• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've tried the purple and blue plans but not the Green.
I guess the differences can make a difference on how you like to eat and what your pitfalls are.
Green gives you more points but takes them away faster! Eggs are 2 each, chicken is points, and all the free stuff is meh. Jicama? Come on! I want chips!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Green gives you more points but takes them away faster! Eggs are 2 each, chicken is points, and all the free stuff is meh. Jicama? Come on! I want chips!
On Purple, free foods included whole grain rice, potatoes, quinoa and stuff like that.
That didn't work for me because I would load up on potatoes.
Sounds like that was the pitfall for @crgildart 's wife with eggs.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay folks I'm struggling.
Bearing my soul here.
Since September 14th when I had a biopsy for breast cancer, I was advised to not do anything that would cause jarring, so mountain biking and significant hiking was out.
I had a few weeks during that time when I could hike with compression bra, then I had the surgery on October 16th. Since then I have not been able to do a lot, although I've doubled up on compression to take a couple hikes, which felt good.

I've been taking Gypsy on walks pretty regularly, but had a few days when I couldn't.
This sedentary life has taken its toll on me and I weighed in at the doctor's office at 147 yesterday.
My eating has been good but I'll admit I've been drinking beyond my dailies but not using up all my weeklies.

I'm determined to not be back to 150, but 147 feels so close.

The lack of being able to do my normal activity is setting me back. :(

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Try cold showers - as in no hot water at all - as a thermogenic non-exercise task.

If nothing else it can help with the mental game, and if you can keep it up for 5 weeks+ it will change your body.

EDIT: Got an indoor trainer setup yet? Put a cheap Guizzo-type suspension seatpost on it to even out the up&down jouncing.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Oh wow @Tricia, I feel your frustration. Hope you can get control of this issue. It's hard to do. I've been on diets for 25 years, on and off, and I know the challenges that come when one is stuck. I'm also on WW.

Are there immediate benefits you can feel when you stick to an eating plan? If you can find some and focus on them, that would be helpful. Do you like the feeling of being empty? The feeling of having no leftover taste in your mouth from just having eaten food? The sensation of being able to bend forward in the middle without a full abdomen in the way? Are you one to do self-tracking? A journal full of smiley faces you give yourself throughout the day can cause happy feelings, if you are one to write such things down.

Good feelings that come from boredom eating are really strong. They need to be overwritten. I've never found focusing on the long term benefits of eating less to be much help with this.

Those immediate good sensations from less eating are hard to identify, but if you can find them and focus on them, that may help. It helps me. Best of luck.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bearing my soul here.
Since September 14th when I had a biopsy for breast cancer, I was advised to not do anything that would cause jarring, so mountain biking and significant hiking was out.
I had a few weeks during that time when I could hike with compression bra, then I had the surgery on October 16th. Since then I have not been able to do a lot, although I've doubled up on compression to take a couple hikes, which felt good.

I've been taking Gypsy on walks pretty regularly, but had a few days when I couldn't.
This sedentary life has taken its toll on me and I weighed in at the doctor's office at 147 yesterday.
My eating has been good but I'll admit I've been drinking beyond my dailies but not using up all my weeklies.

:hug:

Be easy on yourself !!! This too shall pass, and you will be able to enjoy your routines again. In the meantime, find ways to smile and take care of yourself as best as you can. Hugs from afar!

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hang in there, remind yourself that the lack of normal activity is just temporary. For me, my weight has been creeping up a smidge after staying steady for months, and I have nothing to blame it on. My activity level has even gone up since getting a new pup a month ago. I think it is the same culprit of drinking beyond my dailies. Kind of hard not to lately though. I think it is time I focus on measuring my portion sizes, even on the 0 point foods to see if that might make a difference. If all else has stayed the same for you, I'm betting that once you can get back to usual routines and activity those extra pounds will come right back off.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an elliptical that is gathering dust...

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bearing my soul here.

Have you switched back to Green? It is really limiting when you have to count pretty much everything. The drink will impact you even if you stay below the point level. I'm still having problems with the snacks though the portion control really does help.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hang in there. You are following doctor's orders and that's your job right now as it is in your best interests health-wise. You deserve a hug, a soft one. :hug:

I get how you feel but remember our weight does not define us. I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but in one sense, it's good that you can shift away from facing a dire health risk to worrying about a temporary sedentary lifestyle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have added a few sympathy pounds too. I have been hovering around 190...I need to get back to 185

