• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waterproof Rain Cape

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah and this is not a warm weather jacket. I'll just get wet and be ok in the summer. It's more the 60F and below when it showers, fall and spring. So likely long-sleeves underneath regardless. And it's cool enough that sweat can be mitigated with airflow to some degree.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@cantunamunch, I love the Ornot Magic Shell.

Sadly, even the XXL is too small.

And I'm near what I used to call "race weight" this year.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Shake Dry. I know you don't like the price. I finally did it last season and have zero regrets.
I am a year-round rider in the PNW, and have tried everything at some point. Avoid anything that is "stretch".

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Talk about guilt - I have the Showers Pass "Men's Hi-Vis Torch E-Bike Jacket with beacon lights" plus rain hood and club visible pants at a mere US$410-ish (jacket when in stock about $270 right now) - but the jacket is exceedingly good and given I bought it for potential all day riding while on tour, I don't really regret it: it is also ludicrously visible since effing cagers texting and daydreaming behind the wheel need to see me a long way ahead to be able to make the significant effort of moving the steering wheel.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're looking for a proper rain cape, Cleverhood makes some wonderful ones. Granted, they're more closely based on Dutch-style bike positioning (i.e. more upright), but they're well made, vent reasonably well, and are purpose-built for riding a bicycle in the rain.

Cleverhood also makes an anorak that may work better for riders in more aggressive riding positions like MTBs, road, and gravel setups.

If you want a jersey that's great for precipitation (and don't want a flappy fabric tent around you), the classic Castelli Gabba works well. It's fairly waterproof yet still quite breathable. This item is sought out by pro racers for the cold "classics racing period" in the spring in Belgium and The Netherlands.

Rapha's rain jackets are fantastic, if pricey. Their Pro Team Lightweight Gore-Text Jacket is simply amazing: light, not too flappy, keeps you dry and breathes well. But it's nearly $300, so it's not everyone's cuppa. Their Core Rain Jacket II or Commuter Jacket are more affordable options.

And yes, Showers Pass makes awesome rainwear that's super waterproof. But as @cantunamunch says: they're not very breathable and turn into sauna suits if you work up a sweat.

And cutting to the chase: fenders help a lot! I use SKS RaceBlade Pro removable fenders on my Moots and they provide excellent splash protection on wet roads. Don't discount fenders! In combination with a lighter, more breathable jacket they work a charm.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How old is yours? I just picked up this year's and the XL is a proper XL, about equivalent to LG club/MTB fit.

It was this years, and I confess that I don't remember what the issue was.

But it was not too small, it just fit weirdly.

Currently waiting for this in Manic Yellow 2X. Should be in stock and still on sale in 7-9 days per Pactimo.

A bit breathable, a bit water repellent AND THREE BACK POCKETS FTW!!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How was the Pactimo then?

I just got an email saying they re-jiggered the fit on the Magic Shell for 2022 and I'm not sure I want another.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch, I love the Ornot Magic Shell.

Sadly, even the XXL is too small.

And I'm near what I used to call "race weight" this year.
So this season I got Pearl Izumis answer to the Magic Shell - lighter and more breathable and stretchier by far. Stood up to Ophelia no problem. Much, much lighter than anything Craft have in this space.

Except the fit is only just usable. Shoulders are an inch too narrow in XL and the torso length is shorter than some size L jerseys.

I mean come ON.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Except the fit is only just usable. Shoulders are an inch too narrow in XL and the torso length is shorter than some size L jerseys.

My brother.

I'll still check it out, as Mrs. K can do some damn fine alterations!

I'm a bit unclear what Pearl is calling this new garment?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh, sorry. It's the mens PRO Barrier.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My takeaway is that this is not within the realm of stitchyness Mrs.K is willing to handle.

Well, she could, but I'm so well covered by having two perfectly tailored Sportful XXL rain-proof-ish winter jerseys......

But I also have three lovely Koch XC tops that I love, but not moisture-proof at all, on which are sewn two rear pockets FTW!

Honestly, if there isn't moisture coming out of the sky, I've never worn a better cool weather top, whether for biking or xc skiing.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Was just talking to the biathlon folks up here last week. Says they can keep training into April as long as folks don't walk on the trail. Had me thinking of finding some skate gear again..
:geek: :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you're looking for a proper rain cape, Cleverhood makes some wonderful ones. Granted, they're more closely based on Dutch-style bike positioning (i.e. more upright), but they're well made, vent reasonably well, and are purpose-built for riding a bicycle in the rain.

1696883306816.jpeg

note: the large grid on the cloak in the poster appears on the garment shown when it is lit by flashlight ... or high beams :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January