• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weight loss effect on ski performance?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I have lost 65 pounds since the lifts stopped (a month too early) last year and am wondering what effect this will have on the performance/feel of my skis.

About me. 63 years old, 5'6 188 lbs. I ski Big Sky and am an advanced intermediate that likes steep groomers, moderate bump and tree runs.

Current skis are Fischer Motiv 95 in 174 and K2 Superchargers in 176.

I guess my main concern is both will feel a bit too stiff/non responsive without that extra (excessive) witght to drive them.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Congrats on what will be a life-changing effort! I lost nearly 60 pounds over the course of several years about a decade ago and it made a huge difference to my athletic, and ski, performance.

Don't be worried about the stiffness of your skis. At 188, you will have no problem bending virtually any ski you are on. What you will find, though, is that you will be much more able to move your mass. This will be an opportunity to fine-tune your fore/aft pressure management skills.

Of course, if you want to buy new skis, then feel free to use your weight loss as a convenient excuse. OTOH, you can just reward yourself for the changes in lifestyle that have made this possible!

Mike

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think it depends how did that weight loss come from significant increase in exsrcise and increased muscle strength or just from diet or other event like a medical change.
If you go do other physical activities or exercises do you feel stronger or weaker?

The stats that you gave for weight and height is still technically pretty high on the bmi range, and above the adjustments for the Athletic/stocky build too. I mean to say you are not underweight for those skis yet if you look at ave weight or even the recommended ski sizing based on weights.

This is not like you are on 130mm 190cm powder skis, where yes you might be underweight for those and just along for the ride on 2 planks.

How your exact skis will ski also is a bit changing, maybe you already took all the life out of them last season, and the skis died due to days on the mtn not due to your weight change.

Whatever nonresponse youre anticipating from lack of weight is counteracted by increased quickness and less mass the ski needs to redirect and move. When I had to sometimes carry a niece/nephew down the hill, the extra weight make the skiing much more sluggish and slower turns and stops, the weight did not make it easier to turn.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm down about 20 and was wondering the same thing. I doubt at 200 I'll notice a difference between that and 220. Still, I hope to keep going to about 185ish. You may want to check the binding setting though. I forget where all the breaks are. Probably the same, but...

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
A coworker of mine lost a significant amount of weight between ski seasons. He noted the biggest challenge was that his center of gravity shifted back quite a bit after weight loss, since most of the weight came off his abdomen. It took him a while to get his balance calibrated. So any 'weirdness' you feel will probably be normal and not indicative of needing new skis.

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The biggest suggestion is to check your boots. That large weight change potentially may have changed your feet
I am worried about that. Just bought new boots last season and am concerned they may be too loose. I have noticed that my shoes fit much looser than they use to.

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
i think it depends how did that weight loss come from significant increase in exsrcise and increased muscle strength or just from diet or other event like a medical change.
If you go do other physical activities or exercises do you feel stronger or weaker?

It is mostly from diet, although loosing all of the weight has make exercise much more pleasant which has resulted in a lot of bike riding and walking that I wasn't doing previously.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm down about 20 and was wondering the same thing. I doubt at 200 I'll notice a difference between that and 220. Still, I hope to keep going to about 185ish. You may want to check the binding setting though. I forget where all the breaks are. Probably the same, but...
Look at how much more agile @Philpug was last winter after losing 25 lbs

@SShore your binding settings shouldn't change, but you may want to check your bootfit.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As long as his height hasn't changed, his binding setting shouldn't change.

I give my boy a level 3 calc and then dial it down 1/4 turn. Any chart with x range is just a chart maybe I overthink it.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have lost 65 pounds since the lifts stopped (a month too early) last year and am wondering what effect this will have on the performance/feel of my skis.

About me. 63 years old, 5'6 188 lbs. I ski Big Sky and am an advanced intermediate that likes steep groomers, moderate bump and tree runs.

Current skis are Fischer Motiv 95 in 174 and K2 Superchargers in 176.

I guess my main concern is both will feel a bit too stiff/non responsive without that extra (excessive) witght to drive them.

You won't have time to ski, because you will be marketing a diet plan to help the rest of us achieve what you did. Congratulations! Color me impressed!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As long as his height hasn't changed, his binding setting shouldn't change.
I realize this is harder than winning a land war in Aisia, but the DIN setting charts I see have an input for 175-209 pounds and a different one for 210+. OP says they are at 188 after losing 65 pounds so doesn't that change that input from the highest weight to the second highest weight regardless of their height being the same?

And OP, congrats on that weight drop! You will live longer and healthier as a result.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I realize this is harder than winning a land war in Aisia, but the DIN setting charts I see have an input for 175-209 pounds and a different one for 210+. OP says they are at 188 after losing 65 pounds so doesn't that change that input from the highest weight to the second highest weight regardless of their height being the same?

And OP, congrats on that weight drop! You will live longer and healthier as a result.
The 5'6" will be what the setting will be based on, he could weigh 188 or 253

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would check you DIN online and just see what it says. To be on the safe side, you might back it off by 1/2 a DIN setting. Remember Force is Mass X Acceleration, so you will just have to ski faster ;)

You probably won't notice much from your skis, except they might grip better on hardpack with less weight forcing them to slide. Your increased athletic skills should be the most noticeable thing. Un-weighting will be easier.

Congrat's