• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
OK, I am intrigued. Can you break it down for me?

Eh, not really - the science is too up in the air. Rules of thumb seem to be
- use it or lose it
- it takes longer exposures than just showers
- want at least 10F below 'normal' but not to induce shivering

So, really at this point it's all about individual hacks. My hacks (low HR zone aerobics for an hour+ outdoors after dark, no hot water) seem to be doing something, and the proof is I was sweating just sitting at the office desk at 68F.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
- use it or lose it

So, really at this point it's all about individual hacks. My hacks (low HR zone aerobics for an hour+ outdoors after dark, no hot water) seem to be doing something, and the proof is I was sweating just sitting at the office desk at 68F.
With my hot flashes, this may be the best idea yet !

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
- use it or lose it

Hmm, so you are saying I should ski more and sometimes with my jacket unzipped?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Posting here for accountability is keeping me on track. Thank you all for that.

Slowly breaking the plateau I've been on. :yahoo:

Edit to add some details:
Sushi:
Phil and I went for sushi yesterday. I went on the app and counted all that I planned to eat ahead of time, including the Mochi at the end. I stuck with it and didn't eat any more than I planned. No sake. No whiskey night cap. Ended the day with 9 points left. Not hungry, and feeling good.
I've dropped from 149.something, to 146.6 today.
Hey that’s awesome Trish. I’ve gotten so much better at control and choices through the budget effect of tracking. It also motivates me to burn calories through conditioning so I can eat them back.

I’m down 13 over the last month which was too fast. I’m about to slow it down to a pound a week for the remaining 13.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey that’s awesome Trish. I’ve gotten so much better at control and choices through the budget effect of tracking. It also motivates me to burn calories through conditioning so I can eat them back.

I’m down 13 over the last month which was too fast. I’m about to slow it down to a pound a week for the remaining 13.
Right!!
I compete with myself on keeping my activity points high.
Keeps me moving.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m now down 14 with 12 to go and maybe losing at too fast a rate. That my sound like a good problem but losing too fast exacerbates muscle loss and creates more deprivation than necessary. Changing my eating regimen is great but also a pain as I’ll need to create new habits. Thursday should help but I’m upping my intake 500 calories a day.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This week could have potential to derail my efforts, but I was mindful of portions and actually weighed my Thanksgiving meal.
Even with the portion control, and counting/weighing/measuring I felt stuffed.
This is my 17 pt meal, 3 oz rack of lamb, 1 cup mashed potatoes with butter and milk. roasted carrots.
I also had some cherry cobbler a few hours later.
I never felt deprived and all in, I was down 1/2 lb this morning. :golfclap:
IMG_8769.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good job! I failed at portion control for sure so I’m back at it today.
I did break down and had some wine and a couple glasses of bourbon. Back at the no booze thing today.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I could have cheated more yesterday but I get obsessed. So I did two workouts that burned over 1000 cal ate almost nothing until dinner time and ate my way to metabolism but not over. So what if I went 1000 cal over it would take me two days to make that up. But as I say I get obsessed.

Trish maybe you win the award for best judgment. Nice job.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m now down 14 with 12 to go and maybe losing at too fast a rate. That my sound like a good problem but losing too fast exacerbates muscle loss and creates more deprivation than necessary. Changing my eating regimen is great but also a pain as I’ll need to create new habits. Thursday should help but I’m upping my intake 500 calories a day.
Wow good work. This is motivating me to do this program, as I really need to lose 20-25. Is your caloric intake -1000 cals in order to be losing that much fast?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow good work. This is motivating me to do this program, as I really need to lose 20-25. Is your caloric intake -1000 cals in order to be losing that much fast?
Thanks. MFP (My Fitness Pal) is as much about learning about exercise and nutrition as it is weight loss. In the beginning I was hungry but eventually I learned what to eat. I also learned about the calories we burn through exercise so I ramped up calorie burning that way. For each 500 calories we eat under metabolism we can anticipate a weight loss of 1 pound per week. My metabolism is around 2,600 calories before exercise which means I get 2,100 plus exercise, at my chosen loss rate. They have tools that make it simple to figure out what your metabolism is, albeit with some trial and error. Yours will likely be different than mine. They also have tools like bar code reading and database that simplify logging which is a necessary part of this.

Beyond weight loss, it's helping me learn a lifestyle. It keeps me in shape (I like eating exercise calories) and I can make choices without deprivation that enables both losing and maintaining.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This week could have potential to derail my efforts, but I was mindful of portions and actually weighed my Thanksgiving meal.
Even with the portion control, and counting/weighing/measuring I felt stuffed.
This is my 17 pt meal, 3 oz rack of lamb, 1 cup mashed potatoes with butter and milk. roasted carrots.
I also had some cherry cobbler a few hours later.
I never felt deprived and all in, I was down 1/2 lb this morning. :golfclap:
View attachment 149427
Being “Mindful” is a win in my book!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. MFP (My Fitness Pal) is as much about learning about exercise and nutrition as it is weight loss. In the beginning I was hungry but eventually I learned what to eat. I also learned about the calories we burn through exercise so I ramped up calorie burning that way. For each 500 calories we eat under metabolism we can anticipate a weight loss of 1 pound per week. My metabolism is around 2,600 calories before exercise which means I get 2,100 plus exercise, at my chosen loss rate. They have tools that make it simple to figure out what your metabolism is, albeit with some trial and error. Yours will likely be different than mine. They also have tools like bar code reading and database that simplify logging which is a necessary part of this.

Beyond weight loss, it's helping me learn a lifestyle. It keeps me in shape (I like eating exercise calories) and I can make choices without deprivation that enables both losing and maintaining.
When I started this thread it was because of this kind of fitness and food intake aspect that the WW app was teaching me.
I really liked the way I started to compete with myself on earning activity points and staying within my food points.

Its really cool how a variety of weight loss and fitness ideas and theories have been shared. I have not tried MFP but I'd absolutely consider it. For now WW is working for me

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I started this thread it was because of this kind of fitness and food intake aspect that the WW app was teaching me.
I really liked the way I started to compete with myself on earning activity points and staying within my food points.

Its really cool how a variety of weight loss and fitness ideas and theories have been shared. I have not tried MFP but I'd absolutely consider it. For now WW is working for me
I re-read this and want to clarify a bit.
Not that WW taught me about fitness, but the app made me more aware of what my actual portions were and keeping track of activities made me more aware of just what I was ( and was not) doing, and how much benefit I get from it.

Awareness and mindfullness

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many of you may be knowledgeable about BMI and it’s relevance but here’s a calculator with caveats. There are also interesting comments about normal versus overweight BMI-s.

The calculator doesn’t take everything into account. My plan is to have a more sophisticated test done when I reach current target.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back on March 29 of this year @Tricia asked "who's with me?" and I responded, I am in for 10 pounds
This has been a rough year and I've been hanging out around 10 lbs above my goald weight. The good news is, I've also started to see the 2 lb bounce about 2 lbs lower than it was a few months ago.

I gave myself a break while I was goign through breast cancer treatment, but now that my body has started to shed the side effects, its time to shed that last few lbs.

Who's with me?
Well I made it. I lost the 10 pounds. It took me eight months to do it but what the hey. My route to success was just smaller portions, cutting back on snacking, and working out more. Now comes the hard part, maintaining the new weight.
Kudos to @Trisha for the motivation.

Sponsor

Staff online