• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water when skiing at altitude.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Regardless of altitude, most individuals do not drink enough fluids, with active individuals it is even worse. Drinking the right balance of electrolytes is more important than drinking lots. Last thing you want to do is de-electrolyte yourself by flushing them out of your body. While rare it does happen and is extremely dangerous.

I'm gonna disagree with you here. There is a modern group of thought that the mass public is not really chronically dehydrated and the practical advice is to drink when thirsty. Unfortunately people are not practical nor do they always listen to their bodies so this isn't the advice that is always put out.

I would counter that the real known problem at least, in the US though is drinking either empty calories from beverages including from electrolyte/hydration "sports" drinks, or artificial sweetened beverages. Whereas most individual body health/hydration would be better off drinking just plain water. There are lots of folks who don't drink plain water at all and live their lives only drinking Diet Coke or flavored sparkling water.

So there is a two pronged push in this underhydration myth in this fight over your liquid intake.
a) From Big Drink. Obviously the beverage industry is trying to sell you more beverage products
b) On the Medical side the advice to drink water is not really about dehydration but a nudge technique to push you to reduce drinks and replace with water. The key here is wanted to use a nonnag technique and telling people what you should do, rather than saying what they shouldn't do. There is also a strategic nuance of a preemptive strike before there is a conscious decision about being thirsty and choosing between water and a drink.

This is "in general" advice for long term steady-state average (mostly sedentary) US citizen that you are bringing up. For new or unique situations like this OP scenario of going skiing at altitude (assume for the first time); or about to run a marathon for the first time or some strenuous thing the body is not used to; of course you should take some special measures and special advice to prepare for that new scenario your body is not accustomed to.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think if you’re not used to the altitude, or coming from sea level, then drink up and avoid alcohol at first at least.
If you have an issue, go to lower elevation. Not much else will work. Skiing at Abasin to driving down to Silverthorne could be 3k ft difference. Even base would be 1.7+k difference. It helps.

Talking of salt and carbs, who's got good pho?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tons of good and cheap hole in the wall places in Queens. Just don't go to the ones in Manhattan. Expensive and bad.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Always make sure your pho place has a clever name...

James

Out There
Instructor
Certainly describes me. Cup of coffee before driving up. 10-12 ounces of water in car at parking lot. And thats it for the day until, of course, the post-ski beer.
Never have felt remotely thirsty skiing.
Yep, that’s them. Skip the car part to the lodge.
Now, I bet wandering around town with a yoga mat there’s a large water bottle in grasp. But not skiing.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skiing everyday requires hydrating like a camel. Leg cramps at night will let me know when my intake drops low. About a gallon a day is my number.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am at altitude a good part of the season. I do the same routine I have at home.
16 oz. split between wake up and breakfast. 3 cups of coffee with coffee. 16 oz. during lunch. 16 oz. during afternoon jiffy lube break* (a quart in and a quart out). Beer or wine after skiing.

*Note: We are pretty good with the jiffy lube break. I think it's more for the buffer friend(s) to recover their legs. Good buffer friends are tough to find. Hurt them too much and 'poof', they are gone. :ogbiggrin:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I don't drink a lot of extra water while skiing because it means less skiing and more trips to the bathroom. Over the years, I have developed an approach to maximize ski time...

I live at 650' elevation in a very humid environment... When in CO/UT/NV/NM, generally I will drink additional water in the morning - about a pint or so more than normal. This is to replace water lost while sleeping at altitude. Usually need to then have a mid-morning pee break due to also drinking coffee, but the alternative is a headache.

I don't drink again until lunch (1pm-ish), usually another pint (of water) with food + lunchtime bathroom break. Don't usually need to use bathroom again after lunch. I don't carry water with me on the mountain.

Sometimes I will take a water break if feeling lethargic/tired on mountain - this happens more often with spring skiing. I try to do most hydration après ski and evenings when it's much more convenient to use a bathroom.
To be clear if you really do not want to stop for a potty break while skiing, there are options .... these may not be great options for some , but they are still options :eek:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
To be clear if you really do not want to stop for a potty break while skiing, there are options .... these may not be great options for some , but they are still options :eek:

Definitely depends on resort - some have convenient bathrooms, and I don't mind taking a break at those. Others, may have too many stairs, require walking uphill both ways, etc...

Also, trees can work... but I don't really like stopping somewhere specifically to be out of sight. Skier code and all that.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Am at the other extreme concerning drinking water and liquids. Probably a result as a kid of spending hours many days playing down in natural areas where there was no water. We never brought along water that in this era sounds rather dumb but hey all we kids were like that.

As an adult that rarely drinks alcohol and never any caffeinated drinks, I tend to drink when I feel a need that is normally with meals. At night may wake up a few times and if I feel some food still being digested in my stomach say from late evening snacks, will drink water as that will move it through the rest of my plumbing. As an adult I often carry a backpack for miles early mornings without drinking. If it is warm enough to make me sweat, yeah I'll then get thirsty and drink a lot. Most ski days I don't carry water, don't go into lodges, just go off ski trails and eat snow.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been drinking Grapefruit Juice two oz, Cranberry Juice also two oz and Pediatric 3 oz plus maybe 12 to 14 oz of water, maybe more. I am sensitive to dehydration.

Heeler

Doug M.
Skier
I'm gonna disagree with you here. There is a modern group of thought that the mass public is not really chronically dehydrated and the practical advice is to drink when thirsty. Unfortunately people are not practical nor do they always listen to their bodies so this isn't the advice that is always put out.

I would counter that the real known problem at least, in the US though is drinking either empty calories from beverages including from electrolyte/hydration "sports" drinks, or artificial sweetened beverages. Whereas most individual body health/hydration would be better off drinking just plain water. There are lots of folks who don't drink plain water at all and live their lives only drinking Diet Coke or flavored sparkling water.

So there is a two pronged push in this underhydration myth in this fight over your liquid intake.
a) From Big Drink. Obviously the beverage industry is trying to sell you more beverage products
b) On the Medical side the advice to drink water is not really about dehydration but a nudge technique to push you to reduce drinks and replace with water. The key here is wanted to use a nonnag technique and telling people what you should do, rather than saying what they shouldn't do. There is also a strategic nuance of a preemptive strike before there is a conscious decision about being thirsty and choosing between water and a drink.

This is "in general" advice for long term steady-state average (mostly sedentary) US citizen that you are bringing up. For new or unique situations like this OP scenario of going skiing at altitude (assume for the first time); or about to run a marathon for the first time or some strenuous thing the body is not used to; of course you should take some special measures and special advice to prepare for that new scenario your body is not accustomed to.
BRAWNDO!, It has what plants skiers crave!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Caffeine is a diuretic, so you retain only part of the liquid you drink from coffee or tea. The same volume of water is more hydrating. It would take a very large quantity of either coffee or tea to be dehydrating.

If you can't pee, you're dehydrated. This is the item left off the urine color chart above. (Trips to the ski hill bathroom, either porcelain or pine, in about the same number as an ordinary day at home is a pretty good guide.)

A normal diet provides all the electrolytes one needs unless one is severely dehydrated. A sports drink is loaded with sugar, so dilute it with water if this is your choice. (I've worked many hours many weeks in very hot conditions, and I've researched this topic. I've also researched it for hot summer motorcycle riding.)