• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weight loss effect on ski performance?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The 5'6" will be what the setting will be based on, he could weigh 188 or 253
Correct. It's whatever gives the lowest setting, his height or his weight, and in his case it's his height that gives the lowest setting for both weights.
He should check his height again with a tape measure. He may have gotten shorter with age due to gravity, and 5'6" is right on the other side of the height setting :P I bet they look taller though, again way to go dropping that 65 pounds.

parkrat

Booting up
Skier
I am worried about that. Just bought new boots last season and am concerned they may be too loose. I have noticed that my shoes fit much looser than they use to.

There's no way you lose 65 pounds and have your boots feel the same. The boots will feel stiffer than they used to. If you like softer flex boots, it might be time to go shopping.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I agree your ability to flex the boots may change. Boots can easily be softened, though. Fit will be the greater factor in whether you need different boots or not. Reducing volume effectively is not as easy as it may sound.

I don't think your skis will be a problem.

Congrats on losing weight and gaining fitness.

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
After I bought the boots I started thinking they were too soft, so this may have solved that problem.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
65 lbs!! If I lose even less than 15lbs I am swimming in my boots. In my opinion fit is probably the key to your problem. Try on new boots with a boot fitter - not a store manager or sales person - a boot fitter. What you described in the OP I have experienced.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
65 lbs!! If I lose even less than 15lbs I am swimming in my boots. In my opinion fit is probably the key to your problem. Try on new boots with a boot fitter - not a store manager or sales person - a boot fitter. What you described in the OP I have experienced.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Unfortunately we haven't heard from OP in ~3 seasons, no idea how it worked out.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ha ha, forget to check the dates. Boots probably fit now.