• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Wachusett Mountain - Abruptly ends season pass sales.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking at their FB page, it's clear that they planned to limit quantities and release more as they know more about possible capacity restrictions. While there may not currently be restrictions, given the Delta variant (and others we don't know about yet) I would not be surprised if that changes. The mountain may also have been advised by the state government that the government is considering restrictions so they put a hold on passes until they know more.

I don’t have any skin in this discussion but the difference with Mad River, Magic, and maybe others is that they announced in advance they would be limiting season pass sales. I personally applaud this approach given all the uncertainties but key is telling your current and potential customers in advance. It sounded like that was not the case with Wachusett.
As noted on the first page of this thread, they did say that they were limiting pass sales and waiting to purchase may leave you feeling like Scotty.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for your friend, hopefully there are other good options for skiing nearby.

As for the announcement. As a business you owe your loyal customers something more direct than "we announced it" if you want to maintain a good relationship through uncertain times. The fact that some return customers were confused and missed out by accident is the definition of a screw up.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps the click-bait and IMO misleading subject of this thread should be changed to "I was too busy on vacation to buy my season pass and now I must make an entitled complaint"
:D

1) Buying a ski pass is not an inalienable right bestowed upon all
2) Wachusett provided notice of a potential sell out
3) The previous year pass holder did not act for months when they could have purchased a pass

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
So in the end the outrage isn’t warranted.

Though Wachusett could have done better in notifying people they’re getting close to running out.
Kind of like how Magic Mountain is managing it. General updates every few weeks and recent statement that they are 80% sold. And, I am sure they’d even consider a pass holder that misses the cutoff if they stopped by, asked nicely, and brought some Heady Toppers. Another reason it is my happy place from December to April.

I agree the topic subject is misleading and being lazy like me and not reading all the comments will lead you to wrong conclusion.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For being the Stowe Resort of MA they seem to be pretty reasonable. Bummer skiing is so expensive these days. The all in price for a Red Sox game this year is almost double a few years ago.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well, as a final post on this...talked to my friend this weekend, and he is now OK this actually worked out this way. He is actually pretty excited that he will be able ski at a number of ski areas with the Epic Northeast pass. Plans on making Crotched the home mountain because he and his wife like the idea of a smaller mountain for the kids, plus it is really not far from his home in north-central Mass. They are also planning some mid week day trips to Mount Snow, Okemo, and Sunapee. He is very excited that Wildcat is on the pass, because he has never skied there. I told him the trip up there is just worth it for the views, as it is directly across from Mt. Washington. They are also planning a family ski vacation at Stowe as it is included for 10 days of skiing on the value pass.

Some have mentioned the thread is titled wrong...perhaps. His original "ticked off" moment was partly due to no notice the passes at Wachusett were close to selling out so early. Although he fully admits he could have purchased them earlier, he figured they could wait until he came back from their summer vacation in August since the passes were available last year until October. What really set him off was the only option was to buy the expensive 3.5 hr. session tickets. I told him to forget about it and enjoy all the extra places he can now ski. He won't have to worry about the never ending crowds at Wachusett he always complains about. I won't have to listen to him complain about the never ending crowds at Wachusett all season. Win-Win. :ogbiggrin:

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t read every response in this thread, so unsure if someone else has said it, but:

1) I was a passholder last year as a backup to my normal skiing plan in ME, since I wasn’t certain what Covid restrictions would be over state lines. Wachusett opened before Sunday River last year, which was before Thanksgiving. As soon as they can make snow, they do and have a great snowmaking arsenal for MA.

2) They sent an email to previous passholders on August 11’th saying some passes were already unavailable, and they expected to sell out. You snooze, you lose. They sold out last season, that gives people a reality check that probably had them buy earlier this year if they missed out. Same thing happened last season at Sunday River, they stopped offering some pass products and raised prices on what remained after a certain point.. after a TON of warnings on social media and through email. People were LIVID that it actually happened and they hadn’t bought their pass yet. It was hilarious to watch the indignation of why they should make an exception for people who didn’t listed to the MANY warnings. I bought my regular pass asap this year as I didn’t want to somehow get left out.

49A0AC7A-5D66-4265-951E-0259E2B9C9E6.png

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Great to see you @hrstrat57 We should start a wa meetups and conditions thread when the season starts.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If you are a group leader you get a free pass for each x number of members who join your group. Those passes can be sold. Don't think the other ones are transferable, but who knows?

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t see what’s weird. Tickets are resold all the time.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I only paid around $270 for my Bronze (weekday) pass, and I wouldn't have thunk that someone would be willing to pay $500 for it. That just seems like a lot. Sure, I enjoy skiing there, but.... I guess the weird part is that a Wachusett pass is turning into this year's Cabbage Patch doll.

Sponsor

Staff online