• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
With almost 50yrs under my belt at this mountain this ol dog, with indian blood running through his veins, won't be learning new tricks or names. If you by chance are lucky enough to find a 'Ski Squaw' or 'Shred Squaw' sticker on your windshield this winter it didn't come from me ;-)

PS It's a name. Nobody, until the angry guilt ridden millenial brought it up, ever thought of the term being offensive to anyone and most still don't. Get over it and your other First-World issues. 'Angel fly because they take themselves lightly.'

Maybe beyond the finally being sensitive to the people for whom the old name matters they are making a business decision. I.e. the rebrand isn't for your generation, you're not going to be putting money through the registers for ever. It might be for the millennials and beyond who might be turned off by "racist grandpa" type names in various consumer categories.

I don't particularly like the new name for its corporate blandness but maybe I'll get used to it, while having to consider what to do with FKAS stickers on various skis. At the moment I'd be more upset about the identity threat to AM if I was a local but I suspect that will remain resolutely Alpine even if the green and logo officially disappear.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has the best nickname ever: "Kick Ass", because it does.
That’s funny cuz after my first visit there I started calling it ”Kicking Ass” :ogcool:

It will surely be shortened to Pali-wood.
Or Olywood (pronounced with a cockney accent)

The map from a recent Caldor Fire briefing still shows Sierra Ski Ranch, name changed 25+ yrs ago…
DD1322AB-5E54-44C6-B476-E0BB9D19F732.jpeg

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
That’s funny cuz after my first visit there I started calling it ”Kicking Ass” :ogcool:

Or Olywood

The map from a recent Caldor Fire briefing still shows Sierra Ski Ranch, name changed 25+ yrs ago…
View attachment 142388
And Ski Echo Tahoe!

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
PS It's a name. Nobody, until the angry guilt ridden millenial brought it up, ever thought of the term being offensive to anyone and most still don't. Get over it and your other First-World issues. 'Angel fly because they take themselves lightly.'

As a middle- and high-schooler in Phoenix in the '90s, I was well aware of the controversy over the "Squaw Peak" name attached to a prominent local mountain, park, street, freeway, etc. Locally it was largely resolved in 2003 by renaming to Piestewa Peak. But it certainly wasn't millennials driving awareness and change back then.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pffft. Name changes happen all of the time. I learned to deal w/Sears Point, Infineon, Raceway at Sonoma. It's a name. Things change. Lets ski or snowboard.

Now where can I order a Palisades Trucker Cap???

Hey, just a curious speculation, how many forum pages would we get in 24 hours if Stockli changed their name???

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This really has nothing to do with Palisades Tahoe, but as an anecdote.
There was a bank in my home town that was named after the Kent family of Grand Rapids, MI. They had a ton of stuff around Grand Rapids MI named after them.
Old Kent Bank, Old Kent Park, Old Kent (you name it)

They sponsored the minor league ball team in GR, the White Caps. (after the big waves on Lake Michigan)

So it was Old Kent Ball Park. Has a ring to it, right?

Old Kent Bank was bought out by a bank out of Ohio that was a merger of two institutions, the Fifth National Bank and the Third National Bank. The 5/3 Bank.
Now the ball park is called the 5/3 ball park. Not quite the same feel in a name, but there you have it. They still play ball and the fans still come out to cheer.

James

Out There
Instructor
10 pages in over 2 1/2 days isn’t that big a deal. It’s off season. Few are happy with the new name. It’s an egg with no salt. Fine for a raccoon. (Ronald Reagan)
Will it eventually become like Crans-Montana ? Doubtful because of the 3 - 2 syllables instead of 1 - 3.
I thought this was terrible at first, but now, eh? It’s fine.
36C234A4-957F-4EED-9E30-F60FE5DCF96D.jpeg
Formerly -
CFEE2470-8B5C-4F28-B81D-1D11AA0EE927.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
On the subject of sports teams I remain more convinced that the geographic nexus remains more important than the mascoty name. Of my 2 closest allegiances I was slightly disturbed by the Americanism when Warriors was appended to the name unnecessarily but then at least the town had a Roman heritage of sorts and was less silly than the appendage of Rhinos or Wolves to other clubs in the league, being unaware of Rhinoceros ever roaming the Wuthering Heights of West Yorkshire (though it no doubt would have spiced up the world of the Brontes).

Not sure this holds for the peripatetic Raider Nation?

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
10 pages in over 2 1/2 days isn’t that big a deal. It’s off season. Few are happy with the new name. It’s an egg with no salt. Fine for a raccoon. (Ronald Reagan)
Will it eventually become like Crans-Montana ? Doubtful because of the 3 - 2 syllables instead of 1 - 3.
I thought this was terrible at first, but now, eh? It’s fine.
View attachment 142440
Formerly -
View attachment 142441
And they only have to repaint half of the name!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like the name!

Palisades are typically steep features that magnificently project to define the topography. Squaw and Alpine are dominated by such features. It really is an appropriate name for the area.

Alterra had to do something. Even without any controversy, merging the resorts was going to force a rebranding. Alpine for both would really sit badly with the long time Alpine Meadows faithful and is not properly descriptive of the combined resort. Squaw Valley is the name of the valley where the golf course and parking lot reside - not of a challenging mountain.

We live in a world where the resort's name that for decades was built up to signify fun, challenge and exhilaration has been co-opted into a modern slur (strange because all of my associations with "Squaw" are good and positive - I wonder if many Native Americans have been diminished by the name change). This is the world we live in and Alterra has acted wisely when such action was needed.

What really matters is that KT is still KT!

Eric

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This really has nothing to do with Palisades Tahoe, but as an anecdote.
There was a bank in my home town that was named after the Kent family of Grand Rapids, MI. They had a ton of stuff around Grand Rapids MI named after them.
Old Kent Bank, Old Kent Park, Old Kent (you name it)

They sponsored the minor league ball team in GR, the White Caps. (after the big waves on Lake Michigan)

So it was Old Kent Ball Park. Has a ring to it, right?

Old Kent Bank was bought out by a bank out of Ohio that was a merger of two institutions, the Fifth National Bank and the Third National Bank. The 5/3 Bank.
Now the ball park is called the 5/3 ball park. Not quite the same feel in a name, but there you have it. They still play ball and the fans still come out to cheer.
It changed this year (or maybe last year) now it's Lake Michigan Credit Union ballpark - LMCU for short. Even klunkier.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It changed this year (or maybe last year) now it's Lake Michigan Credit Union ballpark - LMCU for short. Even klunkier.
:doh: That is less intutitive than Palisades Tahoe.

Another anecdote:
When Vail bought Northstar Tahoe, they rebranded to Northstar California. I was blown away by the minor change that likely cost them millions in rebranding and swag.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What really matters is that KT is still KT!

Eric
Gee…I don’t know how to break this to you but the feeling was KT was disrespectful to Kate Hudson (some of her friends call her Katie). So they’re planning a name change. Right now the leading candidate is No Offense Intended.

Weak comedic attempts aside, I think getting off names that trouble Native Americans is a really nice thing. Given history a show of empathy and respect seems warranted.

Sponsor