• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We were all there once -- GAPER SKI LIST

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Oh, the painful memories!

I counted six from the original list, and I own a pair of mittens and ski pants purchased on trips. Is this why it's such an expensive sport?

Not to mention: I didn't leave my skis in the parking lot, but I backed over them. I had other skis in the back of the RAV-4 so I didn't realize they were missing until halfway home. Black Pearls just starting their second year.

As a beginner, is falling two out of every three trips up the lift a thing?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot my gloves one day. No problem, I could use another pair. In the shop I saw the exact pair I already had so I knew they'd be good. Since then I've grabbed two lefts or two rights out of the glove drawer more than once and had to ski feeling like one of my hands was on backwards.

But the most indelible, painful noob move I can remember was on the very first day I ever skied. It was early season at Heavenly and I was downloading, along with seasoned skiers on the Gunbarrel chair. I'd hitched a ride with an unknown female of interest. Things went well until it was time to unload when I held the clumsiest of yard sales getting off the chair. She was gone like a flash and I never saw her again.

I scored 6.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lol too many to list

fell of chair, drove in boots etc etc.

but also ate it hard and lost a ski for 45 mi., first turn on a huge pow day at breck, in the bowls off the T bar

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I dropped in on some nice untracked powder at the Big Sky gathering. I missed the "don't do it" sign. Made a few nice turns and ended up going down what turned out to be the uphill track. It was very flat and very slow for quite a long way. To quote @Tricia, if there are no tracks there's usually a reason.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I dropped in on some nice untracked powder at the Big Sky gathering. I missed the "don't do it" sign. Made a few nice turns and ended up going down what turned out to be the uphill track. It was very flat and very slow for quite a long way. To quote @Tricia, if there are no tracks there's usually a reason.
IIRC @Erik Timmerman taught me that when we were riding a chairlift at Stowe. I think he said something like..."If the locals haven't gone there then maybe you should ask yourself - Why not?"

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I'm a double digit gaper.

As recently as 2015 I took a pair of older skis with system/integrated bindings into a shop to have them switch the system bindings to a new pair of flat skis. bikecrash

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does falling off the chairlift while loading because the gaper who loaded the chair with you was a newbie and put her skis on top of yours then proceeded to fall, thus yanking you off count?

I think the biggest "doh" moments that happen repeatedly in my household are forgotten poles or gloves. Forgetting to dry gloves on a multi-day trip after skiing in a storm and having wet gloves. Forgetting the outer shell jacket.

My helmets are often crooked--bike and ski. Lopsided brain?

I think the best story that ever happened to me was two seasons ago when I was carrying my skis to load the gondola after skiing a run, and a random lady came up and asked if she could take some snow off my skis...then she ate it. :geek:

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Does falling off the chairlift while loading because the gaper who loaded the chair with you was a newbie and put her skis on top of yours then proceeded to fall, thus yanking you off count?

I think the biggest "doh" moments that happen repeatedly in my household are forgotten poles or gloves. Forgetting to dry gloves on a multi-day trip after skiing in a storm and having wet gloves. Forgetting the outer shell jacket.

My helmets are often crooked--bike and ski. Lopsided brain?

I think the best story that ever happened to me was two seasons ago when I was carrying my skis to load the gondola after skiing a run, and a random lady came up and asked if she could take some snow off my skis...then she ate it. :geek:
Oh wow, i was just sitting down on a lift when a group from my lesson overshot, ran into my group's chair hard and had put skis on top of the back of my skis. Peeled me right off the chair. It was max chaos gaperness for the whole group. I finally got some list love for 7.
Am gonna be the gaper who asks...."Texas Tuck"?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Am gonna be the gaper who asks...."Texas Tuck"?
It's when you think you're doing a real World Cup racing style tuck, but you actually look like this, poles sticking up, flailing about:

1634220871735.png

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Falling in the lift line or on a completely flat trail while standing still is one of my specialties.

Yeah, that's me...

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Oh gosh, second time skiing at Shawnee Mtn PA, came FLYING down to the base area, tried to stop on the glare ice, fell and slid sideways over the snow cliff to come clattering to a yardsale on the concrete deck in front of the lodge. Good, good times.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh gosh, second time skiing at Shawnee Mtn PA, came FLYING down to the base area, tried to stop on the glare ice, fell and slid sideways over the snow cliff to come clattering to a yardsale on the concrete deck in front of the lodge. Good, good times.
Ice? In NEPA? No way!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid