• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@GoingLeft I kind of agree with you about the logo looking more corporate.
IMHO They should have maintained a logo that resembled the old logo, even though they clearly needed to change the name.
I think they could have used their new eagle logo but instead of orange & navy, use two-tone blue from the old logo....would've tied the old with the new together nicely, IMHO.

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago I had a friend visiting who grew up and lived in the San Diego area. We were driving around Connecticut and Massachusetts. He was looking at a map and says, “The names of paces here are a interesting. We don’t have anything like them in California. They’re boring.” He was talking about the names based on Indian words.
But if 1 was such a big deal just call it Lift 1.
Some place in California should call a gondola HAL.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
talking about the names based on Indian words.
But if 1 was such a big deal just call it Lift 1.

All the lifts at TSV are numbered with the exception of the Kachina Peak Lift. Marketing.

GoingLeft

...then right, then left, then right.....
Skier
Lifts at Mammoth are numbered. Meet you at 23!
A bit interesting how the runs off of Squaw's Shirley chair have names officially but many just refer to them by number (Trees 1 - 5). And I use 0 to refer to lookers right of chair and 6 for lookers left of 5.
I actually like the chair renaming from "Squaw One" and "Squaw Creek" to "Wa She Shu" and "Resort Creek" because it's easier to differentiate them verbally....although is Wa She Shu going to be easy to remember? I had to just go refer to the photo above.

Regardless of ones thoughts on the name changes, in practice, how many are going to use the new names vs old names?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think real world adoption will happen relatively fast.

A factors is because much more digital usage vs knowlege passing by word of mouth.

People who come ski will plan or look up maps before or afterward more than before computers.
Those that like to do Stats will see new name in the App stats.
At Alpine, People got used to calling hotter wheels TLC /Treeline by now.

I think The shirley runs still being referred by number is a different situation, because they are all so similar, they arent really very distinguishable / memorable so might as well just number them to avoid confusion.

A lift is a different scenario, it's not like there are 6 lifts running parallel to each other.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...use two-tone blue from the old logo...
You know, despite having been there on two trips in the last few years, and having visited the website numerous times (100?) I couldn't have told you what colors either SV or AM used in their logos/branding.

although is Wa She Shu going to be easy to remember?
My guess is that it will just be called "Wa". "Meet you at 10:30 at Wa."

GoingLeft

Skier
Waaaasup Wa! Wa was pretty popular last year due to Covid.

But what about Squaw vs Palisades? Though everyone's talking about it here in Tahoe, no one's calling it by its new corporate name. That's still going to be the cliffs where the VORAD radar is.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Though everyone's talking about it here in Tahoe, no one's calling it by its new corporate name.
That will likely take a while - inertia is pretty powerful... an example: some people still refer to going to "MJ" in Colorado rather Winter Park (which Mary Jane is now just one section of). But I'd guess this one may change faster due to the reasons for the change? Total wild guess though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's still going to be the cliffs where the VORAD radar is.
I think the name clash is an issue. Palisades Tahoe already had a section called Palisades. Well, two I guess, though the "other" one at Alpine isn't as famous.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the name clash is an issue.
It feels like maybe it is... but based on context, I'm having trouble seeing it as much of an issue. I suppose I could see someone on here posting that "they skied at Palisades" and someone questioning whether they meant the resort, or the area... but that seems super infrequent. Same thing if you were, say, talking to someone in a bar or something.

I suppose that is a small issue, but one that seems easily overcome. I guess the company didn't think it was a big enough one to shift to another name... but I always wonder what else they may have considered in cases like this.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
But what about Squaw vs Palisades? Though everyone's talking about it here in Tahoe, no one's calling it by its new corporate name.
No one? Wow. I know if I lived there I'd scrupulous try to avoid the old name. Really everyone who talks about it uses the old name? That's f'd up if true.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
No one? Wow. I know if I lived there I'd scrupulous try to avoid the old name. Really everyone who talks about it uses the old name? That's f'd up if true.
I was talking to someone yesterday with a family cabin 5 minutes from the entrance who didn't even know it was renamed. I typed this message out originally "5 minutes from the entrance of OLD NAME" without even thinking. It's a hard habit to break for people who only know the old name as a good things with tons of memory at the place. It didn't help they replaced an easy to say one syllable name with a 4 syllable one. It has to be a conscious decision to say the new name every single time which is hard for many. I've even talked to people who know it was renamed but don't know why. I'd say probably 95% of people I know (in person, not on a ski forum) had no idea it was derogatory until the official new name came out. The name change was a good and needed thing, but it's not simple or easy and many people will continue to say the old name without intending any offense.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think most of the "on the fence" people will first snarkily refer to it as "Palisades" or as an inside joke / shibboleth and laugh about it;
Then within a couple years people will forget they were saying the new name as a joke, and it will just sink it.

Just like "BJ's Brewhouse" restaurant.

New locations opened:
Everybody: "let's get some BJ's, hahaha, BJ!"
Couple years later, "Let's get some BJs" no innuendo

GoingLeft

Skier
I think the name clash is an issue. Palisades Tahoe already had a section called Palisades. Well, two I guess, though the "other" one at Alpine isn't as famous.
Yep. Maybe the cliffs people huck off at Palisades will now be called Squaw. ;)
There's also a little housing area in Olympic Vallley on the road toward Squaw/Palisades, called Palisades.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It also rains a lot down there ogwink .
Anyone ski there one of those days when West or East Face wet slid across the Mountain Run. Fun fun fun.

Actually think it was the only time I got first chair with KT Cheryl - leg breaking glop was the payoff and an immediate Funi up higher.