• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

W Champs Parallel Slalom: Men vs Womens times

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seems that no one in this conversation is taking into account course difficulty. Yes, I have seen top level masters racers be close to par with USST women in simple beer league races (i.e. short and flat). However, I doubt that would hold true on a WC/EC SL or GS course.

I seem to recall that Marlies Schild was a forerunner for one of the men's WC night SL back in the day and that she would have been within the top 30. Not likely any masters racer would be able to pull that off.
"Masters Racer" is a very broad category. Anybody can sign up for Masters at any age above 18 years and any skill level from never ever to somebody who should have made a national team but didn't because of politics or maybe they didn't athletically mature until they were in their mid 20's or even early 30's. Then there are people who were extremely low FIS points while younger and just walked away from ski racing to move on in life because there is no money in it. You have no idea how good they really are...until they jump back into a race course.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't know much about ski racing, so I'm probably wrong here. In many other sports, US high school boys competing at regional/national level will outperform if outright dominate Olympic winning female athletes in similar events. That's just biology.
That depends on the sport. In some sports, absolutely yes. High School ski racing in the U.S. is all over the place. Some people compete for their local high school with minimal training for fun. Some are more serious and compete for a weekend USSA club. Neither one of these are going to compete (never say never, there may be a few ultra rare exceptions) with an Olympic female ski racer. When you start looking at very low FIS point ski academy males who are racing NorAm or traveling to Europe for FIS then things may start looking different due to their training, skill set, and male strength advantage.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Seems that no one in this conversation is taking into account course difficulty. Yes, I have seen top level masters racers be close to par with USST women in simple beer league races (i.e. short and flat). However, I doubt that would hold true on a WC/EC SL or GS course.

I seem to recall that Marlies Schild was a forerunner for one of the men's WC night SL back in the day and that she would have been within the top 30. Not likely any masters racer would be able to pull that off.
You have wrong info about Schild... she would never be anywhere near top 30 on those two occasins when she forerun Schladming. And you need to consider that one year conditions were so bad, anyone out of top 10 starting bibs had knee deep root, while her track was perfectly flat (she was first one on course anyway), yet she would still never qualify for second run with her time (which was slightly more then 8sec of first men... on about 50sec course)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It's not really fair. The men have more natural testosterone and other "performance enhancing" hormones and (on average) more gravity force at their disposal. The only way for a woman to compete with the top men would be for a man to self-identify as a woman and the officials let that happen.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I also saw Mikaela ski. At Burke Mountain Academy. She absolutely could NOT beat the fastest males there even after making the WC.

That was a decade ago, and again, I said 'here', on this website, not all males in all circumstances...

Good lord. What is it about us, (men) that our egos are so fragile that we can't admit that women can ski faster than we do without a 'yeah but' ?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Somewhere on YouTube is one of the Shiffren-Kilde giggle fest interviews (five minutes of your life you’ll never get back). They mention a GS training course where for one run, Mikaela was faster than Kilde.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You have wrong info about Schild... she would never be anywhere near top 30 on those two occasins when she forerun Schladming. And you need to consider that one year conditions were so bad, anyone out of top 10 starting bibs had knee deep root, while her track was perfectly flat (she was first one on course anyway), yet she would still never qualify for second run with her time (which was slightly more then 8sec of first men... on about 50sec course)
Yeah, but she was not competing, so maybe she was skiing more conservatively, why risk getting hurt?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sure. This year in Soldeu on finals, if I remember correct, men and women were racing on same DH course. Stuhec who won women DH, was 1.3sec behind last man, and 3.5sec behind first man... on pretty easy and short course.

