• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterford/Gunnar closing up shop

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welp, if you were planning to get a Waterford or Gunnar, you missed your opportunity. :( Happy I've got mine.

14141799_10210489280651074_6620414294509294775_n.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Richard Schwinn was the glue that held some very skilled builders/restorers/painters relevant for over 40 years now. When the Paramount production went to Waterford under Marc Muller in around 1981, to get a new production line going.

Thing is, they all stayed at it for a very long time now. And once some of the boys and girls in the shop were starting to think about retiring, Richard thought that sounded like the time to 'go out on top'.

They did some wonderful work over all the years and the standard was high.
My '85 Waterford built Paramount is my part of that legacy.

Thank you Richard for keeping it going all these years!

85 Para.jpg

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Richard Schwinn was the glue that held some very skilled builders/restorers/painters relevant for over 40 years now. When the Paramount production went to Waterford under Marc Muller in around 1981, to get a new production line going.

Thing is, they all stayed at it for a very long time now. And once some of the boys and girls in the shop were starting to think about retiring, Richard thought that sounded like the time to 'go out on top'.

They did some wonderful work over all the years and the standard was high.
My '85 Waterford built Paramount is my part of that legacy.

Thank you Richard for keeping it going all these years!
I grew up on a Stingray (and then a Varsity but we won’t talk about that), and then coveted a Paramount. Having Richard answer the phone himself when I called to order my Gunnar was quite a thrill. I sent the whole crew a note of thanks yesterday via their website.

TS
wooglin

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like it that some custom builders appear to be filling in the "stock" frame gap left by Gunnar's departure. Breadwinner is now offering six different stock sizes in their A-Road frame as the Bread and Butter (drool), and Sklar is offering a stock Super Something gravel frame in multiple sizes as well. $2995 (ouch, hopefully that will come down) for a Bread and Butter frameset, but the Super Something is a very reasonable $1599.