• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I weighed in again 9am yesterday morning and had another good week. Down another 2.8. I’m in a pretty good groove now both diet and workout wise. I’m leaning heavily on the zero point foods which I think is huge for me. Workouts have been 6 days/week with around an hour of lifting, depending on what I working (legs, arms etc) and an hour of cardio. The cardio has been mainly on the treadmill, stepper or bike.

The Super Bowl today will hurt some but I’m going to save points all day and do a Sunday workout as soon as I hit post. I typically take Sundays as a rest day but I flipping that to Tuesday this week.
Wow 2 hrs. 6 days a week! That’s commitment, motivation, and determination.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow 2 hrs. 6 days a week! That’s commitment, motivation, and determination.
Thanks. I’ve been going to the gym on a regular basis for years now. The biggest difference is I’ve added a good bit more cardio in the last month or so. And of course gotten my diet in line. Working out obviously helps, but it’s very difficult to work out enough lose weight without changing your eating habits.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As we say the scale has a mind of it’s own. I felt like I had a great week eating right and if anything, got more exercise than I normally do since I got out some on my bike. Week’s results was I’m down 1.5 pounds. Not super but I’ll take it, it’s at least continuing the trend downward. This is definitely a journey and not a sprint.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
if anything, got more exercise than I normally do since I got out some on my bike. Week’s results was I’m down 1.5 pounds. Not super but I’ll take it, it’s at least continuing the trend downward. This is definitely a journey and not a sprint.

One of the measures of my success has been - lack of nipple chafe :geek::ogcool:

I'm sure you know circling Hains Point on bikes and skates flat out is a thing - and that the headwinds down there are probably the most vicious anywhere except maybe at the Cathedral. So, of course, everyone is as stretched out as low and as flat as they can possibly get.

Everyone beats on roadie jerseys for being sausage skins and an offense to fashion.

Except let me tell you wearing a t-shirt or an MTB jersey when you're low and stretched out for 20-30 headwind miles means wearing bandaids on the chest for a week. Especially when overweight.

So, yeh. Pain free windy Wednesday in a cheap Chinese jersey = massive success :D :D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Spinning out of control here. Bad habits, lack of substantial exercise. Over the last few months I've packed on about 15. Seems I like food better than being svelte! I'll get the Gathering out of the way and go from there.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had another solid result last week. Weighed a day earlier than usual on Friday because I was going to be out of town on the weekend and was down another 2.9. I had a good week both diet and workout wise. Im going to back the workout thing back this week though. My left knee, which is a mess, is having a tough time keeping up and is swollen some. Pretty sore too, but that’s about par for it.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, me too. I had 10K++ of climbing last week and three slush ski days - my left knee is on fire.
Sore knees and backs suck and it’s tough to be active if either hurts. That’s kinda the theory behind my madness here. That is, dropping weight and getting more fit as I age. The aging, I’m not as good at controlling lol. I definitely will be in better shape for next ski season and I need it badly. I’m a big guy and I’ve always handled my size well but this season I really feel the stress on my body. It’s either do something about it or slow down, so here we are.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sore knees and backs suck and it’s tough to be active if either hurts. That’s kinda the theory behind my madness here. That is, dropping weight and getting more fit as I age. The aging, I’m not as good at controlling lol. I definitely will be in better shape for next ski season and I need it badly. I’m a big guy and I’ve always handled my size well but this season I really feel the stress on my body. It’s either do something about it or slow down, so here we are.

This is my knee with the multiple MCL PCL issues; I didn't skate last season because smashed toes and ankle and the knee on the other leg absolutely needs that conditioning. Lying down in bed with the knee on it's side is painful to the point that I have a selection of medical gel pads to support it.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is my knee with the multiple MCL PCL issues; I didn't skate last season because smashed toes and ankle and the knee on the other leg absolutely needs that conditioning. Lying down in bed with the knee on it's side is painful to the point that I have a selection of medical gel pads to support it.
That blows to say the least. I’m sorry you have to deal with that situation and the pain that goes with it,

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not WW specific, but how do we deal with a plateau? Just keep doing what I’ve been doing and keep a happy thought? Or maybe I've achieved all I can with this and need to tweak something?

We gave up snacks, and record at least 10,000 steps a day - no other activity change, and we possibly eat a bit healthier, but no calorie counting/points/any specific diet. I'm now down 11 pounds since July 1st, but it seems like I’m hovering right there and not any lower. When we started, 10 pounds was my goal, but now I’d really like to get rid of four more.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not WW specific, but how do we deal with a plateau? Just keep doing what I’ve been doing and keep a happy thought? Or maybe I've achieved all I can with this and need to tweak something?

We gave up snacks, and record at least 10,000 steps a day - no other activity change, and we possibly eat a bit healthier, but no calorie counting/points/any specific diet. I'm now down 11 pounds since July 1st, but it seems like I’m hovering right there and not any lower. When we started, 10 pounds was my goal, but now I’d really like to get rid of four more.
I don’t know if alcohol is still part of your diet. WW allows it as does calorie counting as long as it’s tracked. However, I can’t break a plateau unless I give it up completely until I drop a couple more lbs.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t know if alcohol is still part of your diet. WW allows it as does calorie counting as long as it’s tracked. However, I can’t break a plateau unless I give it up completely until I drop a couple more lbs.
Occasionally, but not so much that giving it up would make a huge deal, I wouldn’t think. I mean, I have a drink less than once a week. But who knows?

Once you get through the plateau, do you add it back in?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Once through it, yes. But it doesn't sound like that would help in your case. This is going to sound crazy, but try a "cheat" meal once a week. You know something crazy like a cheeseburger! It lets your body know, it's not a starvation issue.

Alternatively, try all new recipes. It kicks your body back in to "oh this is new" mode. I recommend this site but check the calorie limit for the recipe; not all spas are weight conscious. spa recipes by top chefs

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once through it, yes. But it doesn't sound like that would help in your case. This is going to sound crazy, but try a "cheat" meal once a week. You know something crazy like a cheeseburger! It lets your body know, it's not a starvation issue.

Alternatively, try all new recipes. It kicks your body back in to "oh this is new" mode. I recommend this site but check the calorie limit for the recipe; not all spas are weight conscious. spa recipes by top chefs
Haha - cheat night was tonight. Pizza, but no wine.

New recipes would be good - we're in a rut. And maybe I’ve taken this as far as I can by making only easy changes. Probably need to change up the exercise a bit. My body is probably accustomed to this level now and needs a shock. Time to start booby-trapping the house with weights, with a rule that every time I pass one I have to do 10 curls or something like that.

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
I've taken a mix of cardio exercise (jogging, elliptical, jump rope - typically around 40-60 minutes a day) with a little bit of upper body weights combined with just more sensible portion size and eating.
Breakfast - Post Bran Shredded Wheat, Blueberries, Flax Seed, 2 spoons of Greek Yoghurt, and milk
Lunch - Baby Spinach, Tomatoes, Bell Pepper, Beetroot and either tuna or chicken with some low calorie dressing
Dinner - varies a bit more but usually salmon or chicken, plus vegetables

Once every week or two I'll eat out and so long as I am sensible on portion size then I don't worry too much on what I eat.

The nice thing with a jump rope is that it is fairly low impact, takes about 1-3 weeks to become proficient at the normal basic jump, and is something you can take with you when you are out and about.

Sponsor

Staff online