• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Maybe beyond the finally being sensitive to the people for whom the old name matters they are making a business decision. I.e. the rebrand isn't for your generation, you're not going to be putting money through the registers for ever. It might be for the millennials and beyond who might be turned off by "racist grandpa" type names in various consumer categories.

I don't particularly like the new name for its corporate blandness but maybe I'll get used to it, while having to consider what to do with FKAS stickers on various skis. At the moment I'd be more upset about the identity threat to AM if I was a local but I suspect that will remain resolutely Alpine even if the green and logo officially disappear.
I kinda understand that but I also think almost nobody (outside of a reservation) under the age of 80 has heard the term squaw used as a racial epithet either. I've never heard it used that way.

Does this also mean anyone who fails to take their squaw bumper sticker off the car or the posters in this thread yearning to get an old school squaw shirt or hat before they disappear are racist people? I doubt it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I kinda understand that but I also think almost nobody (outside of a reservation) under the age of 80 has heard the term squaw used as a racial epithet either. I've never heard it used that way.

Does this also mean anyone who fails to take their squaw bumper sticker off the car or the posters in this thread yearning to get an old school squaw shirt or hat before they disappear are racist people? I doubt it.
I dunno. Failing to immediately scrape off a sticker vs consciously going out and buying merch with the old name on it when you know why it's been axed? There's something as a minimum a bit reactionary in there unless truly it's going into a private vault as a collector.

Me , I'm used to sticker mashups and that's definitely a thing around FKA so I might simply FKA over any stickers on my skis and tell people it stands for FKinA, might as well mess with people;)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Callous and uncaring? Yes. Whether that amounts to racism or not is pointless.

BTW, it is not an "epithet" per se. Rather it is a derogatory and condescending sterotype. Its use also reduces all "Indians" or "Native Americans" to being the same in some way. The word originally came to English speakers from the 17th century encounters of Europeans with Algonquin tribes. Those tribes are about 3,000 miles away from Tahoe and do not remotely share a culture or language.

I don't want to take us too far off the rail here, but you did ask. And I think the answer is more nuanced and less dismissive than your question.

EDIT: I should add that I heard it in use in cartoons, TV shows, Movies and books quite a bit growing up. I may be older than you.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dunno. Failing to immediately scrape off a sticker vs consciously going out and buying merch with the old name on it when you know why it's been axed? There's something as a minimum a bit reactionary in there unless truly it's going into a private vault as a collector.

Me , I'm used to sticker mashups and that's definitely a thing around FKA so I might simply FKA over any stickers on my skis and tell people it stands for FKinA, might as well mess with people;)

Just curious...what does FKA stand for?

GoingLeft

...then right, then left, then right.....
Skier
New lift names:
• Resort Creek
• Wa She Shu (which I believe is a traditional name for Washoe)

Those are fine IMO -maybe even better as a way to differentiate them, since they used to both have the word "Squaw" in them.

I will say that despite it just being a name change and the knowledge that it IS been run by a corporation, the Palisades logo on trucks and things, LOOK and FEEL more corporate and distanced.

1632329829573.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@GoingLeft I kind of agree with you about the logo looking more corporate.
IMHO They should have maintained a logo that resembled the old logo, even though they clearly needed to change the name.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What's the Resort at FKA Creek renaming as? Can't see Alterra letting them rebrand as the Resort at Palisades Tahoe but Resort at Resort Creek is a bit well.....

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
New lift names:
• Resort Creek
• Wa She Shu (which I believe is a traditional name for Washoe)

Those are fine IMO -maybe even better as a way to differentiate them, since they used to both have the word "Squaw" in them.

I will say that despite it just being a name change and the knowledge that it IS been run by a corporation, the Palisades logo on trucks and things, LOOK and FEEL more corporate and distanced.

View attachment 142878
New lift names also showing now in the trailmap and in the Palisades app.

The info on the Resort at squaw creek is they will rename as well but potentially not until next April.

The resort at squaw creek name is still the same in the trailmap.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Why Wa She Shu ? Becuase they had to give Native Americans something? Sounds like a drunken slur uttered by someone coming out of the Tram Bar nearby... Squaw One (the former name for that lift) had a clear history behind it, it was the first lift built in Squaw Valley, hence the name. Rename it Palisades One, Palisades Original, Washoe One... Just keep the One in the name...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know if you were being faecitious, It's the name the washoe tribe calls themselves.

If you don't like the name or you think its a stupid decision that's ok that's your opinion, but the "Why" is obvious.

If you're talking about history, given it's such an unfamiliar term, some people will potentially look it up and actually learn some "history". Who's really going to look up "One" anywhere except liftblog.com enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been involved in the naming of apartment properties over the years. Early on the trend was away from unique names in favor of generic to the point that brand, locational characteristics and originality became lost. There’s been something towards a move towards capturing location in the name but generic still rules.

Tier I generic apartment names include Creek, Canyon, Club, Villas, Deer, Springs, etc. or some combination thereof. Tier II includes Palisades. In the case of apartments I’m not sure it really matters beyond the initial capital raise. Many residents know their address but not the name of their property.

With ski resorts, name factors more into the brand. In the subject case it seems very corporate and unimaginative to go with Palisades when there’s history and surroundings that can be captured. Olympic history is just one example. It seems to exemplify a decision made in order to not get fired as opposed to further a greater objective. At least they didn’t go with Snowy Mountains.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier

Does not caring if language you use is racist make you a little racist? I think so but clearly YMMV.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if you were being faecitious, It's the name the washoe tribe calls themselves.

If you don't like the name or you think its a stupid decision that's ok that's your opinion, but the "Why" is obvious.

If you're talking about history, given it's such an unfamiliar term, some people will potentially look it up and actually learn some "history". Who's really going to look up "One" anywhere except liftblog.com enthusiasts.
I really like the “look it up and learn some history” part. ogsmile And no, I’m not being facetious. I do this all the time in unfamiliar places..

Last edited:

GoingLeft

...then right, then left, then right.....
Skier
New lift names also showing now in the trailmap and in the Palisades app.

The info on the Resort at squaw creek is they will rename as well but potentially not until next April.

The resort at squaw creek name is still the same in the trailmap.
They are planning on changing it.