• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Atlas

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own a 2020 Tiguan (the "larger" one, not the tiny original style). Just over 40K miles on it, and absolutely love it. I test drove an Atlas, and to me it felt "cumbersome"...but it was a lower level, and my experience upgrading to larger wheels/tires on the Tiguan tells me a larger wheel/ lower profile tire may have helped that a lot. I have seen as high as 39 mpg on highway trips, but typical highway MPG is around 32. I think overall mpg from the beginning has been around 25 (it's logged in the car's computer)
We've owned a number of VWs over the years...never had any issues with them, with some going over 200K miles. But with VW's, like every car, you don't want to buy the first year or two of production, pretty much ALL cars have problems that need to be ironed out. I've owned Ford and GM products...wouldnt buy another unless I planned to trade or sell it after 3 years., they start falling apart and nickel and dimeing you to death. I've had very good luck with Mitsubishis, but they haven't really updated their product line in over a decade, and parts are pretty much only available through the dealer (at high $$$)

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree..
What's the issue with the JGC? I've owned a few and within my family we have had 10+. They've all, no exceptions, been great, reliable, all purpose vehicles.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still have our 2012 Chevy traverse for fam transport. Tons of space and good for graded dirt roads. Camping trips etc. Has been reliable and worked well. Only issues have been security system glitch fixed with sw update a decade ago and recently the hvac system needing repair a bit earlier than expected for a 10 yo car.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd buy a Tiguan, but in the Atlas class, probably go with a Subaru Ascent -- and I'm no Subie fan.

Actually, I'd just buy a minivan and get over it, dude! ;)

We've got a 2011 Sienna AWD and would have a new one if Toyota hadn't ruined the new version with non-removable second row seats, so we'll undoubtedly end up with ChryCo's version somewhere down the line.

Reactions: tch

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
One friend has owned a 2020 Atlas since new: 3 school-age kids plus a small dog. Lots of 3-hour roadtrips. They love it. That said, I would agree that for the same money, I'd want to go with the Kia/Hyundai option, but at least in Quebec, those Korean trucks are way more desired and marked-up, so they aren't, as it turns out, the same money.

To wit, another friend recently leased an Atlas Cross Sport at a very discounted rate. He was looking for a smaller but still-practical 2nd car to complement their 3-row SUV, but the VW dealership gave them an offer on the Cross Sport that was too good to pass up. So far, he's enjoying it. Apparently someone at his office car park has a Lamborghini Urus in the same oh-so-trendy 'crayon gray' paintjob, and he insists that the two trucks are almost indistinguishable :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm listening.. :) tell me more..
Comfortable, reliable, plenty of space inside. Great for snow and whatever winter weather you will see in civilization. Depending on the trim you can get a basic up to a luxurious cabin. Worth a look at least to see for yourself.

If Jeep didn't make a Wrangler, we'd have a GC in the driveway. Alas, the top removal on the GC is a bit more involved and irreversible given it takes a Sawzall.

James

Out There
Instructor
Suburu Ascent is probably in the “you aim it” category rather than drive it. Also very easy to find yourself doing 80mph. Would be interesting to drive one like @nay ’s with smaller wheels and Falken tires.

Definitely worth consideration.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Actually, I bought a 2018 Atlas, new. Would be a great family ski car, but… tons of electronic glitches. Airbag, air conditioning control, collision avoidance, premature battery failure. While most of the problems are not going to leave you stranded, not the kind of vehicle I am really comfortable with taking to a remote location.
On the bright side, it is really roomy. We had 6 adults in there, comfortably, driving from Napa to Northern Washington.

I have a 2018 I've had since new. I've got around 90k on it. SE version so not many fancy electronics. Had a few of the recalls done, but never been left stranded. Gone as far as Florida (from MA) with it and it's been great in the snow on trips to go skiing. It has been a magnet for door dings and scratches.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So the Pathfinder is well equipped and reasonably priced. Anyone have one? The atlas is also fairly well equipped for the money. Jeep GC is damned expensive. I'd have to hunt for bargains.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My opinion: The Atlas and all VWs have quality issues and I also get complaints about the poor design of their infotainment systems. VW is also having supply chain issues that are causing significant repair delays. Of course, they're not alone with this problem but they seem to be having a worse time than most in dealing with it. Post-warranty parts are expensive, too. I'm still a fan of Japanese vehicles. If has to be American I'll pick Ford.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had about 15 VW's and own one now, and I am not sure the Atlas would be in the top 10 of the vehicles I would consider in this segment.

Reactions: tch
TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I have had about 15 VW's and own one now, and I am not sure the Atlas would be in the top 10 of the vehicles I would consider in this segment.
Car and driver agrees with you.. they rank them Kia, Hyundai, Jeep, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Honda... Subaru is a distant 16 or something...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Durango? Dated architecture but I've driven them, and I'd own one.

Fundamentally a Jeep GC clone with more wheelbase and overall length.

Lengthy cargo areas are a friend to skiers and bikers!

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Durango? Dated architecture but I've driven them, and I'd own one.

Fundamentally a Jeep GC clone with more wheelbase and overall length.

Lengthy cargo areas are a friend to skiers and bikers!
That's one thing about the Outback. Long narrow cargo area. Not terrible.

Sponsor