• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water temperature to wash ski jacket?

freddie

Booting up
Skier
as it is the end of the season I would like to wash my spyder ski jacket and store it until next season.

the label says machine wash cold 30C , which is 86F. The cold water at my home is around 14C which is 57F.

Should I leave the washers setting on cold or put it on medium to get something closer to 30C 86F?

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Others may have a different opinion, but here is my from experience. I stopped machine washing my ski jackets and pants. I also stopped using detergent, even the specialty stuff that claims it won't hurt the water repellency of outerwear. Machines always seem to add wear and tear, and I have noticed a performance loss even with one use of a detergent. At the end of a season, I simply fill a tub up with lukewarm water and let the item soak to get the worst out. Then I rinse in a clean tub of water and let air dry. That is it. Other than normal wear from skiing, my items look and perform as new. When I was machine washing, it seems like things were wearing out faster and would always start leaking.

My thinking on this is your outerwear should not ever be in direct contact with your body, therefore how dirty will it really get? It is insulated outerwear, not a football uniform! Your thermal layer, and any additional layers are going to absorb any sweat first. Trust me, mine do, and they get the full machine wash often (or they will end up smelling like a football uniform!) My outerwear stays relatively clean, so unless I spill food all over it, a warm water soak is all it needs.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on the provenance.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I wash mine, gentle cycle, cold water, powdered detergent. As per the Columbia rep years ago. Hang to dry out of direct sunlight. If any chairlift grease, spray with Grime Eater first, then wash.

Don't forget to check your pockets first!!

James

Out There
Instructor
I would go warm. They usually recommend front loaders to reduce wear I think. After you’ve cleaned out the detergent though that’s in the filler.
I also believe some recommend the heat of a dryer. Search for this topic under @Analisa username.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Others may have a different opinion, but here is my from experience. I stopped machine washing my ski jackets and pants. I also stopped using detergent, even the specialty stuff that claims it won't hurt the water repellency of outerwear. Machines always seem to add wear and tear, and I have noticed a performance loss even with one use of a detergent. At the end of a season, I simply fill a tub up with lukewarm water and let the item soak to get the worst out. Then I rinse in a clean tub of water and let air dry. That is it. Other than normal wear from skiing, my items look and perform as new. When I was machine washing, it seems like things were wearing out faster and would always start leaking.

My thinking on this is your outerwear should not ever be in direct contact with your body, therefore how dirty will it really get? It is insulated outerwear, not a football uniform! Your thermal layer, and any additional layers are going to absorb any sweat first. Trust me, mine do, and they get the full machine wash often (or they will end up smelling like a football uniform!) My outerwear stays relatively clean, so unless I spill food all over it, a warm water soak is all it needs.
An old school top loader with an agitator will beat up your clothes pretty badly, I wouldn't use one of those. A front loader or modern top loader with a wash plate is much gentler and should be about the same as washing it in the tub as far as wear and tear.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t know, we had one of those top loading non agitator machines for a bit. I’ve never seen such mangled, twisted things come out of a washer.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Assuming your water heater puts out 120F hot water (max temp to prevent scalding according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission). You should wash the jacket in a mixture of 36.5% hot water and 63.5% cold water, which will then give you wash water of 79.995 F, which is close enough to the recommended 80F .

Here's a graph I made that will help you make the settings:

Wash_temp.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I run them on permanent press/warm using Techwash then again using TX. Direct, both by Nikwax. Then a run in the drier on low. But my gear didn't cost a lot and I'm not too worried about killing it. I've washed my shell pants three or four times this season not because of sweat from the inside but dirt from the outside. Bumping up against the truck, a dirty boot coming into contact with the leg, a little food here and there.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Years ago I washed a North Face jacket on gentle cold with Techwash. It completely ruined the insulation in the jacket and I had to throw it in the trash. Just my experience your mileage may vary........

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I run them on permanent press/warm using Techwash then again using TX. Direct, both by Nikwax. Then a run in the drier on low. But my gear didn't cost a lot and I'm not too worried about killing it. I've washed my shell pants three or four times this season not because of sweat from the inside but dirt from the outside. Bumping up against the truck, a dirty boot coming into contact with the leg, a little food here and there.
Years ago I washed a North Face jacket on gentle cold with Techwash. It completely ruined the insulation in the jacket and I had to throw it in the trash. Just my experience your mileage may vary........

