• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I actually think it would. Some portion of the casual visitors was coming to Squaw Valley because they saw the resort in ski movies, that association is now gone. You will be surprised how many people heard about Squaw Valley and wanted to visit it because of the 1960 Olympic Games, that association is now gone as well.
But are they NOT going to come? It will be more "Oh the name changed and either, well that make sense or well that sucks, and will still come.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And make no mistake, this change was NOT about the money, it was about doing what was right. If this was about the money, they would have looked the other way and kept the Squaw name because this change easily is in the solid six figures...very well seven figues.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
But are they NOT going to come? It will be more "Oh the name changed and either, well that make sense or well that sucks, and will still come.
Some odd them will not come, because they won't spend 30 seconds googling the name, or they will stay at Northstar or Heavenly. You don't realize how many people I met on the lifts who were curious about skiing at Squaw for a day because it was so famous.

Yes, the change costs Alterra a lot, and I have to admire their determination. Definitely wont buy them more good will with the locals, and they have not had much to begin with. I still think that as far as culture wars go, this one was on the weaker side, but I digress.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually think it would. Some portion of the casual visitors was coming to Squaw Valley because they saw the resort in ski movies, that association is now gone. You will be surprised how many people heard about Squaw Valley and wanted to visit it because of the 1960 Olympic Games, that association is now gone as well.
That....that would just be so horrible to have fewer casual visitors.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And make no mistake, this change was NOT about the money, it was about doing what was right. If this was about the money, they would have looked the other way and kept the Squaw name because this change easily is in the solid six figures...very well seven figues.
Emphasis of the baseline truth. Grousing won’t change that.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Locals and diehards will continue to call it Squaw, or Squalpine, if for no other reason than to be contrary. That's their deal, just like long timers (myself included) still call the Winters Creek side of Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe (Rose, for the locals) "the Slide side" since it used to be a stand-alone ski area called Slide Mountain. The snow, the mountain, the traffic, and the crowds will remain the same. Only the name has changed.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, and as @dbostedo said, he is looking forward to buying the merchandise.
I want a dark grey T-Shirt with a med-large logo centered on the chest. "Palisades Tahoe" on the back, but no words on the front. Just the logo. And I don't even ski there often. But I will buy that shirt first chance I get.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
That....that would just be so horrible to have fewer casual visitors.
Yes, for a ski resort business that needs customers it would be pretty bad. And Alterra does not make a lot of money off season pass holders. They need people to buy tickets at the window or online, eat burgers and drink $9 beers (I don't even know how much they cost now).

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Locals and diehards will continue to call it Squaw, or Squalpine, if for no other reason than to be contrary. That's their deal, just like long timers (myself included) still call the Winters Creek side of Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe (Rose, for the locals) "the Slide side" since it used to be a stand-alone ski area called Slide Mountain. The snow, the mountain, the traffic, and the crowds will remain the same. Only the name has changed.
Andy- with all due respect to Slide and Rose, it just does not have the same history. Here is the Wikipedia article on the 1960 Olympiad. Where was that? Let me see, can't find it on the map or on the web anymore... Oh, wait, it is called Palisades Tahoe now, but never mind...
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 2.10.12 PM.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is the Wikipedia article on the 1960 Olympiad.
I disagree that a lot of people ski there because of the 1960 Olympics. That was a billion years ago. Long before I was born. I took the usual touristy Olympic logo pictures when I first visited Olympic Valley, and I thought that was cool. But I was not visiting because of the Olympics at all. It's not like they've had ad campaigns about "ski where the Olympics your grandparents watched were held".

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy- with all due respect to Slide and Rose, it just does not have the same history. Here is the Wikipedia article on the 1960 Olympiad. Where was that? Let me see, can't find it on the map or on the web anymore... Oh, wait, it is called Palisades Tahoe now, but never mind...
View attachment 142283
I'm aware that Rose (see, there I go again) doesn't have the same history as Palisades. My point is people will stick, at least for a while, to what they've been calling it. Another Olympic tidbit, the Galena Creek Ski Jump was the alternate for the '60 Olympic ski jump competition. That's Galena Creek Park now.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"ski where the Olympics your grandparents watched were held"
*ahem* My PARENTS. :ogbiggrin: My mom and dad were in the USMC at the time and mom was at Squaw Valley because the Corps was hauling snow from the Mountain Warfare Training Center near Pickel Meadows near Bridgeport because it was a low tide year.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are cars right?
ok edited, besides the Palisades in NJ, and So Cal's Pacific Palisades, here is wikipedia's version of the Sierra Nevada Palisades
so I guess generic for bluff or mountain......
I’m a geek and happy that the new name is of geological significance. ogsmile

I want a t-shirt.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
*ahem* My PARENTS. :ogbiggrin: My mom and dad were in the USMC at the time and mom was at Squaw Valley because the Corps was hauling snow from the Mountain Warfare Training Center near Pickel Meadows near Bridgeport because it was a low tide year.
Um…..my brother was 8 and my sister was 6 in 1960. They probably watched it with my parents.

Sponsor

Staff online