• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproof Rain Cape

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I'm trying to find something to keep me dry in the flaky fall weather. I was looking at something like the Garneau Clean Imper (I assume short for impermeable?) which is basically the old rain cape of old that I used to use back in the day. So I'm digging around and I can't find very much from anyone else that's similar. I had a nice rain jacket that was super light nylon and had a rubberized internal coating so it was 100% waterproof and entirely not breathable. This is an emergency only jacket, not an I'm going to go ride in the rain for 2 hours because I love rain. Anyone have any cheap favourites? I'm loathe to dump $400 into a gore-tex shell....

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Not cheap, but you know what cheap feels like(clamy and sweaty).

Showerpass. I never ponied up for one, but everyone I road with in western oregon sweared by them.

ive got a cannari jacket i was given. Its waterproof but also a sweat machine. No pit zips, I wouldnt recommend.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Thanks Chris. I'm ok with sweat bag for now.. Like, in summer, if it rains I just accept the rain because no matter what the shell is, you're going to sweat anyway. This is for the colder rainy days where I'm just trying to keep dry until I can get home. So cheap sweat bag is ok in this case! :)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just go to the local Dollar Store and get a cheap rain hood. It will be a plastic sheet with a hood and it will give you maybe a couple of days use before it gets a hole but that's what you are looking for I think.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not a cycling specific answer but there should be a ton of options at around the $100 mark from every outdoor brand that is basically a rain shell made of their current waterpoof breathable lightweight/lightduty fabric laminate. $400 seems nuts unless you're on an expedition or something and need the best an it cannot fail

You need to see what fits you though.

If you find last season's stock then probably you'll get 40% off of that and around thr $60 mark.

example:

And here's REI's category. seems like you have ton of options at a lot of pricepoints.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
So I'm trying to find something to keep me dry in the flaky fall weather. I was looking at something like the Garneau Clean Imper (I assume short for impermeable?) which is basically the old rain cape of old that I used to use back in the day. So I'm digging around and I can't find very much from anyone else that's similar. I had a nice rain jacket that was super light nylon and had a rubberized internal coating so it was 100% waterproof and entirely not breathable. This is an emergency only jacket, not an I'm going to go ride in the rain for 2 hours because I love rain. Anyone have any cheap favourites? I'm loathe to dump $400 into a gore-tex shell....
Not quite a favorite, because it doesn't breath, but for a cheap rain jacket that packs down pretty tight, Verge makes a good one.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
So thanks everyone for the suggestions. Being in Canada, I'm a bit challenged on finding deals. However, I found this jacket at Walmart for $25CDN. Dunno if someone else can benefit, but I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So thanks everyone for the suggestions. Being in Canada, I'm a bit challenged on finding deals. However, I found this jacket at Walmart for $25CDN. Dunno if someone else can benefit, but I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

At that price point, it might be worthwhile to do the China-direct eBay/Aliexpress route? Sure, the shipping is factored in weeks but the selection is best-on-planet?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Yeah there were some cheaper things on Amazon. That will be my next try is this thing fails miserably.. :ogbiggrin:

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
*isn't at all sure he wants to picture that*
1632760809206.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought this thing. I hate black, but it reviewed really well on NSMB and was dirt cheap, and fits into its own pocket pretty easily:

XL only at that price.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish you lot would stop guilting me for actually spending decent money on this stuff. ;)

I mean..if you HAVE the money....and adhere to your mile/$ rule...good to go! :ogbiggrin:

Well, mine is a just-in-case kind of thing. I doubt it would hold up to frequent use.

As @chris_the_wrench mentioned, it might be impossible to beat the rain gear from Showers Pass. After all, it rains something like 70 inches per year in Eugene OR, where I believe they are located.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Well, mine is a just-in-case kind of thing. I doubt it would hold up to frequent use.

As @chris_the_wrench mentioned, it might be impossible to beat the rain gear from Showers Pass. After all, it rains something like 70 inches per year in Eugene OR, where I believe they are located.

Eh, I have a Showers Pass PU jacket and it's really best as an exterior layer with a fleece underneath - for days when the Gore just isn't warm enough.

It is more waterproof but colder and clammier than the Sugoi Versa Evo, it is more windproof but much colder against skin than the Gore C5, it is nowhere near as breathable and light as the Ornot Magic shell.

@scott43 also knows I'm a big fan of onesies - with both a back pocket packable Vaude and a Dirtlej weatherproof enough to ski in.