• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water when skiing at altitude.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
So the common advice for water consumption is either 8 8oz glasses per day or take your weight and multiply by 2/3 (that’s what I’ve heard). At 250, that’s 168 Oz per day or about 5 32oz Nalgene bottles. Seems like a crazy amount of water to me. And that’s before doing any activity.

How much extra do you all drink before/during and after a day of skiing?

James

Out There
Instructor
Those locals in CO barely drink any from what I can see.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep in mind, whatever you drink. You'll have to pee out.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
1625795612934.png

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm somewhat a believer in drinking extra water/fluids when skiing at higher altitudes, but nothing like the amounts you are talking about. I always carry a plastic bottle with about 12-16 oz in it. If I'm skiing a full day I might drink it before lunch while riding chairlifts. Then I'll refill it at lunch and drink it in the afternoon. I will drink maybe 12-20 oz of fluids (tea, water, juice, soda) before the ski day, at lunch, and then apresski. Sometimes a beer or two will be part of the afternoon fluids. And yes there are usually a few required restroom breaks during the day.

I know many who ski with camelbaks and suck on them all day. Don't know how many ounces are involved. Maybe they will chime in?

PS: when I'm skiing smaller ski areas in the east near sea level I don't usually carry water, just drink fairly liberally at all meals.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I personally drink 1 pint when waking up, 1 32oz Nalgene as I drive up from Denver to the ski mtns. Then I sip my camelpak and probably drink about 32oz during skiing the. drink 1 more 32oz Nalgene coming back down with a Nuun in it. Then a couple more pints of water at dinner and before bed. Sometimes it seems to be ok but sometimes I wake up the next day feeling hungover. I assume that’s dehydration and means I need to tweak something.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Lots of coffee in the morning. 2 bottles of water on a ski day. Sure glad beer counts as liquid.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I know many who ski with camelbaks and suck on them all day. Don't know how many ounces are involved. Maybe they will chime in?

Most compact pack hydration is between 600ml and 2l - so up to 24 oz. They're not really drinking much more, they're just drinking more often.

The only people I've ever seen carry the big 3l and 4l bladders were overnighters with big backpacks.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

I'll take water breaks on occasion. Frequently, I ski half days if just free skiing and not working. When with instructional clients, water and pee breaks are more frequent.

On days when it is dumping, I ski with a small Mammut pack. Liquid and food are inside. Don't stop for lunch, but rather refuel / hydrate on the lift. Pee in the woods.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I don't drink a lot of extra water while skiing because it means less skiing and more trips to the bathroom. Over the years, I have developed an approach to maximize ski time...

I live at 650' elevation in a very humid environment... When in CO/UT/NV/NM, generally I will drink additional water in the morning - about a pint or so more than normal. This is to replace water lost while sleeping at altitude. Usually need to then have a mid-morning pee break due to also drinking coffee, but the alternative is a headache.

I don't drink again until lunch (1pm-ish), usually another pint (of water) with food + lunchtime bathroom break. Don't usually need to use bathroom again after lunch. I don't carry water with me on the mountain.

Sometimes I will take a water break if feeling lethargic/tired on mountain - this happens more often with spring skiing. I try to do most hydration après ski and evenings when it's much more convenient to use a bathroom.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the Winter I may stop once during my usual hour session for sugar and hydration, sometimes not at all. Come Spring, however, every hour without fail ( 70 year old kidney's 'n all). Deep into Spring, not only am I hydrating, but waxing as well, so body and ski maintenance! Not sure if it's just me or a more general aging phenomenon, but my sense of thirst is no longer reliable

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Certainly describes me. Cup of coffee before driving up. 10-12 ounces of water in car at parking lot. And thats it for the day until, of course, the post-ski beer.
Never have felt remotely thirsty skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think if you’re not used to the altitude, or coming from sea level, then drink up and avoid alcohol at first at least.
If you have an issue, go to lower elevation. Not much else will work. Skiing at Abasin to driving down to Silverthorne could be 3k ft difference. Even base would be 1.7+k difference. It helps.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Regardless of altitude, most individuals do not drink enough fluids, with active individuals it is even worse. Drinking the right balance of electrolytes is more important than drinking lots. Last thing you want to do is de-electrolyte yourself by flushing them out of your body. While rare it does happen and is extremely dangerous.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor