• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We Lost a Ski Friend RIP Kapper

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have had lots of ski friends over the years, however very few influenced my skiing in any meaningful way. One such skier who did influence me, Jim Kapp has sadly passed away from complications due to ALS. I first met Jim when I was already a member of the Seven Springs Mountain Resort Safety Rangers near Pittsburgh. He soon joined us and I remember wishing that I could ski like him! He had already skied out west many times and taught me that even at a resort in the Mid Atlantic, that there was more to skiing than groomed trails. I was already a good skier and enjoyed bumps. But Jim took me in between the slopes into the trees. Showed me where to find freshies days after a storm, this at a time when I thought I knew that resort like the back of my hand.

A few years later, he invited me to go on my first all guy big mountain ski trip to Whistler Blackcomb back in the early 90's. Out of the 8 guys, I was number 3 in the pecking order. I skied with top two leaving our other buddies in the dust for most of the week. He taught me how to ski powder on my 200cm narrow skis and how to do jump turns on the steeps, and always with a smile on his face!

He eventually switched to teli skis, mastering it in a few short seasons. Not surprisingly he became one of the first instructors to teach teli and was also a member of ski patrol. In his professional life, he was an ace optician who made several pairs of glasses for me.

Sadly I lost touch with him after moving to Cleveland 15 years ago. Hadn't really thought about him till I heard the news this morning. Made me dig out a few pics from that epic trip.

Kapper as we called him is on the far right with big smile! I am in the middle with the big smirk!

[IMG]

In the middle giving us a lesson in powder skiing! I am on left with hat flapping in the wind!

[IMG]

The other guys, Jim on the left! I took the pic.
[IMG]

As I had lost contact with him, I wasn't aware of how involved he became in teaching and the local ski clubs until I read his obituary https://www.laniganfuneralhome.com/...uQ0E-g_pfLEDYx63BOXBOJKM-MXrLTuDXqdnwIa5tM4aM . Though I knew he cycled and dived, I did not realize how involved he was. I don't know where he found the time to do all of this and raise a wonderful family! If you skied regularly at Seven Springs over the past 30-40 years, chances are you met him or at least saw him teaching or patrolling.

RIP Kapper. You made a difference in my ski life. Peace to your lovely wife and children as well as to all who knew you!

Rick G

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice tribute to your buddy/mentor Rick, with some cool old photos. The list of accomplishments in his obit is amazing. He was an impact player in the game of life.

TS
rickg

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Jim! Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well in your Covid World!

Rick G

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing that here Rick. You knew Jim better than i but he was all that and a nice guy.

Tele Ho Kapper

TS
rickg

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks. I kind of feel bad for having lost touch with him after moving away. A great human spirit who left us too soon. He was only 59.

Rick G

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
You are lucky to have had someone who impacted your life in such a positive way. Thanks for sharing.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was heart warming to here about your friendship. Skiing is a unique sport, one in which we all make lasting long time friends. Even though I don't know either of you I can still empathize.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Just saw this today -

Longtime Member Bequests $20,000 to Create New Tele Scholarship
We are sad to report the passing of longtime member James Kapp, who recently passed away after a battle with ALS at the age of 59. Jim was a fixture are Seven Springs, PA for more than 30 years and was an accomplished PSIA-AASI member who earned an Alpine Level 3, Tele Level 3 and AASI Level 1 certification as well as a Master Teacher accreditation.
Last week the Eastern Board officially recognized and affirmed the request by the estate of James Kapp to set up the James K. Kapp Telemark Scholarship Fund. The fund will begin with $21,270 ($20,000 bequest from the estate plus individual member donations) and will begin awarding money to members for Telemark educational events and exams next season (and by doing so, keep the name and legacy of James Kapp alive for years to come!
Members interested in donating to this new scholarship fund may do so by sending a check in the name of James Kapp to PSIA-Eastern Education Foundation, 5 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid