• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water when skiing at altitude.

James

Out There
Instructor
My response to too much sun at altitude and not enough water is vomiting and passing out. Fortunately, haven’t done them at the same time and avoided the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
It comes on fast though.
Was I thirsty? Likely, but not dying in the desert type so it’s easy to ignore till it’s too late. The time I ended up in the Aspen ER, I was skiing with a Camelback. Didn’t drink much at all. So that’s how unthirsty I was, or exceptionally lazy.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As some of you know I have had this shit knee injury, and a 12 month rehab schedule. I have been all about rehab and getting back to 100%. Turning myself inside out in the gym, and checking every box as far as recovery protocols.

On days when I feel gassed, I can look back and recall that my fluid intake was lacking. On days when I go out of my way to drink what feels like ridiculous amounts, I feel uber strong. During those periods, recovery is short. I can kill myself in the gym with big weights, compound motions, and plyometrics, and 48 hours later be back at it. It is totally antidotal. I don't have anything objective (like blood work) to back it up, but maybe the right amount to drink, to optimize performance, is what feels like a stupid amount. FYI we live at 7,500'.

This is providing an important lesson to me for the coming ski season. I will definitely be well hydrated, and spend a lot of time peeing in the woods.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to ski with a camel back, but found I didn’t drink as much as I should. Now I keep a small bottle(16oz) with me and the goal is to drink it before lunch, a couple of cups at lunch and refill the bottle for the afternoon. I use the bathroom at lunch and then once in the afternoon while skiing. Seems to be working for me now. Since I started to take lessons, I’m not as tired, can ski longer and do not require as much water. Lots of differences from when I was younger to today.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My response to too much sun at altitude and not enough water is vomiting and passing out. Fortunately, haven’t done them at the same time and avoided the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
It comes on fast though.
Was I thirsty? Likely, but not dying in the desert type so it’s easy to ignore till it’s too late. The time I ended up in the Aspen ER, I was skiing with a Camelback. Didn’t drink much at all. So that’s how unthirsty I was, or exceptionally lazy.

Hmmm ..... sounds like more than just mild dehydration.
I know exactly what you mean though, about not really feeling thirsty - there comes a time when you can no longer trust your body to give you the feed back you need.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its all about getting used to conditions. If you are used to sea level and 70% humidity and then go to 8000' and 15% humidity it will take time to acclimate. Add on to that lots of skiing and you may need extra water, as in more than usual. I don't think any doctor's guidance intended for how much an average person needs on an average day will help with how much you will want in that moment, unless you already are living by that guidance to start with and then the answer would be more than that.

I can drink 2x 3L bladders of water while I am hiking from the bench in Layton up to 9500' and back on a hot summer day. Good thing my route pases a spring. That's 3-4x what I normally would drink in 6 hours.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
dont forget the electrolytes. water alone wont cut it with exertion at altitude. I drink about 80 oz of water with electrolytes per day, @7K'. that doesnt include what I drink while riding or skiing. Caffeine & alcohol are the 2 worst things a newb at altitude can drink.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
dont forget the electrolytes. water alone wont cut it with exertion at altitude. I drink about 80 oz of water with electrolytes per day, @7K'. that doesnt include what I drink while riding or skiing. Caffeine & alcohol are the 2 worst things a newb at altitude can drink.

What is your method of getting those electrolytes?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I use a product called Ultima replenisher. very inexpensive (for electrolytes) and has a near optimal mixture of minerals (maybe a touch light on sodium but if you are eating every 45 minutes while cycling, you are probably covered) , no sugar or artificial anything, especially good for cycling and skiing/hiking. Watermelon is my fav'.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online