• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just logged back into my WW app and put my weight in. It said, "Who are you, chubby?". :ogbiggrin:
We're in it together, man.
I went to my surgeon for my annual check up yesterday and was pleased to be 148.3.
Two years ago I'd have been upset, but since treatment I've had a hard time staying under 150 so I'm glad to be on the right side of 150.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I just logged back into my WW app and put my weight in. It said, "Who are you, chubby?". :ogbiggrin:

Next week is week 12 of recomp. 5 lbs down total (not necessarily a good thing, was aiming for 0) but 36" waist -> 33".

At week 15 I'm cutting the protein down from 240g/day to a measly 150 - 170g. For the heat, which is already here.

Had a shoulder/rotator cuff incident on a jeep road last week so I'm actually really glad to still be on full protein while that gets better.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you said FU back you'd probably be like the 4 billionth person to have said that to their scale (or app). Ask me how I know.

I've actually been in maintenance since January. My weight is on target but it is kinda 5 days of good, 1 day of cheat, 5 days of good, but so far it seems to work. The cool thing is if you can keep your weight the same during maintenance and do resistance training, your waist keeps shrinking while weight transitions to muscle.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had a few days of eating badly because of various activities where eating what's available is the only option.
Between Friday night and Saturday night I had a total of three burgers. Normally I do better when I only eat red meat occasionally.
I was kinda scared that I was back up but was pleasantly surprised to see the scale only up 1/2 lb.
Maybe the difference for me is that I drank tons of water and only had a few small cocktails in that same period of time.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Time for a check in for me and a little bit of an update on some things that have been effecting my overall health and well being.

I've been struggling with hot flashes and other hormonal issues since going through breast cancer treatement two years ago, and I've been suspicious that it was a big stumbling block for my weight issues.

Two weeks ago Phil was running an errand and arrived back at home to find me in a state of confusion, memory loss and a hot mess. He called a friend for advice, @margaritamarcia, who told him to get me to the ER immediately.
I was admitted and spent two full days in the hospital with a variety of tests.
CT Scan, MRI, EEG, EKG, and eventually a 5 hr glucose tolerance test.

It seems that I had a massive glucose spike and crash. I have known that I'm hypoglycemic since I was 19 but have gotten super lazy about how I manage it. We have no idea what my glucose levels were at the time of my "episode", but we are pretty sure it was drastic. We think (based on evidence because no one was here but Gypsy and she's not talking) that I had a seizure of some kind because I bit tongue hard enough that it was punctured.

As the doctor said, "my hormone leves are in an intersting state and insuline is, after all, a hormone.
I have an appointment to see an endocrinologist to see if I can get my hormone levels figured out and I've cut a lot of stuff out of my daily consumption.
No simple sugars at all, no white bread, no pasta, no juices.

I'm feeling pretty good and thinking that this may be a turning point.
It's been an intersting couple weeks.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know you're not the squeamish type--please start testing your blood sugar at home. I've gotten my sugars well under control in the optimal range from being pre-diabetic. Nutrition was key for that. Both of my parents had high blood sugar as they got older. Yet even so I get lazy about it.

You got a good start on it cutting the juices and overly processed starches. Fruit is probably ok in limited quantities, that's got vitamins and other good stuff, like fiber.

While you've been hypoglycemic in younger years, who knows happens when you get older having a condition like that. Does body achieve a kind of normalcy, a rapprochement between too little and too much? Hyperglycemic (i.e. blood sugar too high)?

I suspect you know your body pretty well--just take care of yourself!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know you're not the squeamish type--please start testing your blood sugar at home. I've gotten my sugars well under control in the optimal range from being pre-diabetic. Nutrition was key for that. Both of my parents had high blood sugar as they got older. Yet even so I get lazy about it.

You got a good start on it cutting the juices and overly processed starches. Fruit is probably ok in limited quantities, that's got vitamins and other good stuff, like fiber.

While you've been hypoglycemic in younger years, who knows happens when you get older having a condition like that. Does body achieve a kind of normalcy, a rapprochement between too little and too much? Hyperglycemic (i.e. blood sugar too high)?

I suspect you know your body pretty well--just take care of yourself!
I have a family history of diabetes, so my knowledge of my hypoglycemia since I was 19 was kind of key. The sad thing is that I got really lazy about it.

There are some key things that lead to the seizure I had a few weeks ago. I was craving grapefruit juice (not sure why) among other things.

I've been using a glucometer to track how everything is effecting my levels.
I have not had any simple sugars for two weeks, so that is off the table, but white bread of any kind puts me in a spike.
Yesterday we went for chinese food. I tested before and after having rice. That went well with only a slight change.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Holy moly, what a scare! The hormones all interplay with each other, too, and estrogen has a huge effect on the body's ability to process carbohydrates. I've become much more sensitive to simple carbs as I age, and cannot eat dinner later than about 6:00 or I can't sleep. Balancing the hormones can be a long process but hopefully you'll start to get some relief as you go down that path.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Holy moly, what a scare! The hormones all interplay with each other, too, and estrogen has a huge effect on the body's ability to process carbohydrates. I've become much more sensitive to simple carbs as I age, and cannot eat dinner later than about 6:00 or I can't sleep. Balancing the hormones can be a long process but hopefully you'll start to get some relief as you go down that path.

Simple carbs and simple sugars have had a negative impact on me for a long time, but the effects I've felt recently have been extreme by comparison.
I'm really not sure why I was going through a craving of juices and sugars, but I'm definitley aware of it now.

What's really embarrassing is that I know better and I didn't do what I know I should have.
And the WW plan is great for glucose if I was actually doing the program faithfully.
I feel kinda dumb. :doh:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh my goodness! That sounds terrifying! I’m glad to hear you are on the other side.

I wasn't terrified, mostly because I had no idea what was happening. @Philpug, on the other hand.... I think he was pretty concerned.

Yikes! Hope you get things stabilized soon.
I'm feeling much better and happy that I know what's going on. Being aware is half the battle.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Time for a check in for me and a little bit of an update on some things that have been effecting my overall health and well being.

I've been struggling with hot flashes and other hormonal issues since going through breast cancer treatement two years ago, and I've been suspicious that it was a big stumbling block for my weight issues.

Two weeks ago Phil was running an errand and arrived back at home to find me in a state of confusion, memory loss and a hot mess. He called a friend for advice, @margaritamarcia, who told him to get me to the ER immediately.
I was admitted and spent two full days in the hospital with a variety of tests.
CT Scan, MRI, EEG, EKG, and eventually a 5 hr glucose tolerance test.

It seems that I had a massive glucose spike and crash. I have known that I'm hypoglycemic since I was 19 but have gotten super lazy about how I manage it. We have no idea what my glucose levels were at the time of my "episode", but we are pretty sure it was drastic. We think (based on evidence because no one was here but Gypsy and she's not talking) that I had a seizure of some kind because I bit tongue hard enough that it was punctured.

As the doctor said, "my hormone leves are in an intersting state and insuline is, after all, a hormone.
I have an appointment to see an endocrinologist to see if I can get my hormone levels figured out and I've cut a lot of stuff out of my daily consumption.
No simple sugars at all, no white bread, no pasta, no juices.

I'm feeling pretty good and thinking that this may be a turning point.
It's been an intersting couple weeks.
Cutting carbs is a really good thing. It helped me lose about 20 lbs in 2 years, and I've been staying at this weird for 4 years, without any dieting, ie calorie restriction.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Simple carbs and simple sugars have had a negative impact on me for a long time, but the effects I've felt recently have been extreme by comparison.
I'm really not sure why I was going through a craving of juices and sugars, but I'm definitley aware of it now.

What's really embarrassing is that I know better and I didn't do what I know I should have.
And the WW plan is great for glucose if I was actually doing the program faithfully.
I feel kinda dumb. :doh:
Don’t feel dumb!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cutting carbs is a really good thing. It helped me lose about 20 lbs in 2 years, and I've been staying at this weird for 4 years, without any dieting, ie calorie restriction.
I find that following WW closely rewards me when I don't eat carbs, specifically gluten laden carbs. I'm not gluten intolerant at all, but simple carbs and high gluten things just don't make sense for me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
More updates.
When you're closely watching glucose levels you get an idea of just how much little things in your daily diet effect you.
I have had stayed away from simple sugars and simple carbs, and my weight has stayed lower than it had been.
Yesterday I had pizza and didn't seem to feel bad at all, but I was also cautious to not go overboard. This morning my glucose was 72 which is lower than it has been (usually in the mid to high 90's) and my weight was up 4 lbs from where it was yesterday.

I find the fluctuation of my glucose in relation to my weight is verrrrry interesting.

*Even though the general healthy range of glucose is between 60-140, the doctor wants me to keep it tighter between 70-130, especially on the low side because the concern is more about the low numbers in my case.*

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still want to know how you can eat something that weighs 1/4 pound and gain 4! One freakin' Snickers bar and you're up 2. It's just not fair.
Right!!??

Sponsor