• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Atlas

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Atlas was on my short list.... but when Toyota announced the Highlander Hybrid with 35 mpg combined.... I bought a Highlander Hybrid Platinum AWD instead.

The VR6 on the Atlas, if you uncork the exhaust, has the classic VR exhaust note.

But I don't mind having a smaller than the competition midsize SUV. It's not like I had a 2016 Tiguan, which was a smaller than the competition compact SUV.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have to agree with this. Mid size SUV's have the space of a small SUV and the economy of a large one.
This is definitely larger inside than my previous SUV and much better economy.

Untitled by thisistan, on Flickr

Mammoth by thisistan, on Flickr

Granted, the small SUV I had had the fuel economy of the typical midsize SUV.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Suburu Ascent is probably in the “you aim it” category rather than drive it. Also very easy to find yourself doing 80mph. Would be interesting to drive one like @nay ’s with smaller wheels and Falken tires.

Definitely worth consideration.
The Ascent in Touring trim is pretty amazing - C&D drives the pedestrian mid level trim and they don’t like CVT…which I’d agree except they play very nice with a turbo especially at altitude where the 2.4L 4 cyl has better power at the ready than the big V8s.

It’s not really a driver’s car, but then why bother with big vehicles. Extremely capable with a correction in wheel size and tires, but I’d really only buy it in Touring where for under $50k it really shines.

4972CDD9-49DC-4615-ACB9-F544065EDFE3.jpeg

BBBA461B-24AC-4013-A7F2-1AC58114AAE7.jpeg

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So just did some research. The Ascent is by far the cheapest of the mid SUVs. Next is the Atlas also relatively cheap. @nay how is yours? Specifically the cvt and motor. Here the ascent starts $8k below the Honda Pilot and company...

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So just did some research. The Ascent is by far the cheapest of the mid SUVs. Next is the Atlas also relatively cheap. @nay how is yours? Specifically the cvt and motor. Here the ascent starts $8k below the Honda Pilot and company...
My friend has one and loves it. He went to get another Forester but they didn't have any to sell so he bought a loaded Ascent. :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
It has plenty of power. I’m not a fan of cvt either, but it’s better than the older ones. It’s boaty, but is what it is.
Nay likes the Touring edition, and replaced the 20” rims with 18in I think.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Touring edition is a luxury car. I doubt I’d buy any other model.

The CVT with turbo is a dream at high altitude, it just eliminates grade and elevation.

Not a driver’s car, but what is these days?

C452F72A-9C44-4DC6-AF17-A172B7410BC4.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online