• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I will stand by my general recommendation that Diamox is not a good medication for treatment of altitude sickness as its mechanism of action takes too long to work, especially if you have more significant symptoms.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I will stand by my general recommendation that Diamox is not a good medication for treatment of altitude sickness as its mechanism of action takes too long to work, especially if you have more significant symptoms.
Just FYI for others reading, @Jwrags is an MD.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not an MD, I'm a (was a) lifelong sufferer of AMS.

Diamox IS a good preventative measure for AMS. It is NOT a good treatment after you have recognized symptoms.

The BEST treatment is acclimatization. Unfortunately, this can take months for true relief.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Again I didn't say acute, but it recognized and prescribed as a treatment on the onset, which if you are caught off guard to give you a chance of getting down safely it is worth it vs not having it and going into acute altitude sickness.

Fine line of distinction....

Not the best vs not at all and suffer badly.

I prefer a stacked deck in my favor to ensure I've cover as many bases as possible.

Just say'n.

Sponsor

Staff online