• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Weird Zip Tie-like Snow "Chains"

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
won't get you pass Caltrans/CHP chain controls....they like posting the more egregious violations:

To be honest, once you upgrade to "better" chains; they are much less hassle than putting these on, let alone how you take them off.

These you would having to reach back like 5-6 times; versus if you finally learn how to put on modern easy-to-use chains, it's only 1 connection on top-pushed to behind the tire, then 2 in front.
Yer gonna die!!

To be fair, the device/product is not typical "Zip Ties". And the CHP photos are not of the actual product but DIY efforts to try something similar.

Would I pack them instead of socks or Z-Cables for a known chain law area? Nope. But I've not seen anything that show the actual product instead of hardware store zip ties as being not considered acceptable. If you clipped off the loose ends it wouldn't look like a zip tie.

1642529619849.png

Yer gonna die!!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I get your point but it's the other way around though. The traction device needs to be on an accepted list in CA. Versus you get to use any definition of "traction device" to pass until it gets "blacklisted".

Yes the CHP posts are only of the most egregious examples of DIY solutions, but they turn around these other commercial devices too which I remember they mention in their comments on their tweets/posts.
It's less about you're gonna die, it's more they gonna turn you around or give you a ticket if they find you stuck.

Even the autosock took a lot of time before CHP approved them, and they turned around people with autosocks for several years, even though they are now accepted.

If you are getting these for your own piece of mind; and not to satisfy the nanny state requirements, go for it though. I just don't think they will work well given the reviews.

Here's the document from CHP stored at autosock with CHP's statement on approved device with pictures:
https://autosock.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CHPTraction.pdf

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My RAV 4 (AWDi) hybrid is non-chainable (is that a word btw?)...so I have to rely on the winter tyres and AWD to get past snow conditions. I asked for as sculpted as possible winter (snow-M+S) tyres to be mounted; I have fond memories of my Jeep BFGoodrich M+S tyres. Alas, since it is a leased car, I cannot choose the make and model and have to do with what is being provided. In this case Michelin winter tyres.
Toyotas can use chains. You have to follow the dimensions specified in the owner's manual. Usually, it's less than 10mm thick on the inside wheel face, which can limit you considerably to the chains that are compatible. You can always get chains that don't mount to the rear, like Konig K-summit, but they are quite pricey.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I personal have the Peerless chains, easy to put on and they work, Only have them for the drive wheels (no mountain issues where I live).

Are the heavy duty, no, but when need get you out if you are not stupid.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Toyotas can use chains. You have to follow the dimensions specified in the owner's manual. Usually, it's less than 10mm thick on the inside wheel face, which can limit you considerably to the chains that are compatible. You can always get chains that don't mount to the rear, like Konig K-summit, but they are quite pricey.
I asked Toyota Italy and a couple of indipendent tyres dealers, given the model (hybrid) and the wheel and tyre size mounted, the "non-chainable" was their answer. That was back in December when I first got the car, I was due to leave in a couple of days for the mountains and the car came with..summer tyres mounted! It was a crazy rush to find a dealer who still had some winter tyres, corresponding to the leasing company specifications, and who could mount me those in a hurry...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some Toyotas say no-chains in the manual, but I think in practice the clearances are not literally so tight that you can't fit a few mm of chain. So I question whether the reason really is about clearance, or is it about should the chain fail, it would result in catastrophic damage that would be a safety issue.

So winter tires are a good idea, Or the autosock as we discussed here. I don't know exactly where the autosocks lie in traction improvement vs winters. There was a ConsumerReports test puts them about the same as new winter tire, so might only be a small improvement if you're already on true winter tires.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some Toyotas say no-chains in the manual, but I think in practice the clearances are not literally so tight that you can't fit a few mm of chain. So I question whether the reason really is about clearance, or is it about should the chain fail, it would result in catastrophic damage that would be a safety issue.

So winter tires are a good idea, Or the autosock as we discussed here. I don't know exactly where the autosocks lie in traction improvement vs winters. There was a ConsumerReports test puts them about the same as new winter tire, so might only be a small improvement if you're already on true winter tires.
Here's one of my old cars, with a wheel-tire combination VW says it cannot be used with chains, with a lowered suspension also.

