• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weird Zip Tie-like Snow "Chains"

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Has anybody ever seen or used these? I am pretty skeptical. But I am also intrigued by how easy these would be to install. I've not put chains on in years. I prefer 4wd and appropriate tires. But the "outside the box" fan in me is curious.

Here is one example. There seem to be many. Quality and durability probably vary greatly.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Has anybody ever seen or used these? I am pretty skeptical. But I am also intrigued by how easy these would be to install. I've not put chains on in years. I prefer 4wd and appropriate tires. But the "outside the box" fan in me is curious.

Here is one example. There seem to be many. Quality and durability probably vary greatly.

"Jeremywell" :roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao:That's a Top-Gear/Great Tour joke, right?

If I had to invent a name for a Clarkson jury-rig I could NOT do better than that.

Sure those won't get driven on semi-dry pavement in the cold. Sure those best-case-nylon but probably cheaper ratchets won't snap with cold and road vibrations.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

won't get you pass Caltrans/CHP chain controls....they like posting the more egregious violations:

To be honest, once you upgrade to "better" chains; they are much less hassle than putting these on, let alone how you take them off.

These you would having to reach back like 5-6 times; versus if you finally learn how to put on modern easy-to-use chains, it's only 1 connection on top-pushed to behind the tire, then 2 in front.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you're looking for chains, and you're looking to step up from the cheapest:
Look for auto-centering/auto-tensioning where you can put them on without moving your car.

Pros and cons on possible that the mechanism may get damaged; but for ease of use, the auto-trac chains is sort of a sweet-spot suggestion.

The Konig (previous Thule) style is pretty similar in the ease to install, but probably a bit more premium option, with less chance of mechanism failure, an option if you know for sure they will be put in service more.

heres a comparo from some guy who is rushing and not laying the chains out flat, but still gets them on pretty easily:

Last edited:
TS
skibob

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not really looking for them. I have chains that I will almost certainly never put on. Winter Hybrids on AWD have gotten me into and out of everything Tahoe can throw at you w/o any drama. I just came across these at random and thought if they actually work, they could be one of those things to store in the emergency kit along with the mylar blankets and lifestraw. If they actually work. Like I said, I am skeptical. But wanted to mine the braintrust that is skitalk.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If they actually work. Like I said, I am skeptical. But wanted to mine the braintrust that is skitalk.

I can see them being sort-of-useful in VT in early April - like when a passenger vehicle bogs down in a mud hole 20 feet from paved road and there's no one about with a tow strap. For actual snow...not taking a flyer.

TS
skibob

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can see them being sort-of-useful in VT in early April - like when a passenger vehicle bogs down in a mud hole 20 feet from paved road and there's no one about with a tow strap. For actual snow...not taking a flyer.
That is actually exactly what I was thinking. Pity the poor soul who has to put them on though, lol.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not really looking for them. I have chains that I will almost certainly never put on. Winter Hybrids on AWD have gotten me into and out of everything Tahoe can throw at you w/o any drama. I just came across these at random and thought if they actually work, they could be one of those things to store in the emergency kit along with the mylar blankets and lifestraw. If they actually work. Like I said, I am skeptical. But wanted to mine the braintrust that is skitalk.
I think if you just take a look at the reviews from ppl who actually deployed them vs hypothetical prepper users, they are many 1stars; they break off within like 1mile, and/or cause tire/sidewall damage.
Even the twitter above, the CHP said that guy with the zip ties, the other ties all broke off within 1 mile.

I think you need to step up and get what you pay for. I think the draw is these are just easier to comprehend than chains even though are far worse and not really easier to put on.
I would suggest, if it's really snow traction device the auto-sock is better easy-to-understand emergency thing.

Or for emergency kit, escape traction pads/mats +shovel+tow strap/towrope (andconnectors) would be better expenditure for the kit. Also, this is self-congratulating, because that's what I bought and carry.

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The zip tie ones are useless and super fragile, and if you have steel wheels, not made for them either.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're looking for chains, and you're looking to step up from the cheapest:
Look for auto-centering/auto-tensioning where you can put them on without moving your car.

Pros and cons on possible that the mechanism may get damaged; but for ease of use, the auto-trac chains is sort of a sweet-spot suggestion.

The Konig (previous Thule) style is pretty similar in the ease to install, but probably a bit more premium option, with less chance of mechanism failure, an option if you know for sure they will be put in service more.

heres a comparo from some guy who is rushing and not laying the chains out flat, but still gets them on pretty easily:
The auto-tracs, there is a specific orientation of which way you swing around the chain from the back of the tire.

I forget which side does which, but it does matter, as do it wrong, and the locking lever will be facing the tire!! which can be a pain to release the lever when you want to remove it.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chains are only truly needed where legally required or for unplowed / unmaintained roads, with deep snow, e.g. winter trail head access and stuff like that.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
My RAV 4 (AWDi) hybrid is non-chainable (is that a word btw?)...so I have to rely on the winter tyres and AWD to get past snow conditions. I asked for as sculpted as possible winter (snow-M+S) tyres to be mounted; I have fond memories of my Jeep BFGoodrich M+S tyres. Alas, since it is a leased car, I cannot choose the make and model and have to do with what is being provided. In this case Michelin winter tyres.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
These were actually good. Real easy to use and gave decent amount of grip. They were only ment for getting up that last tricky climb, not for long time or high speed use.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Konig CB-12 (cheapest Konig) for my Accord Hybrid. I bought them on the spot at Ski Dazzle in LA from Jason at Rack N Road because he had his car at the booth let me try them out first. I was super impressed with how fast they are to put on once you get the hang of it. However, I would practice a couple of times before trying to install them on the side of the road somewhere. Note: they are loud with lots of vibration once you hit clear pavement, so you’ll want to take them off quickly!

If I needed chains more often, I might upgrade to a nicer, self tightening one, but for my use case (once or twice a year) $80 to stay safe is a bargain.

Last season we were heading up to Baldy after a pretty big storm & CHP had chain control set up just before the village. Dozens of cars were backed up on the side of the road & parking lot & some people where getting out seemingly very difficult to use yellow and black cable chains. It was a scene of frustration & stress.

We pulled over, put the Konig chains on in a little over 5 minutes and drove past 30 or more cars still trying to put on their chains as CHP waved us through. It was one of those “now THAT was a really smart purchase” moments and we got to ski deep, albeit heavy powder with few people around.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
^^^ Even better, manyyears ago in the Dolomites, during a Saturday (change day for weekly vacationers) with heavy snowfall, one look at our jeep equipped with BFGoodrich tyres was all that took to the policemen to wave us through. To be honest, I had a set of snowchains on board...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How long do Snowsocks last? Would you drive more than a mile or two in them? Any reason to have both Snowsocks and chains in your car? I watched the install video and am intrigued.
The autosocks if I read the reviews right, give you useful service for maybe 50miles before they get pretty worn out; with partial degradation along the way; which is enough for several usages and not just disposable. I think in comparison, chains usually may last 200-500miles (depending on quality and if it's a cable or actual link chain).

If you are the mindset to want backup systems; go for it.

But I don't think it makes sense to buy both, as the autosocks are quite expensive. Instead, if you're set to spend that amount of money on a set of chains+socks, you might as well just jump up and buy more expensive/fancier set of chains that will last you longer and be more robust.

Last edited: