• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warm days, soft boots

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm a little skeptical of this product since it focuses on the tongue, and I'm hoping someone who has actually used it can post.
PULSE Proflex — Pulse Fit System

I have posted three times. I have used it in several of my own boots, including for carpet skiing at 70F :)

I've used it both in the pictured configuration and inside the clog.

IMG_20200302_081922.jpg

IMG_20200302_081717.jpg

Your mental model is wrong - the shim does bend quite nicely. I am sure there are several boot people in this thread who immediately know what boot that ^is and who would know that the stock liner tongue is rather exceptionally well padded.

It is (was) exceptionally well padded - and it still isn't padded enough to survive in the hypothetical scenario of the shim not bending that you are proposing.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have posted three times. I have used it in several of my own boots, including for carpet skiing at 70F :)

I've used it both in the pictured configuration and inside the clog.

View attachment 167441

View attachment 167442

Your mental model is wrong - the shim does bend quite nicely. I am sure there are several boot people in this thread who immediately know what boot that ^is and who would know that the stock liner tongue is rather exceptionally well padded.

It is (was) exceptionally well padded - and it still isn't padded enough to survive in the hypothetical scenario of the shim not bending that you are proposing.
So the shim works for you and you recommend it for warm days if the boot softens too much? That's good to know. Thanks. Experience in the field is always better than armchair philosophizing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Completely agreed - experience trumps hypotheticals any day.

As I said above, the shim is actually better for adding rebound to a slow-returning boot than for correcting temperature effects.

James

Out There
Instructor
Or these-
2EBC7D39-4B71-4415-869D-DA8C4D9BA332.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^Change the shin contact and extend it, but don't do much for overall flex or rebound.

Attachments

• 1650918545262.png
    1650918545262.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I installed Booster Straps on my too soft in spring condition boots and it made a big improvement in my warm weather skiing.
I saw this product too but not enough interest to try them. I bought the WC Boosterstraps and find that although I'm not that great a skier I can adjust the straps accordingly :)
Slemers

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I installed Booster Straps on my too soft in spring condition boots and it made a big improvement in my warm weather skiing.
I saw this product too but not enough interest to try them. I bought the WC Boosterstraps and find that although I'm not that great a skier I can adjust the straps accordingly :)
Slemers
booster straps are great for increasing rebound but not actually stiffening flex, the very fact that you can pull them tighter than a velcro strap possible means you are actually closing the cuff of the boot properly might give you the impression of increased stiffness, but this is nothing more than you could get by closing the cuff of the boot properly in the first place

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
How often do you ski warm days? Certain Intuition liners stiffen the boots, but it's pricey for just a few days a season.
I ski in Intuition liners and I've never heard that they stiffen a boot. But ZipFit I've heard will add about 10 to the stiffness.

James

Out There
Instructor
I ski in Intuition liners and I've never heard that they stiffen a boot. But ZipFit I've heard will add about 10 to the stiffness.
The zipfits I have continue with the, “forgot how to make a tongue”, absurdity. It shouldn’t flex forward using just your fingers to test. Intuition made equally crappy tongues on their Pro Tongue. Absolute joke. Seen better on rental boots.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
The zipfits I have continue with the, “forgot how to make a tongue”, absurdity. It shouldn’t flex forward using just your fingers to test. Intuition made equally crappy tongues on their Pro Tongue. Absolute joke. Seen better on rental boots.
So what liners do you use?

Sponsor

Staff online