• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ski there one of those days when West or East Face wet slid across the Mountain Run. Fun fun fun.

End of the 2012 season. West face slid to the ground. Totally blocked High Road.

Same season. Skied Poulsen's Gully after it slid. Looked like jumbled office furniture. Steel desk and filing cabinets. All jagged corners. Not fun.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Anyone ski there one of those days when West or East Face wet slid across the Mountain Run. Fun fun fun.

End of the 2012 season. West face slid to the ground. Totally blocked High Road.
Thought I had a photo of it crossing the run but this another huge March crown face from Palisades (which could mean Chimney chute or anywhere in the ski area above Olympic Valley :huh:)...
Chimney Break 3-2-19.jpg

GoingLeft

...then right, then left, then right.....
Skier
Thought I had a photo of it crossing the run but this another huge March crown face from Palisades (which could mean Chimney chute or anywhere in the ski area above Olympic Valley :huh:)...
Nice photo! That area is now called "Squaw"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Same season. Skied Poulsen's Gully after it slid. Looked like jumbled office furniture. Steel desk and filing cabinets. All jagged corners. Not fun.
Skiing avalanche debris is no fun

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I ski Squaw a lot but don’t know what the h*** to call the place. Have we settled on anything here ?

So now that the B to B gondola is up and running is the whole place called Palisades Tahoe? Or is that just the side formerly known as Squaw ? ? ? . How do we differentiate this side from the Alpine Meadows side? I’ve only skied it for 40 years.
Signed “Confused”

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski Squaw a lot but don’t know what the h*** to call the place. Have we settled on anything here ?

So now that the B to B gondola is up and running is the whole place called Palisades Tahoe? Or is that just the side formerly known as Squaw ? ? ? . How do we differentiate this side from the Alpine Meadows side? I’ve only skied it for 40 years.
Signed “Confused”
Ha, I think just like most things on the mtn there are several names and you'll have to pick it up by context.

I think though they weren't pushing so hard to be sticklers on new names, just as long as they get away from the old one and pivot based on user acceptance.
Based on the ops tweets as well as the app name changes though, seems like "Olympic" or "village" is somewhat abandoned and the community is settling in on Palisades side and Alpine side.

Even though there are 2 ski runs already named Palisade, and the resort as a whole is Palisades Tahoe, you'll have to figure it out by context

It's a little like how people figure out "gold coast" in conversation could actually mean the lift station, the lodge that has the ARC, or the named run.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose is closed today. Rolling over, going back to sleep.