• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warmer Midlayer?

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
Anybody out there tried the Eiswand Guide ML from Mammut? Looks more climbing oriented, but the tehcnowool stuff looks intriguing.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
For cold days I have switched to wool. If I have any number of puffies under my shell on a really cold day, as soo as I get on the chair, as soon as there is some binding that compromises loft, warmth goes with it. A knit sweater tends to have some resiliency, keeps its loft, and keeps it warmth.

Besides, nothing is classier than a pimp Dale of Norway sweater!

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
Replace the “very air permeable shell” with a high quality gore-Tex shell with pit zips so you can control the permeability and what you have for mid layers will probably be just fine. Keep the cold out and the warm in.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@ELDoane - oh, totally. Weight's usually the best base point, but face fabric and change in how the synthetic is engineered could totally explain it. Definitely see how the shell + midlayer leave some warmth to be desired. Both really prioritize breathability and air permeability. I think a really wind resistant face makes a lot of sense (like the Rab. I think the Kor Strata is also Pertex, and the Atom's fairly solid here too). Lifaloft is a branded Primaloft product, but I hate when brands obscure whether it stacks up against black, silver, or gold. It's 80gsm and uses mostly polypropylene compared to the basic primaloft polyester fibers. Face fabric is a basic nylon. There's a lot you can't tell on paper, but the patterning is super boxy and low-investment compared to the seaming and patterning on some of the other brands. (Seams right on top of the shoulders for a layer you'd likely wear with a pack is a big cost-cutting flag).

Definitely the way to go on base layers. Their only job is to wick and dry, which is easiest when the fabric's thin. Insulation layers unsurprisingly insulate better than base layers can manage to do.
I love all the insider information about this subject. I hope everyone (Pugski regulars and internet drop-ins alike) appreciates how much usable information we get served up on a platter for us. Thanks @Analisa

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
I know you said no fleece, but... I find that a good softshell jacket makes the very best mid-layer. Warm, air- and water-resistant, fairly breathable, does not pack under over-layers, and can be worn alone on warm days.
Feel free to dismiss, but my own solution.
I've had similar experiences. Windproof fleece seriously outperforming ordinary fleece of similar thickness/weight when used as a mid-layer.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sometimes 1 is none and 2 is 1. A Patagonia R1 pull-over plus a Nano-Puff works well for me on colder days. Plus, you can ditch either one in a small pack to adjust to changing temperature. Substitute a Merino piece for the R1 as a non-fleece alternative.

Dolomitiskier

Putting on skis
Skier
For cold days I have switched to wool. If I have any number of puffies under my shell on a really cold day, as soo as I get on the chair, as soon as there is some binding that compromises loft, warmth goes with it. A knit sweater tends to have some resiliency, keeps its loft, and keeps it warmth.

Besides, nothing is classier than a pimp Dale of Norway sweater!
That’s what my other half swears by for a mid layer and he always seems comfortable on cold weather days.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I use HEAT shirts, they go under my base layer and do a great job. I have old ones but my wife picked some up from Costco (32 Degrees I think). She loves them.
Those Heat shirts are just another base layer. They're OK. So you're wearing two base layers - nothing wrong with that (it works), but nothing special.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Those Heat shirts are just another base layer. They're OK. So you're wearing two base layers - nothing wrong with that (it works), but nothing special.

Talking of, the Heat Holders acrylic 'base layers' are nutso warm.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
That’s what my other half swears by for a mid layer and he always seems comfortable on cold weather days.
Not related to super-cold days, but I often wear a cheap merino wool v-neck vest on top of my base layer, to keep my core warmer. It's small, and the v-neck is helpful in terms of avoiding too much stuff around my neck.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
They are just really thin. So I wear them under a mid weight and it helps keep me warm.

I will usually just wear a mid weight base layer, Capliene.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Arc Proton is the closest you'll get to the old Nano Airs. The Atom is not the same as a proton and is not going to feel much different than new Nano Airs. The Proton and Nano Airs were neck to neck in structure and performance. Proton is probably a better jacket too, however I always favored the Nano Air. I actually ended up buying an extra one the year they changed it knowing the new one wasn't the same. I still have it in the closet NWT.

So go with Proton if you want to replicate the old Nano Airs.

There may still possibly some older Nanos new with tags on Ebay, while for sure you can find used ones that are in pretty good condition. You look for the ones with two upper chest pockets v. one pocket.

Frank Ricard

Booting up
Skier
Proton LT for a lighter mid layer - Personal preference, but I like the Proton LT a lot better than the Atom. Atom fits weird to me, I have a lot of Arc stuff and I find the Atom fits fairly boxy in comparison to my other Arc stuff. I've bought the AR, LT and SL and returned them all. Even though its my lightest mid layer, I probably wear the Proton LT down to 15 degrees out, or a 8-10 degree morning that is going to warm up.

If its really cold, always wear a down - but I dont love down as a mid layer for skiing quite as much as I do backpacking/hunting, so I bought a Norronna Svaldbard for anytime I want a warmer mid layer but its not ultra cold. Its Polatrec Thermal Pro, so its not as advanced a material and its heavier, but for resort skiing it doesnt matter at all, and its really not that heavy anyway, its just not very packable.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
90% of the time just an R1 under a shell.
"60% of the time, it works everytime."

...sorry, next to Michael Scott "that's what she said", I can't help but use this one every opportunity I get.

Sponsor

Staff online