• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Waxing base question

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

I have a question as I started waxing this season. I am using a blue cold wax on my kids atomic skis. I had an issue where the wax after I ironed it no smoke towards the tip the wax won't scrape off and I used my brushed pretty well. Hard to explain but I can see the wax build up on the ski maybe burned in somewhat? I ended up scratching a little so live and learn this season. Did not have the issue the first time I did it.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
How far towards the tips is the wax that wont scrape off? The tips are soft and often flex so much that its harder to scrape them. Is your scrape sharp? Are the bases flat?
As long as you are careful you could try with a steel scrape.

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
How far towards the tips is the wax that wont scrape off? The tips are soft and often flex so much that its harder to scrape them. Is your scrape sharp? Are the bases flat?
As long as you are careful you could try with a steel scrape.
Ya its towards where the tip starts to angle what a pain in the butt.. tx

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The tips are soft and often flex so much that its harder to scrape them.
This. Try putting a block of wood or other support under them while scraping. Sometimes I'll use the short end of the scraper in a very ad hoc, inelegant way that leaves a messy look. That's okay because A) who cares about the tip, anyway? and B) I brush the crap out of it afterwards with a metal brush, which makes everything look fine again.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I see no reason to wax that far up the ski for future. That part rarely engages with the snow anyway unless you stuffed a tip into a mogul or a waterbar, in which case wax is the least of your worries. Wax the flat part, makes for an easier process all around! :)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The first time I used CH4 years ago it was like I'd applied polyurethane to the skis. I now know to scrape the skis before cooling a bit to reduce the quantity of wax and certainly get rid of the lumps before it hardens. Then I rewarm the ski again and do more scraping, stop warming, continue to scrape, but now it's dust. Then I start hitting it with the stiff rotobrush. It'll still be highly glossy. I only use metal brushes before I wax to clean out the structure.

Sponsor