• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Get yo ass here and ride with us! Fall is a bit delayed this year I'm assuming due to the wet spring and summer.
Soon.

Where are you!? We talked about you and .....well. Where are you???
I am neither here nor there. What else would you talk about. ogwink
Maybe see you in Utah on your return trip?

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Enjoying the mountain biking pics, but bringing this back to a ski-related question, I've had a couple really nice days at Powder Mountain on past trips to Utah - so much fun stuff to be found if you dig around a little, even without a guide. Heading back out to Utah in Feb with my wife and planning to stay in Ogden and ski PowMow and Snowbasin, - likely a couple days in each. Only change to that plan would be if snow is not good up there, in which case we'll stay in Sandy and ski LCC/BCC instead. So here's my question. How reliable is the snow up in that area? We have no passes this year, so everything will be day tickets. At the moment, PowMow tickets are $53 if I buy now ($88 walk-up). I'm thinking it seems like a reasonable bet to get at least one day locked in at $53, and maybe do similar at Snowbasin, since we'll likely want to spend at least one day at each. So what are the odds that conditions could be so bad in that area in mid-February that we end up bailing to ski BCC/LCC instead? I'm thinking fairly low chance, but interested in any locals take on this.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So what are the odds that conditions could be so bad in that area in mid-February that we end up bailing to ski BCC
I’m thinking fairly low too. YMMV like anything conditions can change overnight, whether it is wind, r@#n or fog and create 1 day that is less than stellar between a bunch of great ones. So, if you’re playing the odds I’d say you’d be pretty safe.

I would avoid Snowbasin on Saturdays if possible.
Powder Mountain has no snowmaking but again odds are good that the whole mountain would be open and skiable by February even in a below average season.
I am pretty sure that the presale tickets at PM need to be purchased for specific days.

Pow Mow during low tide...
C64177E0-9197-431E-8FB0-A77990298E65.jpeg
Still pretty fun!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just anecdotal and like 4ster saysYMMV: Robin and I spent a week in Ogden 4 seasons ago (I think it was) and Pow Mow was getting 4 - 8" every day, possibly a bit more. Alta and snowbird similar amounts and Snowbasin was only getting an inch or so. Not sure if that is normal behavior. We skied Pow Mow 4 days in a row that week. That access road can be a bit sporty on a good day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please remember-
The first rule of Fight Club
was-late-to-my-first-fight-club-last-night-so-15868838.png

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Checking back in after our trip to add some comments on Powder Mountain, which did not disappoint. Trip with my wife and I – we’re both pretty competent skiers, but certainly no experts when it comes to powder, so PowMow seemed like a great place to get some more experience. Our first day was on Presidents Day Monday, when PM sold its daily maximum of 1500 day tickets. Tip #1 – I don’t think they hit this cap often, but if you’re visiting from out of state, as we were, buy your lift tickets in advance, to avoid disappointment on the day. A couple of days in advance will probably do it, but just don’t expect to rock up on the morning of a peak holiday weekend and be sure of getting a ticket. Tip #2 for visitors – if there is any snow on the road, 4WD is pretty much a necessity to get up to PM, which is at the top of pretty steep road. Check conditions before you go.

Anyways, we made it and despite hitting the daily ticket cap, the mountain was still incredibly empty, particularly for these East Coasters. It had snowed the day before, maybe 8 inches, and throughout that day we found plenty of lightly-tracked snow very easily, with untracked available in the woods with just a little hunting around. And this was one of their busiest days of the season! We skied two more days and continued to find patches of snow in the woods with no problem, and pretty much walked on to every lift.

PM is a huge area. More acreage than Vail – let that sink in a little. And it is made for exploring. There is very little that is super-steep there, so you can poke around and follow trails with very little trepidation. Our favorite areas were Sanctuary, Hippy Hill in Mary’s Bowl (and Mary’s Bowl generally if you like to explore), either side of the Paradise lift (we found great snow in the trees on skier’s left of the ridge - around Medicine Man? – 3 full days after the storm), and the Bluebell area in Cobabe Canyon. But I’m sure we only scratched the surface.

Woody’s World and Powder Country were both still closed after the storm, so we didn’t get in there at all. We did do one cat-ride ($25 ea) up Lightning Ridge. We did it about 11am on the first day it opened, and the main way back down to Paradise (they called it the back side) was already pretty tracked out. So any later than that and you would need to explore a little. But that main route down is very mellow, so worth doing for the experience, and nothing for intermediate skiers to be concerned about.

Mary’s Bowl is a great new addition to PM. It’s a wide, fairly shallow bowl served by one lift, with scattered trees all over to play in. It takes some getting to and from, but is worth the trek. We did not get in there on the first day after the storm, but everybody who did said it was very good that day. With that context, my likely storm-day plan would be hit Paradise first, then Sanctuary for a couple, then Mary’s in the afternoon. But this is based on a total of 5 days ever skiing PM, so take it for what it’s worth.

I maintain that PM would be an incredible place to take your family, and we are thinking of coming back next year with our teen kids. It’s still (relatively) affordable, with wide-open empty cruising trails, and so many mellow open tree shots for kids to go make their own, safe adventure.

However, a few words of caution. Lodges and food are old-school - this may not be the place for you if luxury is your thing. There are only a few lifts, and some long run-outs to get back to them, so be ready to have fun and enjoy the scenery on the journey. There are comparatively few truly steep runs. And little in the way of nightlife and fine dining close by.

But if you’re looking for powder snow, with a super-mellow vibe, and no competition, then PM may be worth checking out.

A crowded day at Powder Mountain
IMG_5883.jpg

This run was straight under the lift at 9.45 on Presidents Day

IMG_6180.JPG

The drop-off point for the cat

IMG_6181.JPG

In the background, the main run down the back side from where the cat drops you. Nothing at all intimidating

IMG_6182.JPG

This was in Mary's Bowl, on the morning of the third day after the storm

IMG_6183.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, looks like you had some incredible conditions while you were there.
@Philpug and I joined @AmyPJ and @utskier last month for a day at Powder Mountain. We didn't have the benefit of fresh powder but we sure had fun on the perfect corduroy.
A02E85E5-F084-4B32-80DE-472D20C9D9BE.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.00.47 PM.png

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Yeah, we felt we got pretty lucky with the timing, but the locals were complaining that the storm didn't really deliver much and the conditions were just okay...

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
PowMow is my absolute favorite place to ski. Snowbasin is a close second which is probably why I have been day dreaming lately of buying a place in Eden. The first time there I was overwhelmed and felt like I missed a ton. The second time I went with a guide and had the best day on skis ever! For me making laps in Powder Country and riding the bus is true happiness. I haven't been back since the acquisition because life has gotten in the way but it's certainly on my to-do list. I knew they were limiting tickets but had no idea it was so few. :geek:

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
.......... I knew they were limiting tickets but had no idea it was so few. :geek:

I called before going to PowMow last year to see about the limit since I was using my Loveland pass. The woman I spoke with said they usually only hit the limit on holiday or powder dump saturdays. This was in February and she said they had only cut off sales three times in thhat season to date.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Yes, I would agree. They sold out on the Sunday and Monday of Presidents Day weekend, but I think only one time before that. So it's a pretty rare occurrence, but just something to be aware of if you're going to be there at a peak time

Sponsor