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have added a few sympathy pounds too. I ahve been hovering around 190...I need to get back to 185
I'm still working on losing my sympathy baby weight from 26 years ago!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you switched back to Green? It is really limiting when you have to count pretty much everything. The drink will impact you even if you stay below the point level. I'm still having problems with the snacks though the portion control really does help.
I'm on Blue, and after my doctor visit I've decided to take a couple weeks off from drinking. Can't hurt, might help.
Now that I'm out of the woods with the breast cancer, I'll schedule my colonoscopy. That oughta help. ;)

Hang in there. You are following doctor's orders and that's your job right now as it is in your best interests health-wise. You deserve a hug, a soft one. :hug:

I get how you feel but remember our weight does not define us. I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but in one sense, it's good that you can shift away from facing a dire health risk to worrying about a temporary sedentary lifestyle.
Thanks Vicki. I think I just needed to say it (or post it) out loud.
Phil and I went for a long walk with Gypsy after I got back from my Dr appointment
Getting fresh air and excercise does me a lot of good mentally and physically.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I think a lot of us have put on a few due to the impact of the virus on our lives. Isn't that why they call it the Covid "19"? ;)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you like the feeling of being empty? The feeling of having no leftover taste in your mouth from just having eaten food?

Wow, that pulled an old memory out of the bank -- I remember my mom telling me to brush my teeth when I wanted to eat between meals, and that actually worked. Don't want to mess up that minty fresh feeling!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hang in there, remind yourself that the lack of normal activity is just temporary. For me, my weight has been creeping up a smidge after staying steady for months, and I have nothing to blame it on. My activity level has even gone up since getting a new pup a month ago. I think it is the same culprit of drinking beyond my dailies. Kind of hard not to lately though. I think it is time I focus on measuring my portion sizes, even on the 0 point foods to see if that might make a difference. If all else has stayed the same for you, I'm betting that once you can get back to usual routines and activity those extra pounds will come right back off.
This is me.
I got sloppy about counting zero point stuff and wasn't measuring anything accurately, mostly because I had gained a good judgement of what a Tbs of dressing is, and how much an oz of deli meat is and....(you get the idea)

After I posted my initial post this morning Phil and I took Gypsy on a 3 mile walk on some hilly terrain. That felt good. When we got back to the house I decided to take the bike on a paved trail to see how my range of motion was and test out the chest wall. Both of those things felt good. I still don't think I'll be riding my bike on dirt for a bit, but this was a start.

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Good job on hanging in there Tricia, it's hard enough to stick with it during normal times, which having cancer ain't. **Hugs** - thoughts and prayers are with you even though we've never met. My mom recovered from Brest Cancer when she was 93 and went on to live a long, full (cancer free) life.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
On another forum I follow had a survey of what weight plan or weight loss method was the best way to lose weight. The funny thing is the number one method to loose weight that came in by a wide margin as the most effective was.......... Divorce or Break-up It is guarantied to be effective.

PS sorry not in your case but just in general

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, that pulled an old memory out of the bank -- I remember my mom telling me to brush my teeth when I wanted to eat between meals, and that actually worked. Don't want to mess up that minty fresh feeling!
I did that for a while but was developing sensitive teeth :D
Good job on hanging in there Tricia, it's hard enough to stick with it during normal times, which having cancer ain't. **Hugs** - thoughts and prayers are with you even though we've never met. My mom recovered from Brest Cancer when she was 93 and went on to live a long, full (cancer free) life.
Thanks. I'm doing well with the BC recovery, going to do radiation soon.

The weather has been incredible here, but cold weather with precipitation is coming in.
I'm really stoked about the weather change, but need to stay diligent in staying active while we're waiting for snow.

Had dinner at @Andy Mink 's house last night. He grilled some delicous antelope with 2 vegetable sides!
4 point dinner on Blue.
2 days of no drinking. We'll see how I feel in two weeks.

This isn't a sprint, its a marathon.

Divorce or Break-up It is guarantied to be effective.
LOL I did have some weight loss when I went through divorce 10+ years ago.
In fact, I lost over 200 lbs ;)
@Philpug is a keeper so that weight loss program is not an option.

Last edited:

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't checked into this thread lately but ski season approaches and I am taking stock.

I am at +5 from my lowest weight which means I am hovering around my original goal of losing 40 lb. I lost the extra 5 lb. on our last ski trip in February/March. I hope I can lose it again when I return to skiing.

I have mentioned Built Bars and a few of my friends have tried them to mixed reviews. However, if you haven't tried them, here's an offer I just received. First time buyers can try a FREE sample of 6 bars by using the following link:

They say to click the link and wait for the pop-up to accept the offer.

Built Bars have a consistency similar to a Milky Way and are very low calorie and low carb. They were a cornerstone of my weight loss. I suspect that this winter they will be my lunch on many ski days when I can't access the lodge.

You can't beat free so give them a try if you're interested.