• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We were all there once -- GAPER SKI LIST

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
One more to add - I had rental ski boots so large that when I crashed (over the handlebars in moguls), my foot and sock came out of one boot. The boot stayed clipped into the binding. The ski with attached boot was firmly lodged by its tip into the top of a mogul. I had to walk uphill to retrieve it... I recall having some snow (water) in my boot after that.

Edit: this was during a private lesson. Talk about a hopeless case! LOL.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does falling off the chairlift while loading because the gaper who loaded the chair with you was a newbie and put her skis on top of yours then proceeded to fall, thus yanking you off count?

I think the biggest "doh" moments that happen repeatedly in my household are forgotten poles or gloves. Forgetting to dry gloves on a multi-day trip after skiing in a storm and having wet gloves. Forgetting the outer shell jacket.

My helmets are often crooked--bike and ski. Lopsided brain?

I think the best story that ever happened to me was two seasons ago when I was carrying my skis to load the gondola after skiing a run, and a random lady came up and asked if she could take some snow off my skis...then she ate it. :geek:
Oh wow, i was just sitting down on a lift when a group from my lesson overshot, ran into my group's chair hard and had put skis on top of the back of my skis. Peeled me right off the chair. It was max chaos gaperness for the whole group. I finally got some list love for 7.
Am gonna be the gaper who asks...."Texas Tuck"?
We were loading the 6-pack bubble at Killington when a guy decided to try and join our chair... too late! The chair slammed into him and he knocked me over with my skis under the chair that then proceeded to drag me a couple feet. Plus I was twisted somehow that put a lot of tension on my knees. Needless to say, the liftees were so amazed that they didn't stop the lift nearly fast enough. I don't think this is a gaper move on my part, except that I should have been keeping those poles strategically placed to discourage such behavior!

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
We were loading the 6-pack bubble at Killington when a guy decided to try and join our chair... too late! The chair slammed into him and he knocked me over with my skis under the chair that then proceeded to drag me a couple feet. Plus I was twisted somehow that put a lot of tension on my knees. Needless to say, the liftees were so amazed that they didn't stop the lift nearly fast enough. I don't think this is a gaper move on my part, except that I should have been keeping those poles strategically placed to discourage such behavior!
I've seen that before. Sometimes the late joiner get's nailed by the chair which is kind of satisfying I guess if it's not a bud or a kid. That could be a whole thread on it's own for those who've worked lifts. Kind of like Rutger Hauer's line "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
17 + got waistpack stuck between the back supports on a triple chair and damn near decapitated the skier sliding off to my left as we hit the bullwheel

I did this at ABasin when I was in college. Except I was on the left, luckily; I just rode around the bullwheel for a bit until they noticed

Other than that, 12.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This list should also be "still do some variation of".. extra points. I'm all over that!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen that before. Sometimes the late joiner get's nailed by the chair which is kind of satisfying I guess if it's not a bud or a kid. That could be a whole thread on it's own for those who've worked lifts. Kind of like Rutger Hauer's line "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"
Oh c'mon... nothing that happens as a ski resort could possibly compare to seeing C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate!

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Oh c'mon... nothing that happens as a ski resort could possibly compare to seeing C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate!
Maybe not as techie but

Attachments

• bear-chasing-skier-down-hill.jpg
    bear-chasing-skier-down-hill.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
It's when you think you're doing a real World Cup racing style tuck, but you actually look like this, poles sticking up, flailing about:

View attachment 144963

We call that the "Texas wedge". Skier tucked into a crouch, poles straight up vertical, wedging like crazy to keep from going too fast. You see it all the time on holiday weekends.

The term "Texas wedge" comes from golf. Apparently in Texas the sand traps are so hard and dried out that you use a putter to extricate your ball, so a Texas wedge is a putter. It got repurposed as a skiing term. Texas tuck is fine, but the Texas wedge is more humorous, at least to a (former) golfer.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I got six, plus the leaving important gear at home. But does that make you a gaper or just plain old and forgetful? Now I have a Season Start checklist and a locker with backups of almost everything, so it won't happen.

I suspect the fact that I still sport a fanny pack would seem gaperish, but that's the size of what I need with me during the day so I don't need to run back to the lodge to eat or get a goggle scraper or chapstick or aspirin or whatever. I'm not a slave to style at the expense of being prepared.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This is a drift. Perhaps the most gaperesk thing I have seen in about 65 years on ski hills; and magnificently done by a professional was..............
At a Fall RM PSIA clinic many years ago. My group is going up the chair and THE GROUP (with all of the directors, technical people, and superstars in general including Roger Staub and other former Olympians) was all lined up like a good little ski class down below. Some lowly supervisor from somewhere comes down and is going to stop above the group, a major no no. If he would have stopped it would not have been memorable. It was a game Ski School Director Dominos all down in one big tangled pile. The poor guy who started the debacle probably had to go back to Europe find a job that winter.

Some days it is good to be a peon.

Sponsor