• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Back on March 29 of this year @Tricia asked "who's with me?" and I responded, I am in for 10 pounds

Well I made it. I lost the 10 pounds. It took me eight months to do it but what the hey. My route to success was just smaller portions, cutting back on snacking, and working out more. Now comes the hard part, maintaining the new weight.
Kudos to @Trisha for the motivation.
That is awesome! I've lost about 4 lbs and am hanging in there. Love to read when others have had such success.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
My dear gf had lost 35 lbs several years ago on WW, but gained it back and more over time. She recently got fed up and recommited to the program , and has lost 15 lbs. in a little under 3 months. As a bonus, her stamina has improved and she's seen a significant improvement in her blood pressure. I know how hard it is for her, and I'm proud of her dedication and perseverance.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm now down 18 with maybe 6 to go although I may decide another couple of pounds is enough. But my activity is restricted to walks right now after my ribs issue returned. I'm deciding between another rehab attempt or surgery. We'll see if I can lose or maintain with reduced activity.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Weighed in -20 this morning from when I started my current program two months ago. 4 to go. Last night someone dropped off a one pound box of Garden Gate chocolate covered toffee. Haven't opened it but looked at it a few times. Tick, tick, tic.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Weighed in -20 this morning from when I started my current program two months ago. 4 to go. Last night someone dropped off a one pound box of Garden Gate chocolate covered toffee. Haven't opened it but looked at it a few times. Tick, tick,
You probably should send that candy to me for your sake! What are friends for?

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ok...so I broke my Pelvis last Dec 2020. Gained a bunch of weight. I've been bike riding and now skiing 2-3x/week, but that hasn't really helped. Tried using MFP. Lost like 8 lbs, but gained it back over thanksgiving.

My biggest things seem to be snacks, and drinking 1-2/week.

Is WW going to be any different? My dad lost some weight on it, but it seems like it is very similar to counting calories on MFP. I'm wondering if I should just remove activity/exercise from MFP. I think maybe it is overcompensating for Biking and Skiing?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok...so I broke my Pelvis last Dec 2020. Gained a bunch of weight. I've been bike riding and now skiing 2-3x/week, but that hasn't really helped. Tried using MFP. Lost like 8 lbs, but gained it back over thanksgiving.

My biggest things seem to be snacks, and drinking 1-2/week.

Is WW going to be any different? My dad lost some weight on it, but it seems like it is very similar to counting calories on MFP. I'm wondering if I should just remove activity/exercise from MFP. I think maybe it is overcompensating for Biking and Skiing?
I think WW can help. Its about counting points and making sure that everything you put in your body is a healthy choice.
You can drink and indulge but count every point and stay within your daily alotment of points.

It has worked for me.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want to think about what this total inactivity is doing to my weight. No I am not overeating. In fact my biggest problem is nibbling at night which is completely impossible these days.

I have a protein shake for breakfast and a salad with protein, normally chicken, at lunch. Then dinner is generally protein plus a large serving of veggies. I try to allow myself one treat per day, ok maybe two occasionally. No sugary drinks, only water and unsweetened decaf ice tea.

I am also aware that I cannot starve myself and hope to heal. OTOH I don't want to come out of this with another 10 or more pounds to lose... again.

Surgeon did not have a step on scale which I could use to even take a guess at my weight.

Any suggestions regarding eating to heal but not to gain useless pounds?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
WW teaches you WHICH TYPE of calories are best for weight loss. Not all calories are created equal. Your body will use up calories from lean protein much faster than fats like bacon, same with fruits versus other sugars. I don’t include my activity in either WW or MFP. Activity provides bonus weight loss but can be a trap for eating or drinking more than I should. Sigh. It’s the holidays and I have crept back up.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want to think about what this total inactivity is doing to my weight. No I am not overeating. In fact my biggest problem is nibbling at night which is completely impossible these days.

I have a protein shake for breakfast and a salad with protein, normally chicken, at lunch. Then dinner is generally protein plus a large serving of veggies. I try to allow myself one treat per day, ok maybe two occasionally. No sugary drinks, only water and unsweetened decaf ice tea.

I am also aware that I cannot starve myself and hope to heal. OTOH I don't want to come out of this with another 10 or more pounds to lose... again.

Surgeon did not have a step on scale which I could use to even take a guess at my weight.

Any suggestions regarding eating to heal but not to gain useless pounds?
If it were me I'd be tracking calories and trying to figure out my metabolism, meaning what my body was burning in that situation. It takes some trial and error but it's the only way I'd know how stay at or achieve a certain weight.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WW teaches you WHICH TYPE of calories are best for weight loss. Not all calories are created equal. Your body will use up calories from lean protein much faster than fats like bacon, same with fruits versus other sugars. I don’t include my activity in either WW or MFP. Activity provides bonus weight loss but can be a trap for eating or drinking more than I should. Sigh. It’s the holidays and I have crept back up.

However you feel about activity, I never gain weight on ski trips. Of course I used to when said trip also included eating a buffet at Harrah's every couple of days. So there are limitations to everything.

You've got this. Just resolve to ski more and eat less after the holidays.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it were me I'd be tracking calories and trying to figure out my metabolism, meaning what my body was burning in that situation. It takes some trial and error but it's the only way I'd know how stay at or achieve a certain weight.

I do not intend to return to my pre-diet eating levels. I'm physically unable to do so. But how does one figure out their metabolism when they are unable to get on a scale? And how does one balance eating to heal vs eating just to eat or out of emotional turmoil?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I do not intend to return to my pre-diet eating levels. I'm physically unable to do so. But how does one figure out their metabolism when they are unable to get on a scale? And how does one balance eating to heal vs eating just to eat or out of emotional turmoil?

Technically speaking, if you're already following rules of thumb (like 0.36 g protein/lb body weight even in a calorie restricted state), and it sounds like you are, you're past the bro-science and into 'consult a nutritionist' territory.

That said, you're still like only a few weeks into recovery. It will get better.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The first stage in figuring out your metabolism doesn’t require a scale. You can use a calculator widely available online. It takes into account your beginning weight which you can approximate and your activity level which you know. It isn’t “bro” science, it’s math based on relevant metrics and can be verified with a myriad of credible medical and scientific online resources.

You won’t be able to circle back and see how accurate the metabolic estimation turned out to be if you can’t access a scale but a nutritionist won’t be able to do that without a scale either. Absent a weighing you’d be dealing with approximations but it is still a reasonable starting point. Again a little bit of looking online would confirm this.

Following through would require weighing foods Or at least knowing their weights. If any of these steps are impossible a professional makes sense but they’d also be guessing to some extent if the foregoing is unknown. And with anything medical today the Internet is your friend and a necessary resource that’s part of best practices medical care.

Last edited:

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
@skibum4ever - @cantunamunch 's suggestion of seeing a nutritionist and asking these questions is great. I doubt it would take more than 1-2 visits to put a plan together for you.

"In particular, calcium, vitamin D and protein will be important during the bone healing process, so be sure you're focusing on food sources rich in these nutrients, including dark, leafy greens, broccoli, fish, meat, yogurt, nuts and seeds."

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For now I am relying on my current history of healthy eating. After the first of the year I plan to consult a nutritionist, possibly at Hoag where I had the surgery, to discuss any changes I should make going into the future.

Sponsor

Staff online