• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some portion of the casual visitors was coming to Squaw Valley because they saw the resort in ski movies,
I find it hard to believe that many won’t come due to the name. First, if they actually saw it in a movie and want to come because of that, a name change won’t affect that. If it does, so what. They’ll get over it. Or not.
Second, the number of people who watch ski movies is tiny. I can believe that many of thise would ski Squaw, but I really think it’s a non issue for numbers.

Third, with passes driving visits, they could call it Turdsville and people will still come.

Short for the new name could be “Palita”, but will probably be “Pali-Tahoe”

“The name is new. The legend continues.”
Will they use this tagline? ABasin already uses ‘The Legend’.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It is Olympic Valley though. It's part of Palisades Tahoe. In the past I'm willing to bet most people didn't say "I'm skiing Squaw Valley-Alpine Meadows, on the Squaw side." So go ahead and say you're skiing Oly, or Olympic Valley, or the Valley, or whatever people get used to.

At the Gathering will we say we're skiing at Aspen Snowmass on a day we're at Highlands? Probably not.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At the Gathering will we say we're skiing at Aspen Snowmass on a day we're at Highlands? Probably not.
For that one, when you're not there yet, I think people just say "Aspen". I know I do, and people seem to get that it includes Snowmass.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, what I mostly object to is naming a whole resort, or pair of resorts, after one gnarly, legendary piece of terrain. Now there will be millions of skiers saying, "I skied the Palisades," when not one in a thousand actually did.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only reason it's called Olympic Valley is they needed a name for the post office, and there already was (and still is) another Squaw Valley post office in California.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
What would a guest to the Tahoe region think? That its a ski area full of unwelcoming fences?
Haha, that was my first thought when looked at the definition. Not very flattering, Don’t fence me in!

so I guess generic for bluff or mountain......
We climbed North Palisade years ago & even though I’ve skied the Squa... err Olympic Valley Palisades for decades, I think of that part of the Sierra mountains above Big Pine when I hear the word Palisades. Other ski resorts & ranges also have areas called Palisades.
north paisade.jpg

This is just another corporate branding effort just like Alterra or Ikon. I don’t care what they call it, I’ll still ski there. Big waste of resources if you ask me & I’m sure some marketing outfit had a team of Madison avenue kids who never skied a day doing a lot of very costly research to come up with this. I’d rather have higher quality grooming on Red Dog or No Traversing signs :ogcool: . Eventually there will be groups of people who call it Palisades but I think that it won’t happen for those who have spent time there in the past. It will always be what it has always been. I do agree a name change was inevitable as soon as someone pointed out the (unknown to most) derogatory nature of the term. I think Olympic Valley was the right call all along & I get the idea of Alterra wanting to combine the two resorts but to me Palisades Tahoe just doesn't do it :huh:

BTW, are they changing the name of Squaw Peak? Palisade Peak actually has a decent ring to it.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Short for the new name could be “Palita”, but will probably be “Pali-Tahoe”

Umm, it's kind of a bad thing that I could go so quickly from that to Pali-hoe. Hoe. Isn't that what started the name change in the first place? And I'm not trying to be funny.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So what mashup can we invent to replace Squalpine?

The release is vague about whether Alpine is included. if so, how do we distinguish the two base areas?
Personally I like to keep it simple so an anagram provides

I Loathed Ape Ass - seems snappy enough

though - Hopeless AI Data - is the true origin story of the Blandy Mcblandface corporate origin.

Maybe Blandy McMehface might stick as a protest name.

I mean what was so wrong with Gnarnia? It was there on a plate for them plus could have added a lion and a closet to the logo which would be cool....

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Umm, it's kind a bad thing that I could go so quickly from that to Pali-hoe. Hoe. Isn't that what started the name change in the first place? And I'm not trying to be funny.
Or “Pali-Ho!” So what?
Are we going to change “Tahoe” now because it has ‘hoe’ in it?

I don’t really get where the palisade name came ftom though. Palisades are sheer cliffs.