• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Well, its back to work. Völkl content inside

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One thing that Volkl has done since we have been talking to them over the past few years is to set thier skis up for success. Whenever we went to an industry demo, we were directed to deal with the head of marketing to make sure we got on specifically tuned skis. We have shared horror stories about getting on skis that were simply "not ready for prime time". This has not been the case with Volkl and it does not appear to be the case with the skis that were sent to us.
IMG_4286.jpeg

Mantra M6 bases
IMG_4287.jpeg

Deacon Master 76 Bases
IMG_4289.jpeg

Deacon side bevel
IMG_4290.jpeg

Deacon base bevel

Volkl is specific with which bindings they want used for testing their skis...
IMG_4291.jpeg

In a perfect world, I would have preferred to ski these with a Salomon Sth2 13 demo or Look Pivot 15, the bindings I have on the rest of the 97-100 skis in the category but we will respect their wishes.​

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t remember the last time I got off a Volkl at a test and wondered about the tune. There’s been a few times I didn’t want to hand skis back though...

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
In a perfect world, I would have preferred to ski these with a Salomon Sth2 13 demo or Look Pivot 15, the bindings I have on the rest of the 97-100 skis in the category but we will respect their wishes.
I just put a 2.5mm HDPE spacer under the rear demo track plate (in conjunction with the appropriate longer length screws) to insure a positive delta with Marker Demo Bindings. Has made a huge difference in positive feedback and sales of our demos with Marker Bindings. I have brought this issue up with the Marker folks and I get a shoulder shrug.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I just put a 2.5mm HPDE spacer under the rear demo track plate (in conjunction with the appropriate longer length screws) to insure a positive delta with Marker Demo Bindings. Has made a huge difference in positive feedback and sales of our demos with Marker Bindings. I have brought this issue up with the Marker folks and I get a shoulder shrug.

I told them basically the same at the Waterville demo and it was like I had two heads.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I told them basically the same at the Waterville demo and it was like I had two heads.

They've actually got it right, but it works against the current tide of all the other equipment variables involved so it results in a poor end user experience. Now if everyone would just get on board with zero delta at the binding...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They've actually got it right, but it works against the current tide of all the other equipment variables involved so it results in a poor end user experience. Now if everyone would just get on board with zero delta at the binding...
Actually....it is a negative delta, 29.7 toe, 28.6 heel.

reversed.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
This is one reason why I liked the Deacon 72 better than the Deacon V-Werks. With the piston plate/binding setup I can choose the delta vs. the Low-rider binding where it is fixed.

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
A big ole bag of Völkls arrived at the house. I guess I took too much time off recovering. back to the old grindstone.
I was able to get on the Deacon Masters 76 in the 176cm lenght back in Waterville Valley, I told my connection at Völkl if I lose my pass, I will be giving them a call. I am looking forward to skiing the new M6 Mantra in both the 177 and 84 to compare how the new construction changes between lengths. @DoryBreaux @ScotsSkier @Andy Mink @Alexzn @WadeHoliday your services might be needed.
Hey Phil,
Skied both the Deacon Master 76 and the new Mantra M6...both very good skis of course. The M6 was very impressive!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_4305.jpeg
I took out the Deacon Master 76's today. All morning they mocked me and yelled... Ist das alles was Du hast? Mich. Stiefmütterchen..schnell...schnell!!!! What ever they were saying, I don't think it was a compliment.

61C76AF7-EFFA-4C34-9AC1-D5FF685D725C.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
get both good, or get one good?
I wouldn't say get both, there is a good amount of overlap, err to the 72 for edge to edge quickness and the 76 for a bit more mixed snow. If you are between sizes..err to the longer of two sizes, they really like to run.

Sponsor

Staff online