• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weems' - Secrets of the Steep - Powder Mag

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Powder Magazine is publishing some of their heritage articles for their 45th Anniversary.
In this issue, they're re-publishing our own @Weems Westfeldt 's Secrets of the Steep - Tricks to break your psyche barrier.

Some of us have had the good fortune of getting some first hand instruction from Weems on this topic.
I recall @margaritamarcia telling a story of intimidating snow conditions and how Weems helped her get over it.

I recall standing at the top of AMF at Snowmass with Weems, timid to make the entrance. Weems talked to me about how I needed to figure out where my first turn was going to be, which I did, but I still stood there waiting for the timidity to go away. All at once I heard Weems boldly say, "MAKE THE DAMN TURN!!"
I did, and now I am eager to go back and ski AMF.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_9271.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a really good article. Timeless.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's a really good article. Timeless.

I've been enjoying a lot of these "heritage" articles. Sometimes it really is true: "The more things change..."

Also "MAKE THE DAMN TURN" made me laugh this morning.
Right now my girls are a little young for that - the rare times they get a little timid I remind them to get aggressive and "ski like a GRRRRRLLLLL!"
Maybe I'll use that when they are teenagers...although by that time, they'll probably be the ones prodding me.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just read that Secrets of the Steep article published in Powder. It's Brilliant; I can use it in my Skiing Every Day.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great article. I'm looking forward to receiving my hard copy with Powder Mag!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great article. I'm looking forward to receiving my hard copy with Powder Mag!
Wow. every copy of Powder I have had were paperback...where do you get hard copies? :huh:;)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
What a fabulous statement:
You can’t beat the mountain. It knows nothing of man’s will and courage, and couldn’t care less. What it does understand is gravity, snow behavior, and grace. And you have to move within in its laws and its processes.

CharlieP

Putting on skis
Skier
Smartass!
I mean, how many people actually get real magazines in the MAIL anymore, vs. just digital editions? :roflmao:

Ha,ha,ha,ha. Hardcopy as in a "printed on paper" edition. I know where you are coming from. I'm a print version person myself. Can't get used to reading the newspaper in electronic format, have to pay for the "printed" version.

CP

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha,ha,ha,ha. Hardcopy as in a "printed on paper" edition. I know where you are coming from. I'm a print version person myself. Can't get used to reading the newspaper in electronic format, have to pay for the "printed" version.

CP
Yeah, and while I love my Kindle, I still like a good old book in my hands!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to put things in perspective. Stauffy is the easiest way down from the West Basin Ridge. :eek:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
That slope not only super steep, but uhm looks super firm. I am with @AmyPJ on this one. I think I would die if I were on top of that, either from fear or from skiing it if I tried to. :eek:

But I did enjoy the article! Great, timeless advice.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That slope not only super steep, but uhm looks super firm. I am with @AmyPJ on this one. I think I would die if I were on top of that, either from fear or from skiing it if I tried to. :eek:

But I did enjoy the article! Great, timeless advice.

It was pretty soft, actually. Very edgeable. Falling still not a good idea.

But yeah ... that's the slope he was describing in the article, which is why I posted it.

Sponsor

Staff online