• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water proofing my Hestra’s!

fasteddie

Down the hill with speed pls! Love Italian Beefs!
Skier
4350B66B-C270-4623-B419-9C68076B27E5.jpeg

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I personally prefer the Hestra Balm. Find that other wax based treatments cause buildup on the gloves that turns all flaky in the cold. Do not have that issue with Hesra balm and it seems to work well. That said with all leather gloves you do need to reapply the balm a couple times a season, more so if there is really wet weather like we have in the PNW.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Has anybody using full leather gloves or mittens found that the waterproofing you add lasts for a full season? I end up having to waterproof again and again. I use this.

I rub it into the leather of my mittens liberally, heat them in the oven, carefully, remove the warm mittens, then rub the softened sealant well to make sure it seeps into all the cracks and seams. I allow them to cool, then buff the extra sealant off. Works well, but doesn't last all season. The can I bought is probably a life-time supply.

Atsko Sno-Seal 1330 Original Beeswax Waterproofing (7 Oz Net Weight/ 8 Oz Overall Weight)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I rub it into the leather of my mittens liberally, heat them in the oven, carefully, remove the warm mittens, then rub the softened sealant well to make sure it seeps into all the cracks and seams.
How’s the SnoSeal waxiness?

I did that procedure with the Nikwax. Only they go back in the oven after treatment. 175 I used, lowest it goes. Maybe an hour. FlyLow apparently bakes it in with their leather gloves. That’s what gave me the idea.

Beeswax in SnoSeal melts at 146 F.
Lots of info-

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I put the gloves on, hold them over a lit gas stove top to heat them and rub the SnoSeal and repeat a few times. @dovski, I don't have flaky issues in the cold. I think you just need to either heat them more to get more absorbed or to use something absorbent while they are warm to remove the excess. Paper towels would fit the bill.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James and @Doug Briggs, do you have to reapply the sealant during the ski season?
What is this “have to”? ogsmile
i’d say yes.
Weirdly, I’ve found the most effective Goretex use has been in gloves. Though I won’t swear to it. Certainly doesn’t breathe in my Arcteryx rain coat.

The Wells Lamont gloves I coated were not warm at all so they never got recoated. Despite glowing reviews, fairly worthless under 25F. Really a 30 and up glove. Makes me question western reviewers. They got relegated to snow blowing duty for when it’s not cold.

Last edited:

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I agree if you have buildup your not baking them enough. I like Obenauf’s a touch more than snoseal.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
According to the Hestra rep their protectant is best applied to gloves when they are slightly damp.

First I heard that, thanks.

I use their balm on my gloves. For all of my other wet weather (non ski) leather gear I am a big fan of Obenauf’s.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
One glove brand I have says to gently warm the leather, just enough to melt the wax, in advance of applying Sno Seal or your choice of other wax waterproofing. They claim that pre-warming the leather lets the wax penetrate better.

Sponsor