• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warming up the legs before skiing

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think that stretching might be better than warming up after a three hour drive. I like to stretch when I first step into my bindings and slide one ski forward and one back to extreme. It also helps set the foot back into the heel of the boot.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sitting in a car for three hours!? Your hips are going to be really tight and your glutes/hamstrings will be dead. Throw a small resistance band in your ski bag and do some back kicks and side steps with the band around your ankles before booting up. Once you have the boots on, try some forward-back and side-to-side leg swings before stepping in to your bindings (I think the added weight of the boots helps). I usually also run through a few drills on the first couple turns of the day as well (one footed turns, javelins, etc.).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really but I could rollerblade when the pavement is clear and dry. Close enough?

I'm going to start the leg blasters program tonight and blow the dust off my Skier's Edge as well.

Rollerblading would be great, especially up mild inclines.

But I think the Skier's Edge might be the winner. I've never done it, but a couple friends that used to be national-level senior racers swear by the thing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

But I think the Skier's Edge might be the winner. I've never done it, but a couple friends that used to be national-level senior racers swear by the thing.

Bah. Unless it's a T4 or mogul master, it's got nothing on skating, especially if he knows how to double push.

If he's got backwards and a spin stop, there's no machine on the planet that can duplicate that.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mostly I'm trying to extend the number of hours I can ski in a day but I do get your point. Work is keeping me from going to Taos this year but if you're at the Aspen Gathering we should definitely talk.

I'll be at Aspen gathering. Look me up.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Modifying the bridge to an upright opposite shoulder reach loses the hamstring load but keeps a lot of the back activation - and it's super easy to incorporate.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Bah. Unless it's a T4 or mogul master, it's got nothing on skating, especially if he knows how to double push.

If he's got backwards and a spin stop, there's no machine on the planet that can duplicate that.

I have the S4, which is the earlier version of the T4. I also have the Mogul/Powder Master platform. And I have K2 inline skates already. ogsmile

I'll be at Aspen gathering. Look me up.

Will do.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
The one day we skied together at MRG you opted for the one groomed trail warm-up rather then starting in the bumps with me for a warm-up. My advice is when skiing a bump mountain like MRG warm up in the bumps it only makes sense.

The one mistake that I made last season was trying to hot lap Superstar out of the gate when it had a pristine spring surface in May. Pulled the left cheek skiing butt muscle. Learned that I am too old to ski like a world class skier.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The one day we skied together at MRG you opted for the one groomed trail warm-up rather then starting in the bumps with me for a warm-up. My advice is when skiing a bump mountain like MRG warm up in the bumps it only makes sense.

The one mistake that I made last season was trying to hot lap Superstar out of the gate when it had a pristine spring surface in May. Pulled the left cheek skiing butt muscle. Learned that I am too old to ski like a world class skier.

I can't believe you remembered that! Yes, it probably makes sense to get it over with when skiing a place like MRG.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stretching is not always agreed upon. I try to do joint mobility before I get on the lift. Not all people should do all mobility exercises. For me the most important is hip. I find that doing a variety of joints will mobilize joints in other areas of the body. I am hyper-mobile in the ankle yet I do add some to the routine.

Stretching is not the same as mobility exercises - generally, mobility is more Joint while stretching is more muscle. Some exercises for mobility will offer a stretch as well.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

Here's a Crossfit routine and it does show the blending of stretch and mobility. It would not be likely to see me doing most of these exercises in the lodge or on the snow.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Find the easiest run there is and do it 1-2 times. Slowly.
I never used to do a warm up but I need it now. If I skip and just jump right in, it can sometimes ruin the whole day. The problem for me is the guys I ski with. They don't need a warm-up so I want to go with them!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never used to do a warm up but I need it now. If I skip and just jump right in, it can sometimes ruin the whole day. The problem for me is the guys I ski with. They don't need a warm-up so I want to go with them!

I know what you mean. But with time I learned that it is me who I care about most and it is me who I really want to have a good time, so if someone from the group wants to go max speed from the first second, I just let them and don't try to keep up.
As in road cycling, my engine gets to speed slower, needs some warming up, so I give it time. Because I know it be flying later. :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It ain't easy being the old boy
You are not alone, yesterday I had my first day out since my 75th birthday and the first time in two seasons because of Covid, I am a bit tired today.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I know what you mean. But with time I learned that it is me who I care about most and it is me who I really want to have a good time, so if someone from the group wants to go max speed from the first second, I just let them and don't try to keep up.
As in road cycling, my engine gets to speed slower, needs some warming up, so I give it time. Because I know it be flying later. :ogbiggrin:

One of the fun things I learned not long ago - my metabolic engine has a much different warmup rate than my muscles.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the fun things I learned not long ago - my metabolic engine has a much different warmup rate than my muscles.

Yeah, we discussed that elsewhere, but for me when road cycling first 15-20 km is a struggle and then it is all smooth sailing from there.
Skiing- I always need at least 1 slow easy run at the beginning and then it ramps up from there.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, we discussed that elsewhere, but for me when road cycling first 15-20 km is a struggle and then it is all smooth sailing from there.
Skiing- I always need at least 1 slow easy run at the beginning and then it ramps up from there.

We did; the first 45 minutes are basically a metabolic throwaway.

But I really didn't 'get' why both sprinters and 'crossers would punch their thighs while waiting at the start line until a couple of years ago when I had to do the same thing.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
My go to exercises when my legs and hips feel stiff:

Only need to do about 10 of each. Takes less than 5 minutes. I do the lunges first, then the toe-hold squats (I have heard these called 'baby squats').

Hard to do these in ski boots, but will do these in the evenings:

Sponsor

Staff online