• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So what mashup can we invent to replace Squalpine?

The release is vague about whether Alpine is included. if so, how do we distinguish the two base areas?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I looked at the webcams to see what they are doing there. One side is called (predictably) Alpine Meadows and the other side is now called "Olympic Valley". Makes sense. But yes, "Squaw" will still be in casual use for a long time, no doubt.
I guess that answers my question.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Remember base-to-base gondola coming soon too; so the future perspective is to focus on combining rather than separating; already they are claiming the combined acres and other metrics as 1 megaresort.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have much of a problem with Palisades Tahoe and I understand why they had to do it. I thought they were going to go with Olympic Valley as a global name but I see why they renamed the Squaw part that and kept Alpine. As far as the tradtionlists....sorry, get over yourself and move on. It's still the same awesome mountain with the same tremendous terrain.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Palispine?? :ogbiggrin:
Palpatine

It doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue
Agreed, too many syllables. Probably will get shortened among locals to something else. First step would be to drop the Tahoe bit because that seems a bit too vague and redundant for anyone in the area (duh of course it's in Tahoe). Then again, Park City Mountain Resort is still called Park City, so there's that...

Palisades
P-sades
Palace
Alice
Salad
'Sades
'Sade-o
Slide-o
Palli
Play-doh
:ogbiggrin:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Uggg... For some reason I am not thrilled with the new name. According to the dictionary, palisades means "a fence of wooden stakes or iron railings fixed in the ground, forming an enclosure or defense". How is that related to skiing??? What would a guest to the Tahoe region think? That its a ski area full of unwelcoming fences? Really? If you wanted to dump more than half a century of reputation, branding, and ski world legend, rename it Granite Peaks, at least that would have told you something about the place's character... This new name feels like an inside joke.

Yes, it is an area at Squaw that is decently well-known, but (a) it is open a few days a year and never on weekends (b) not a lot of guests get up there because of the required hike, and even fewer of them can ski it, and (c) why not name the resort after other just as famous landmarks, like Eagle's Nest, Granite Peak, Sacrifice, Silverado, you name it. FWIIW, they could have renamed it Solitude Tahoe just to give people a false impression...

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Alexzn LOL solitude :roflmao:.

I m 100% for the name change, and I understand that the IOC probably would have had a legal aneurysm if they used "Olympic Valley". I feel like they could have done a lot better.
I do dig the new logo though. Way cooler than the old one.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I also think that they have missed a huge opportunity to come up with a unified branding between Squaw and Alipine. If they wanted to combine the two mountains, unifying the name would be a huge positive step. Palisades-Alipine just does not roll off the tongue. My prediction is that more name changes are coming.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Alexzn LOL solitude :roflmao:.

I m 100% for the name change, and I understand that the IOC probably would have had a legal aneurysm if they used "Olympic Valley". I feel like they could have done a lot better.
I do dig the new logo though. Way cooler than the old one.
I dont even like the logo, I think it is just so damn generic. I know where it has come from and its a nice tribute to Shane, but still it is another inside joke.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the resort website, and the Ikon website it looks like the combined area is Pallisades Tahoe, with the Alpine Meadows side and the Olympic Valley side.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Looking at the resort website, and the Ikon website it looks like the combined area is Pallisades Tahoe, with the Alpine Meadows side and the Olympic Valley side.
Right, sounds like they snuck in the unallowable name. We will see how the public takes the new name. I asm glad I bought a bunch of the old logo merchandise at the end of the last season;-)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no skin in the game...I live 3000 miles away and have only skied there once, and the name change will not deter me from going there again. But I'll state my opinion anyways. The name is a bit clunky. It seems like it should be "Palisades at Tahoe" (too close to Sierra at Tahoe?), "Tahoe Palisades", "Alpine Palisades", maybe just "Palisades"...or a whole host of other options they must have gone through.

And orange? Really? They have a whole color spectrum, and orange is the color of choice?

ETA: I do like the logo...pretty solid. Especially after reading the description on it and the thought process that went into it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A two part question, will the new name stop any of the true diehards from skiing there and will it stop anyone else from vacationing there? the answer to both parts is "no".

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
A two part question, will the new name stop any of the true diehards from skiing there and will it stop anyone else from vacationing there? the answer to both parts is "no".
I actually think it would. Some portion of the casual visitors was coming to Squaw Valley because they saw the resort in ski movies, that association is now gone. You will be surprised how many people heard about Squaw Valley and wanted to visit it because of the 1960 Olympic Games, that association is now gone as well.