• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We were all there once -- GAPER SKI LIST

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
It's when you think you're doing a real World Cup racing style tuck, but you actually look like this, poles sticking up, flailing about:

View attachment 144963
When I do that, I like to make sure that I'm so crouched over that my baskets are actually AHEAD of my grips. The poles must be all the way up to the arm pits, and the hands on the grips should be on the thighs (for stability, dontcha know).

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
I've left my boots at home.

I have grabbed the wrong skis out of the rack, but not the way you might think. I was in a hurry to get to the meeting place for a cat ski standby day, and I grabbed my wife's powder skis from our rack at home. Needless to say, they didn't fit my boots. I had to rent the spare backup pair carried on the cat.

I've always wanted to go cat skiing on a pair of skis I've never touched before...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I grabbed my wife's powder skis
I grabbed @Tricia's pair of VMTs out of their garage one morning instead of the men's size. I spent the morning zipping around Mt. Rose on purple 160 somethings. Nothing as bad as missing a cat ski with your own skis!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I grabbed @Tricia's pair of VMTs out of their garage one morning instead of the men's size. I spent the morning zipping around Mt. Rose on purple 160 somethings. Nothing as bad as missing a cat ski with your own skis!
Yeah, but you're a sensitive guy.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
They had demo bindings,right. No judgment if the same bsl as @Tricia. ogwink

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey! i resemble that remark! Anyway, having a 285 BSL lets me crank the DIN up further...,. :geek:
You may have keebler feet but you ski A-Dult Size skis.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
2... fell off a lift (7 y.o. at the time), and boots too big.... not hugely so, but too big.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
This may be a case of you're a gaper if you have to ask, but shouldn't leaving your sticker and wire lift tickets hanging from the coat zipper for an entire winter be on the list?
Only if the tickets flap in your face when you zip up.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Grumps keep a wire cutter in their gear for clipping the wire or plastic loop and remove the ticket before they leave the lodge. Anti-gaper behavior.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I scored a 8 but I think it should be a 7 because someone gave me a Ski tote but I have never used it.
The worst of my list was, I packed to go to Stowe VT. and left my ski pants home. I asked the guy at the desk of the hotel I was staying if any ski shops were open late because I didn't get to Stowe until after 9:00 PM and he asked me what I needed. I told him that I forgot to pack my ski pants and he laughed and said he would give me a loaner pair of shell pants. I used them for Saturday and Sunday and gave them back to him Sunday evening. I think I gave him a good tip but don't ask me how much it was because I don't know.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
This may be a case of you're a gaper if you have to ask, but shouldn't leaving your sticker and wire lift tickets hanging from the coat zipper for an entire winter be on the list?

We call those skiers "Archaeologists". They have every lift ticket they've ever skied with attached to their coat, hopefully including today's. Gaper? Yeah, probably.

When I have to endure the indignity of a lift ticket I snip it off at the very first opportunity. Real Skiers™ almost never ski with a visible lift ticket.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
We call those skiers "Archaeologists". They have every lift ticket they've ever skied with attached to their coat, hopefully including today's. Gaper? Yeah, probably.

When I have to endure the indignity of a lift ticket I snip it off at the very first opportunity. Real Skiers™ almost never ski with a visible lift ticket.
Dang I've been doing it wrong. What about ski pins?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
16” powder day, so I took the bus.

Couldn’t scan in the gondi line.

Immediately realized that my pass was hanging on the rearview mirror of my car back at the condo.

Sponsor

Staff online