• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water skiing…

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually everyone, lets hear your water ski story. I already posted mine.
I started water skiing long, long before I began snow skiing and snowboarding, which were ages 31 and 35 respectively. Going from memory, I've water skied in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Ontario, New York, New Hampshire, Florida, Montana, and Utah. Perhaps my most memorable experience on water skis was skiing virtually half the width of Lake Erie at its widest (~68 miles) or near-widest point, originating in Port Dover, ON and heading to Erie, PA. I never ski on two skis but elected to do so on this relatively calm late August day behind a fast, high-powered boat. Very fun sport but I enjoy (snow) skiing and snowboarding more.

Who has been cable (water) skiing or cable wakeboarding? Saw quite a few cable facilities during my time in Australia and also in various European countries. I can only think of a couple I've seen in FL but I know others exist in North America. I've never done it myself but it looks like it would probably be lots of fun!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
have never cable skied, sounds like fun and I'd certainly give it a go . I wonder if it would be a bit more like the equivalent of in door snow skiing with a more controlled setting ?

We're biased to our own experiences so I've always preferred ocean swells on a calm day even over a dead flat lakes. While a rougher ride, timing the wake and swell can result in some impressive air time.

Crossing the Strait of Georgia to the nearest islands was always my goal. On 2 skis easily doable, on the slalom not so much.
Frequently we'd ski from the Point Roberts cabin across the bay to Crescent Beach about 6-7 miles depending on landing point. In chop it seemed a lot further.

funny thing about ocean skiing no one ever lets go, falls, or fails to get up really fast when orcas are spotted.
Despite no record of a human attack we've all seen Jaws.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So @Dwight , tell us your water ski story. Do you compete, did you compete, your kids compete, you on a ski club, you run a ski club?

Actually everyone, lets hear your water ski story. I already posted mine.
I grew up on the water in the summers. :) On skis at 5, barefoot by 12. Self taught on barefooting with John Gillette's book. Showed skied at 16 for one year. I was going to go Florida after HS but switched to college instead. Kind of didn't ski much in the late 90s and early 2000s. When kids got aroune 10 yrs old, joined a show ski team in 2006. Heavily involved for a decaded and then a litle bit here and there. Skied and drove for the teams. Challenged a lot of kids to get better. My son did Sea World for 2 years and my youngest daughter is still doing a show team plus collegiate 3 event. Oldest daughter would like to do it again, just doesn't want to drive an hour every evening.

Now I ski for fun and try to instill fun sking to others. I have put more effort into Figure 8 barefoot tournaments last year and this year. Will continue. Just fun to be with the people and challenge one self to foot in rough water. I might do a 3 event barefoot tournament, one of these days. Don't do many tricks, but can help out too. Just like most things, it is an addiction I like. Start skiing in Florida in Spring and continue until the boats are put away here.

1657550544256.png