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
I have skied with WC skiers training at Copper years ago and as a descent ski racer I got my butt totally handed to me---not even close to the poorest WC racers. Miki will smoke the best high school boys anywhere any time. The US Nationals just finished up at Sun Valley so take a look at the results.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have skied with WC skiers training at Copper years ago and as a descent ski racer I got my butt totally handed to me---not even close to the poorest WC racers. Miki will smoke the best high school boys anywhere any time. The US Nationals just finished up at Sun Valley so take a look at the results.
Let's keep it real. Of course, skiers who spent most of there lives learning how to be the fastest skiers in a race course with the best training and coaching available and race for a living are going to kick any amature racers butt, strength and stamina gender advantage won't make up for all that training and preselection for training at an early age.
At one time, I am sure I could leg press more weight than Miki, but there is no way I could ever ski faster, unless it were in a straight line.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't care if WC men are faster. It's still a joy watching Mikaela and the women ski. Odd how Bode and ingemar seem to think she's pretty good, yet here we are chasing 'yeah buts' . :nono:

CDR114

Booting up
Skier
I've seen Mikaela ski. HS boys don't ski like her.
I will even go further than that, I was a referee at regional ski races and only the very top elite HS boys could beat Lindsey Kildow (Vonn) when she was a U14! Now take Lindsey at her prime, no contest! I have not seen Mikaela ski live, but I would guess the difference would even be greater. As a ski race coach, the big difference is when the boys reach 19-20 that strength and power combined with technique start to drastically make a difference. Not in HS.

late4gates

Pride comes before a fall.
Skier
It's just difficult for we mortals without first hand experience to really grasp how good these exceptional female athletes are.

Forgive me if this is too off topic, but this conversation reminded me of another exceptional athlete, Heather McKay. She was a Squash player (similar to racquetball) in the 60s and 70s who only lost two women's matches in a 23 year career and was undefeated for 21 years. She was so good, legend has it, that during her peak the only times she even played against women was in the British Open (essentially the World Championship). Most of the time she just went about her business crushing all but the top elite males.

When you're talking GOATs the frame of reference has shifted beyond normal comprehension.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jezuz, really? A scrimmage? The 'yeah but'-itis is telling. You don't think if this were a full on match that mattered, the outcome wouldn't be different?

No. Sorry but women are very bad at football. I would never say that about skiing or almost any other sport but football? Just no.
Same with men’s rhythmic gymnastics-just makes no sense.
I am all for equality and suchlike but there are sports like weightlifting, wrestling, boxing, open bodybuilding etc when you watch and can’t help but think: Why? What for?

I never watch women’s skiing, cycling, volleyball, athletics, swimming etc etc and feel sorry for the participants. Yeah, girls could be slower than men but they are just as technically perfect. Watching women’s football causes me acute case of Spanish shame. If you know what I mean…

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
No. Sorry but women are very bad at football. I would never say that about skiing or almost any other sport but football? Just no.
Same with men’s rhythmic gymnastics-just makes no sense.
I am all for equality and suchlike but there are sports like weightlifting, wrestling, boxing, open bodybuilding etc when you watch and can’t help but think: Why? What for?

I never watch women’s skiing, cycling, volleyball, athletics, swimming etc etc and feel sorry for the participants. Yeah, girls could be slower than men but they are just as technically perfect. Watching women’s football causes me acute case of Spanish shame. If you know what I mean…

Yeah, nah.

Nothing embarrassing about female athleticism playing football (or anything else).

May have been a valid point during the early days of lingerie league. But that quickly changed from slender supermodel look-a-likes to knock-em-down-take-no-prisoners warriors. Women like grinding their opponents into the dirt and winning too -whoda thunk it?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, nah.

Nothing embarrassing about female athleticism playing football (or anything else).

May have been a valid point during the early days of lingerie league. But that quickly changed from slender supermodel look-a-likes to knock-em-down-take-no-prisoners warriors. Women like grinding their opponents into the dirt and winning too -whoda thunk it?

Meh…I’d rather watch U12 kids.

And I meant football, not this rugby thingy. The one that is played with…feet you know, as the name suggests.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I was a US Soccer Federation Referee for many years, for kids through adults. At the higher levels of competitive teenagers and college level athletes, I definitely preferred officiating women's matches--better tactics, more interesting passing, less drama queen flopping on the field trying to draw a foul....