• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warm Feet Needed for Wife!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tecnica Cochise W100 boots that fit her very well, after a fair bit of boot fitting slopeside at Sun Valley (Pete Lane's). Three buckles, power strap instead of fourth buckle, walk mode. She skis very well in these boots, but as we both age, she is fighting cold feet more and more, to the point of impacting her enjoyment of the sport anytime it gets below 15 degrees.

Intuition liners? Hotronic footbeds? Both? Something else?

I would really appreciate ideas (especially from the women on this fine, new forum).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Tecnica Cochise W100 boots that fit her very well, after a fair bit of boot fitting slopeside at Sun Valley (Pete Lane's). Three buckles, power strap instead of fourth buckle, walk mode. She skis very well in these boots, but as we both age, she is fighting cold feet more and more, to the point of impacting her enjoyment of the sport anytime it gets below 15 degrees.

I would really appreciate ideas (especially from the women on this fine, new forum).

After I couldn't get the stock Tecnica Mach1 liner warm enough, I replaced it with a wrap-around Intuition liner. I already had the liner from a previous boot. It has been glorious for warmth, but do note that it stiffened the boot considerably. We changed the setting on the back of the boot (I don't remember what that does, but it sort of bankshot affects flex I think), and that helped, but it's still stiffer than it was originally.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The combination that has finally worked for me: Hotronic foot beds and Intuition liners. I also use Boot Gloves are the most frigid, snowy days. Until I added the Intuition liners, the Hotronics were always on, even on the warm spring days.

Now, if only I could make my hands as comfortable as my feet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't use Hotronics (yet?), but I do use boot gloves when it's the low 20s / windy or colder.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
What is your wife wearing for socks? My wife is definitely a wuss when it comes to being cold. I convinced her to try some Smartwool and she is a much happier camper these days.

Karl

janeskis

Putting on skis
Skier
Intuitions are awesome, both for improving boot fit, and warmth. Put a boot glove over, and that should help a lot. However, you can put a chemical warmer in between the boot and boot glove for even more warmth. If that doesn't cut it, sounds like it's time for Hotronics.

James

Out There
Instructor

Is she using chemical toe warmers?
Is there numbness of toes too?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is she using chemical toe warmers?
I tried those a couple of times. Uncomfortably bulky, bunched up or didn't stay put where I wanted them, and I didn't trust them to actually get enough oxygen to work in such an enclosed space. Do these actually work for people with boots that fit correctly?

James

Out There
Instructor
I use them at times. If they bunch up you have to pull your foot out and try again. You also want to wait till they get warm before putting them on and into the boot. They definitely don't work seven hours or whatever when it's cold. Maybe 3.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use them at times. If they bunch up you have to pull your foot out and try again. You also want to wait till they get warm before putting them on and into the boot. They definitely don't work seven hours or whatever when it's cold. Maybe 3.

Do you put them under the ball of your foot or on top of the toes? or elsewhere (?)

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried those a couple of times. Uncomfortably bulky, bunched up or didn't stay put where I wanted them, and I didn't trust them to actually get enough oxygen to work in such an enclosed space. Do these actually work for people with boots that fit correctly?
I love those things - couldn't ski without them. I used to put them on the bottom of my feet but switched over to the top of my toes because I think it's a little easier to not have a bunching problem that way. That said, I've never had one, but my friend who tries to use them has an issue every time. And James is right, they don't last for 7 hours, I think closer to 5.

The funny thing is, when we go out west, I mostly don't need them, when I wouldn't dream of skiing at home without them. I'm guessing it has to do with increased blood flow from working harder out there (or fear, sometimes fear) than here.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I love those things - couldn't ski without them. I used to put them on the bottom of my feet but switched over to the top of my toes because I think it's a little easier to not have a bunching problem that way. That said, I've never had one, but my friend who tries to use them has an issue every time. And James is right, they don't last for 7 hours, I think closer to 5.

The funny thing is, when we go out west, I mostly don't need them, when I wouldn't dream of skiing at home without them. I'm guessing it has to do with increased blood flow from working harder out there (or fear, sometimes fear) than here.

You're on the east coast, right? The east coast is almost always colder. I had to get rid of my east coast ski jacket when I moved here - I felt suffocated from overheating.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
My layers on the east coast: Zip in insulated jacket, insulated pants, thick baselayers, giant mittens, neoprene balaclava. Would ski in every and any condition.

My layers in CO: uninsulated pants, thin baselayer pants and shirt, wool vest, uninsulated jacket. Sometimes a fleece face bandana. Medium warmth mittens. Sub 10F? Probably not gonna go out to the hill unless its a powder day.

CO has made me a temperature wuss.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My excuse for < 10F days is that the snow is too grabby and I didn't have a chance to use a cold weather wax ... I mean, how could anyone ski in those sorts of circumstances??

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
There are heated boot liners available now. We have a couple pairs. The wife of one of our reps, can't remember which one, uses that AND boot heaters.