUGE commitment compared to driving up to, say, Stratton or Bretton Woods from Connecticut. There are several western mountains with good high-altitude beginner terrain (Beaver Creek and Copper also come to mind)... but that's not what the OP asked for.

We know...we're stretching what he asked for and giving him and his daughter something to look forward to

I’m liking the sound of this upside-down beginner setup at Palisades-Tahoe with easy trails at the top.
Beautiful vistas are a big perk of skiing. Usually, not available to lower level skiers.

#scenicgreenterrain

1668319861741.png

Last edited:

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Another vote for Bretton Woods.

Sunday River has the most beginner terrain in the East. Would only recommend it midweek though- weekends are wayyyy to busy especially as some of the beginner trails are connecting trails used by advanced skiers. Beginners can access most of the lifts too which is cool rather than being confined to just a few. Sunday River is probably the only resort in the East where a beginner can ski for 2 or 3 days and not get bored.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whoa, whoa... going to Palisades is a HUGE commitment compared to driving up to, say, Stratton or Bretton Woods from Connecticut. There are several western mountains with good high-altitude beginner terrain (Beaver Creek and Copper also come to mind)... but that's not what the OP asked for.

So far, it seems like Stratton or Bretton Woods are good options. What about Sunday River? It's Maine, not New Hampshire/Vermont though.
Yup, heading to PT is a large commitment from CT , HOWEVER; what I was suggesting was rather than spend the entire season doing the weekend drill back and forth to VT ( wherever) , head to PT later in the season for a ski week or extended W/E. Not only as a reward or incentive for all the effort to become a low intermediate or advanced beginner ( oxymoron?) but for a real change of pace from New England skiing that even a low level skier can enjoy.
I did this with my two boys : they learned to ski and race out of Stratton but I took them each late March/ April to Squaw. They, and I loved the change of pace. And, yes, there are plenty of Colorado resorts also that would fit the bill but the late season ( March / early April) at PT is v dependable, the Wx usually great, and getting there can be straightforward from Southern NE.
Twas just a thought or option for after spending most of the season learning in VT, NH , or Maine. Not a dis on NE skiing BTW: i grew up there, learned there, raced there and still would eagerly go back . Though have to say I do find the weather and typical conditions here ( Tahoe) more agreeable in the twilight of my skiing career.

Raymond Slarver

Booting up
Skier
Yes. When there has been enough natural snow..... Usually guaranteed by mid January. Maybe later this year.
Hopefully! But you never know. Two years ago in mid-February I got up to BW for a day during a MWV long weekend; there were some alright skied-out glades to be had here and there, but the Stickney T-bar and glades were MIA. I was a little bummed, because it had been around 7-8 years since I'd been to BW and I'd yet to ski that part of the resort. Fingers crossed for better luck this year.

Sponsor