4664DD07-3E05-4AAE-A22F-170B6F47EC66_zpsbogbjrnx by thisistan, on Flickr

8D1626A5-8E61-4415-8BB8-BB389B649982_zpswimatpxd by thisistan, on Flickr

It's a chain that I mentioned earlier.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I asked Toyota Italy and a couple of indipendent tyres dealers, given the model (hybrid) and the wheel and tyre size mounted, the "non-chainable" was their answer. That was back in December when I first got the car, I was due to leave in a couple of days for the mountains and the car came with..summer tyres mounted! It was a crazy rush to find a dealer who still had some winter tyres, corresponding to the leasing company specifications, and who could mount me those in a hurry...
Since the RAV4-hybrid has only been around in the last 2 generations... they can use chains. The restriction is the side that contacts the tire can not exceed 10mm thick.

So, Konig (which is an Italian company) has some chains that fit, Easy-Fit, K-summit, and I think they have a new 9mm chain (XG Cross).

Cables are not as popular in Europe like chains. I have them for my Highlander Hybrid (which has the same chain requirements as the RAV4), with 20" wheels

SZ-435 235-55-20 by thisistan, on Flickr

James

Out There
Instructor
Do people use chains on all four wheels for awd?
Yer gonna die!!

To be fair, the device/product is not typical "Zip Ties". And the CHP photos are not of the actual product but DIY efforts to try something similar.

Would I pack them instead of socks or Z-Cables for a known chain law area? Nope. But I've not seen anything that show the actual product instead of hardware store zip ties as being not considered acceptable. If you clipped off the loose ends it wouldn't look like a zip tie.

View attachment 155706
Yer gonna die!!

Those are the ones in thst guy’s video. Didn’t make it 40 feet.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here in NZ, not typically. Mostly only on the front tyres. I have met someone who carries two sets of chains in case he felt the conditions were really marginal and he decided to put chains on all four tyres.

NZ chain lore is quite different to the rest of the world though. With no winter tyres (so you cannot rely on the tyres to be the traction device) and fairly sketchy ski roads which are owned and managed by the ski resorts, the ski resorts are the ones who control access to their roads and they are all fairly conservative about chains. Any regular skier will carry chains/cables here, whether they have 2WD or AWD, just because sometimes it's unavoidable.

AWD don't need to put on chains nearly as often as 2WD, of course!

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier

It is not widely known but, probably known to the "hardcore" 4x4 people but not to the wide numbers of AWDs/SUVs owners, meseems to recall it is mandatory here in Italy.
Need to re-check this.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends on the awd system and manufacturer recommendations due to things like suspension clearance.

Subarus are front wheels only.
Front drive-biased AWD is front wheels
Rear drive biased AWD is rear wheels.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I think usually no as AWD is usually just biased towards 1 set of drive wheels and will say in the owners manual what to chain up.
if the concern is about tire even-ness or the locked differentials , the reason you're on chains is you're on ice/and snow so there's going to be lots of slip and play all around anyway, so you're not really burning out tires or differential when only 1 axle is chained up..

I do see some conservative old timers do it, more out of stubbornness/practicality where they will grumble something like "metal beats rubber on ice every time, safety first " under their breath.
And of course the heavy equipment like the plow trucks and loaders that are working the snow got all wheels chained up.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Screenshot_20220119-205343_Google.jpg

My old stand bys. Ice breaker,cam locks. Chaining the front drive axle has better traction than Chaining the rear axle.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
won't get you pass Caltrans/CHP chain controls....they like posting the more egregious violations:

To be honest, once you upgrade to "better" chains; they are much less hassle than putting these on, let alone how you take them off.

These you would having to reach back like 5-6 times; versus if you finally learn how to put on modern easy-to-use chains, it's only 1 connection on top-pushed to behind the tire, then 2 in front.
That is great. Tie some clothesline rope around the tire or attach one orange zip tie.