• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Atlas

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I feel like I'm living another thread. Seems the Korean kids are out. Explorer, Highlander, Pilot is the target.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The one person I know that owns one hates it. For reference he was coming from a Volvo V90 with some modifications including a bigger turbo and the other vehicle in the household is a BMW 3 series coupe.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
The one person I know that owns one hates it. For reference he was coming from a Volvo V90 with some modifications including a bigger turbo and the other vehicle in the household is a BMW 3 series coupe.
I mean, it's a big ass panzer, but this is just family transport. Minivans are off the list..... :(

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
IMO, family transport means rock solid reliable which, IMO, doesn't go with a VW Atlas.
So what next? Biggest box not a minivan. Pilot? Full size is not practical at this time. Ministry of finance...

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So what next? Biggest box not a minivan. Pilot? Full size is not practical at this time. Ministry of finance...
Don't ask me. I've been driving a 3+ ton beast for close to 2 decades and will always recommend going big. IMO, if you want to go big don't do it half way. Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban/Yukon EXT if you need really big. If you're a Ford guy you could do an Expedition.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Don't ask me. I've been driving a 3+ ton beast for close to 2 decades and will always recommend going big. IMO, if you want to go big don't do it half way. Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban/Yukon EXT if you need really big. If you're a Ford guy you could do an Expedition.
Love the suburban. Maybe I'll sell a kid.. :ogbiggrin:

Reactions: Ogg

jtrain

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Actually, I bought a 2018 Atlas, new. Would be a great family ski car, but… tons of electronic glitches. Airbag, air conditioning control, collision avoidance, premature battery failure. While most of the problems are not going to leave you stranded, not the kind of vehicle I am really comfortable with taking to a remote location.
On the bright side, it is really roomy. We had 6 adults in there, comfortably, driving from Napa to Northern Washington.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Family transport calls for minivan. AWD is an option with Chrysler or Toyota. Ignore the American obsession with image and make the most practical and economical decision.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After driving my Audi Allroad off the road, and into 3' of nasty old snow, on the way from CB to Washington State I purchased a used 2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport in Grand Junction, CO. A replacement car was necessary since the Allroad was gonna be held hostage in an auto body shop for some months due to parts shortages. Needed space for considerable "stuff" I was hauling including one pair of skis. AWD with 6cyl engine which gave me a bit over 20 mpg for the 1300 mile drive. Admittedly little time with the car but it was comfortable and handled well. I'd wondered about the Atlas since buying one for a granddaughter in need a couple of years ago. Hers worked well for her, two kids and 3 dogs. It was the original 3 row seat model. I'd have kept mine if I'd not had another Allroad (and a TT coupe) which I prefer to the Atlas due to size of the vehicle. I'm sure someone else will or may be enjoying the Cross Sport, don't know as I sold it to my Audi dealer, and have no idea where the car is now.

1660531624623.jpeg

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
VW, Audi, Porsche, two things in common, surprisingly large inside compared to the outside (think Tartis) and all have electrical issues sooner or later.

As to GM or Ford, our friend that works in the Limo business swears by Ford (lower maintenance costs and problems) even though GM is more recognized.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We looked at the Atlas but for the $$ the Palisade offered more, including a big warranty. Granted, we were kind if stuck for a vehicle at the time and didn't get to look around a lot. One thing I wish I had done was join a Facebook group for different vehicles. There you get the good, bad, and ugly, plus who's jacking prices and who isn't.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online