• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I see that Steve Nyman participated in the training run today at Wengen

He was one of eight American’s

Ligety did as well.

Nyman was the fastest.... of the American’s

James

Out There
Instructor
Hard to get tired of this clip.
Daron Rhalves, Chad Fleischer, Bernhard Russi are the first three to talk.

Bode-"You get near the end and essentially you're passing out...everything goes gray, you get tunnel vision...and you have to make two of the toughest turns of any downhill."

Here's former British downhiller Graham Bell skiing and narrating the course. I guess that's the year someone did hit 100mph.

Here's Hans Knauss skiing it in 2016. Narrating in German. Hans was a little better than Graham in their days. Looks like they allowed him to do it on race day.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Knauss is running camera on pretty much every men DH race, just minutes before first forerunner starts (regardless of training or race days). He's doing it for Austrian TV and if I'm correct, Bode did Kitz year or two ago same way for one of US tv's right? There's always 1 or 2 guys with camera going down before forerunners so it's not some special thing to run the course on race day. I mean sure not every single TV who bought right can have their guy on top, but nomally home tv/international feed get one spot and then it's pretty much always ORF (austrian TV) and from time to time third one (Swiss or US).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just watched the men's DH in Wengen... I love that course, and it was looonnnggggg this year. Crazy to see world cup skiers wedging to slow down in the narrow chute before the s-turn.

And neat to see the winner...
come from bib #1 and hold on the whole time. Feuz had a good day, but it did make the back half of the race boring since all the best skiers went early.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
WOW, ALS finished 0.18 back and look at this! Might say it was a bit close
10BE5B6B-D8C3-463E-A668-C4A74D082933.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just out of curiosity, I went and found the downhill route on Hillmaps and traced it. Here's the overview... you can see the S turn, and then the place where it goes under the railway just after.

upload_2018-1-13_22-25-5.png

upload_2018-1-13_22-25-29.png

And here's the profile. Not really very steep.

upload_2018-1-13_22-23-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-13_22-23-11.png
    upload_2018-1-13_22-23-11.png
    542.1 KB · Views: 9

Sponsor