• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It changed this year (or maybe last year) now it's Lake Michigan Credit Union ballpark - LMCU for short. Even klunkier.
Can’t we stay away from corporate names on stadia? What if they were to change Wrigley Field to something commercial?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At least Fresno was smart enough to go with FAX (Fresno Area Express) vs following other areas like BART (Bay Area Rapit Transit) for their public transportation system.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
At least Fresno was smart enough to go with FAX (Fresno Area Express) vs following other areas like BART (Bay Area Rapit Transit) for their public transportation system.
Yeah but these guys weren't

Of course there could be some meta self awareness gag going on here.....

James

Out There
Instructor
Can’t we stay away from corporate names on stadia? What if they were to change Wrigley Field to something commercial?
Well, your beloved Wrigley is totally commercial.
———————-
In 1927, the name became Wrigley Field to promote the chewing gum company, Wrigley.
———————-

But no, doesn’t look like we can stop it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I went to a high school named after our town, Aldershot. For some reason they were quite insistent that is was a high school, not a secondary school.
When the family moved, I transferred to Westdale Secondary School. There weren't any asses their either.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, your beloved Wrigley is totally commercial.
———————-
In 1927, the name became Wrigley Field to promote the chewing gum company, Wrigley.
———————-

But no, doesn’t look like we can stop it.
Yeah...that was my point.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah...that was my point.
Now, what about Fenway? (Fenway Realty)
If we eliminate those two, were left with six I think-
Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Kauffman Stadium (Kansas City), Nationals Park, Camden Yards (Baltimore), Yankee Stadium.

Which begs the question, should Squaw have sold the naming rights?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"At least Fresno was smart enough to go with FAX (Fresno Area Express) vs following other areas like BART (Bay Area Rapit Transit) for their public transportation system".

hold my beer....:beercheer:

what about TART (Tahoe Area Regional Transport) for the Tahoe bus system....means it is perfectly acceptable here to go out and wait for a TART...ogsmile

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Gee…I don’t know how to break this to you but the feeling was KT was disrespectful to Kate Hudson (some of her friends call her Katie). So they’re planning a name change. Right now the leading candidate is No Offense Intended.
Personally, since KT stands for Kick Turn, and I can't do one, I'm offended!!!

:ogbiggrin:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, since KT stands for Kick Turn, and I can't do one, I'm offended!!!

:ogbiggrin:
Let alone 22! Just thinking about a kick turn hurts my knees.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, what about Fenway? (Fenway Realty)
If we eliminate those two, were left with six I think-
Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Kauffman Stadium (Kansas City), Nationals Park, Camden Yards (Baltimore), Yankee Stadium.

Which begs the question, should Squaw have sold the naming rights?
I remember watching the Astros play at Enron Field. Somehow the sign stealing scandal has to be related. As far as I know, the name Fenway derives from what was once swampland in the area. But of all the names of stadia I would hope Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park would be the last to change. It would be like Nabisco Stonehenge. Or Progressive Insurance Louvre.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It’s a good solution, palisades is iconic, but can’t just call it palisades because there is a much bigger badder mountain further south in the high sierra that already has that name. So Palisades Tahoe. Now ski :)

James

Out There
Instructor
As far as I know, the name Fenway derives from what was once swampland in the area.
Not that simple. It’s kind of the first, 1912.
——————————-
In naming the Red Sox’ new home Fenway Park, Taylor gave his Fenway Realty Company free name recognition. Still, when asked if he was shamelessly plugging his own company in the naming of a baseball team’s new stadium, the outgoing owner had a readymade response.

He declared it was named Fenway, “because [the park’s] in the Fenway, isn’t it?”
———————-

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not that simple. It’s kind of the first, 1912.
——————————-
In naming the Red Sox’ new home Fenway Park, Taylor gave his Fenway Realty Company free name recognition. Still, when asked if he was shamelessly plugging his own company in the naming of a baseball team’s new stadium, the outgoing owner had a readymade response.

He declared it was named Fenway, “because [the park’s] in the Fenway, isn’t it?”
———————-
Well doesn’t that establish the original source as the Fenway swamp? What developer doesn’t want to sell a swamp as something else?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OpenSnow has updated for the new name... sort of. Here's what I see in my Favorites list now:

1632096114853.png

Though I really think they both should be Palisades Tahoe.... maybe "Palisades Tahoe - Olympic Valley", and "Palisades Tahoe - Alpine Meadows".

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Though I really think they both should be Palisades Tahoe.... maybe "Palisades Tahoe - Olympic Valley", and "Palisades Tahoe - Alpine Meadows".
How about Alpine Meadows at Palisades Tahoe?

Sponsor

Staff online