• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weems' - Secrets of the Steep - Powder Mag

CharlieP

Putting on skis
Skier
Sept 14, 2016

Looks like the proverbial "Die, Die" situation. :nono::(:eek::crash:

ps: BTW, skier in yellow ski parka seems to me to be the Weems?

Last edited:

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Just to put things in perspective. Stauffy is the easiest way down from the West Basin Ridge. :eek:

Haha...if I had to choose a favorite run off West Basin it would probably be Stauffenberg or Zdarsky, precisely for this reason. While they are certainly steep, they are open with a consistent fall line. As much as I like to challenge myself with a lap through Heavy Timber, Cuervo, Sauza, High Somewhere, Meatball, etc., nothing beats the feeling of charging down Stauffy. Unless the snow is just right, charging through the other runs mentioned just doesn't seem like an option. I've found myself puckered beyond belief while trying to pick through Cuervo or High Somewhere on a boney year.

Great article @Weems Westfeldt

Thanks for sharing @Tricia

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Sept 14, 2016

Looks like the proverbial "Die, Die" situation. :nono::(:eek::crash:

ps: BTW, skier in yellow ski parka seems to me to be the Weems?

The dude in the yellow ski parka is obviously me. :D See my avatar picture for evidence.

I think I'd shit a brick atop Staffenberg's... :eek:

:popcorn:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, being able to form a brick shaped turd would make you calm and collected enough to concentrate so as to produce such a unique object. I would say that you are ready to rock and roll.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The amazing thing about the article is if one is to remove all date references from it, it would read like a recently published article and the content still relevant.

Stauffy is actually pretty mellow (by Taos standard) after entry. My favorite up there is Fifth Chute (Zdarsky) and St. B.

Taos is a very special place. Still vividly etched in my mind is my first run off the West Basin Ridge down Spitfire in January 1989. On a pair of Volkl RS 205 cm during the second day of a ski week. I gave away my “I skied Pallavicini” tee shirt when I got home. Found a new love. Still in love after all these years.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recall standing at the top of AMF at Snowmass with Weems, timid to make the entrance. Weems talked to me about how I needed to figure out where my first turn was going to be, which I did, but I still stood there waiting for the timidity to go away. All at once I heard Weems boldly say, "MAKE THE DAMN TURN!!"
I did, and now I am eager to go back and ski AMF.
I just stumbled upon this shot from that day
20348_456812445017_1080472_n.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ Nice pants. :)
I was actually thinking. I got those pants from @vanhoskier , I bought the jacket in Glenwood Springs on the way up with Bob Barnes, Chris Gieb and Annie Black and I think the goggles are the only things I have left from that kit.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Coincidentally I shot some video in AMF at last year's Gathering. Including a stranger wearing a jacket I thought I recognized ...oops.

It's a nice run.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Coincidentally I shot some video in AMF at last year's Gathering. Including a stranger wearing a jacket I thought I recognized ...oops.

It's a nice run.
As much as that intimidated me on the first go around, I love it now!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of steep, and Gatherings, I've been looking at Whistler-Blackcomb on youtube. There is some steep stuff there, and some seriously intimidating entrances. Looking forward to scaring myself.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always wondered what's in your pack. Now I know, a quick change of base layers. :D