• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wandering tails

Alumacraft3

Booting up
Skier
What causes wandering or movement in the tails of my skis when carving a turn? Is it just bad technique or the skis? I’ve been skiing Icelantic Pioneer 96 skis for 3 years now. They are considered all mountain but have twin tips. The tails move a lot on me when carving. I finally got to ski my DPS wailer 100s this week and noticed a huge drop in tail movement. The wailer has a slightly turned up tail but nothing close the my twin tips. Does the twin tip cause this because less of the edge is in contact with the snow?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Without seeing a person’s skiing it’s hard to give advice but usually it’s a stance issue that’s moving weight towards the front of the ski making the tails “light” which would be magnified by a twin tip ski with a more forward mount. Correct the stance and both skis would finish the turn with solid grip.

Your issue reminds me of a video was posted a few weeks ago as it was a very poor use of the Carv “ski coach” as their stance issues would have been easy to spot by an instructor seeing them in person or on video.
The person’s tails becoming light in the turn and skid out even on flat tailed skis.

Sponsor

Staff online