I should note most of what I wash are shells, but I have washed insulated coats and pants too. I wonder what caused the damage to the insulation?

TS
F

freddie

Booting up
Skier
thanks for all the replies

the exterior of the jacket has some light stain and marks, dirt etc, mostly around the cuffs.

I have a front load washer.

I guess I will set the water temp to medium. my washer only has cold medium and hot settings... this should still be well below the recommended temp of 30C

Is it better to wash the jacket one at a time or should I put my wife's jacket in too. Not sure if having another item in the washer helps or not?

the label says to tumble dry however I am thinking of hanging it out to dry, anything wrong with that?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
as it is the end of the season I would like to wash my spyder ski jacket and store it until next season.

the label says machine wash cold 30C , which is 86F. The cold water at my home is around 14C which is 57F.

Should I leave the washers setting on cold or put it on medium to get something closer to 30C 86F?

You can use the next setting up in water temp. Also, I would only wash it on a H.E. machine that is front loading or top loading without the center post and also using only the gentlest setting.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
thanks for all the replies

the exterior of the jacket has some light stain and marks, dirt etc, mostly around the cuffs.

I have a front load washer.

I guess I will set the water temp to medium. my washer only has cold medium and hot settings... this should still be well below the recommended temp of 30C

Is it better to wash the jacket one at a time or should I put my wife's jacket in too. Not sure if having another item in the washer helps or not?

the label says to tumble dry however I am thinking of hanging it out to dry, anything wrong with that?

Depends a little on the fabric brand, but typically the trip through the dryer is what helps the waterproof treatment stay fresh. Not much point in hang drying for most brands.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Any will work. Warm water is more likely to impact some garments, especially if they're made with natural fibers. Think about how your skin reacts to regular hand washing with hot water vs cool water. Same goes for duck feathers, merino fibers, cotton, etc. Outerwear is generally all polyester or nylon, with a super high melt temperature and "filament" yarn construction that can weather tons of use and abuse.

Cool water doesn't clean quite as well. Newer detergent formulations have gotten better at cleaning with cool water, so it's fairly minimal. If you choose cool water out of hesitancy (or some people prefer it for environmental purposes), there's no risk of harming the jacket. It'll just get like 95% as clean.

The manufacturer tag will never lie. There are a lot of consumer protection laws that require the tag instructions to support ordinary use and enjoyment of the garment, and we have to pay a good deal of money to prove that in product testing that the wash instructions don't cause issues (colorfastness, skew, shrinkage, etc). They have to be generous to customer choice (we can't say no drycleaning or no iron if we don't provide proof they ruin the garment), and we can get fined or sued if we're wrong. Which is basically to say, brands are trustworthy for what they're writing on their care labels, and it's backed by a robust testing process and review from their testing / compliance teams.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't believe you colonials still use top-loading washing machines, and , for goodness sake buy a kettle....
I had to replace a washer a few years ago. I was all set to buy a top-loading agitator-less washer until I started reading up on satisfaction and durability stats. They were atrocious. (I know. "Ours is fantastic." I don't doubt it. But I went with the numbers.) Ended up with an old school agitator model for that reason and that reason only.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would go warm. They usually recommend front loaders to reduce wear I think. After you’ve cleaned out the detergent though that’s in the filler.
I also believe some recommend the heat of a dryer. Search for this topic under @Analisa username.

yes the dryer reactivates the waterproofing on technical fabrics. I wash all outerwear at the end of every season. I only wash mid season if there is specific staining of some sort. Even my oldest jackets-OR Igneo jackets from 2013 and 2015 are both still very waterproof. I haven’t stood out in a rain storm but I have been thoroughly drenched in spring blizzards- on the outside only.

If you have a top loading dryer with an agitator, just wash on the gentle cycle or hand wash cycle those machines offer. I did that for years with no problems.

I often wash two jackets at the same time- it helps keep the machine balanced.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ended up with an old school agitator model for that reason and that reason only.

As someone who has to replace front loader seals every year for black and other mold in spite of diligent cleaning and airing out between loads :thumb:

These were replaced in November.

IMG_20210412_175423.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online